Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Players leaving the womens team this summer

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
With the final match of the season coming up on Saturday, and with survival in the WSL confirmed we are now starting to hear about those players who will be leaving the Womens team this summer.

Heard about Victoria Williams last evening, but also joining her in leaving the club are Kayleigh Green, Megan Connolly, Megan Walsh and Danielle Carter. Most of these I'd expected, though a bit surprised at Connolly as she is coming back from injury and had looked good before that had happened.

Just have to hope that we recruit BETTER this summer than last year and don't start the season with a very thin squad. This year has not been a fun watch - unlike the mens!!

UTA

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Getting out of Crawley to help increase attendances also needs to be a priority.

I wonder of Brighton Uni have a bit of land that could be developed into a 2,000 seater stadium?

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
With the final match of the season coming up on Saturday, and with survival in the WSL confirmed we are now starting to hear about those players who will be leaving the Womens team this summer.

Heard about Victoria Williams last evening, but also joining her in leaving the club are Kayleigh Green, Megan Connolly, Megan Walsh and Danielle Carter. Most of these I'd expected, though a bit surprised at Connolly as she is coming back from injury and had looked good before that had happened.

Just have to hope that we recruit BETTER this summer than last year and don't start the season with a very thin squad. This year has not been a fun watch - unlike the mens!!

UTA
Some experienced players there so a bit of a worry. Expect Robinson to be picked off for free by one of the top 3 just like Le Tissier was.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Am I right in thinking that player churn and contract length still seems crazy in the women's game.

It reminds me of our days knocking down the lower leagues when we'd rock up at Worthing for our first pre-season fixture and spend the whole game trying to figure out who all the new faces were.

Sep 29, 2017
Portslade
Getting out of Crawley to help increase attendances also needs to be a priority.

I wonder of Brighton Uni have a bit of land that could be developed into a 2,000 seater stadium?
Can I suggest this area although it might be a tad tight
1685014150752.png

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
We lost several good players at end of last season....Can somebody tell me if the latest 5 players want to leave to improve there lot or Brighton not willing to offer them another contract and want them to go

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
But seriously, I know there are regulations about minimum stadium requirements for WSL football. These are massively damaging to the growth of women's football and I hope we are arguing for an exemption.

If we could play games at Withdean, Lancing, Worthing, Lewes, Whitehawk, we would get good crowds.

I actually don't agree with playing at the Amex. RDZ's football required us to have a very reliable playing surface so the less football there the better. And of course, it's too big and not economical.

Jul 7, 2003
But seriously, I know there are regulations about minimum stadium requirements for WSL football. These are massively damaging to the growth of women's football and I hope we are arguing for an exemption.

If we could play games at Withdean, Lancing, Worthing, Lewes, Whitehawk, we would get good crowds.

I actually don't agree with playing at the Amex. RDZ's football required us to have a very reliable playing surface so the less football there the better. And of course, it's too big and not economical.
Lancing and Worthing can't be used as they have artificial surfaces.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Lancing and Worthing can't be used as they have artificial surfaces.
But again, isn't there a bigger picture?

We have a women's team in a progressive city that would get very good gates if they played remotely near where their supporter base is.

Nobody will go to Crawley as it's basically Palace up there. If they toured around the towns which make up our supporter base, they could be playing to packed houses and starting the process of making the women's game commercially viable. So what if it's a plastic pitch?

The game is massively loss making and the Brighton WSL team certainly is. It's only really Tony's generosity in paying for wages and facilities that's keeping this whole thing afloat. It's ridiculous to be asking him to build a bespoke stadium when there are perfectly good ones locally which could be used.

The authorities running the women's game need to change the regulations.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Am I right in thinking that player churn and contract length still seems crazy in the women's game.

Yep, most contracts are 1 year, or even only to the end of the season if signed after the season has started. It is starting to change with 2 year contracts coming in, and occasionally longer but I've not heard of many.

Of the ones that are leaving, 3 are at the end of their top flight careers (Williams, Green, Carter). Walsh didn't play for awhile even though she is our best goalie so I'm assuming the team already knew she was off. Connolly I'd have hoped that we'd offer a new contract, but maybe with the injury was too much of a risk or she wanted to go elsewhere.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean

2000?
It'll need to be the minimum of Withdean sized attendance when the girls get to the Brighton area.....and that may not be enough in the future. The female game is developing fast and it's a secure way to introduce kids to football match crowds.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Withdean is not a bad shout, put the South Stand back and it would satisfy the regulations and would a be a lot cheaper than building a purpose built stadium.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Face it. Just about nobody is going to watch the women's team in Crawley. Unless they are friends and family of players. Or happen to be mildly interested and happen to live in Crawley. And yes I'm sure there's a myriad BS regulations why the team can't play anywhere in the myriad of stadiums in the vicinity of B&H. But that's the club's problem to address if they genuinely want to grow the game :shrug:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Face it. Just about nobody is going to watch the women's team in Crawley. Unless they are friends and family of players. Or happen to be mildly interested and happen to live in Crawley. And yes I'm sure there's a myriad BS regulations why the team can't play anywhere in the myriad of stadiums in the vicinity of B&H. But that's the club's problem to address if they genuinely want to grow the game :shrug:
What about the 4600 at the last home game, or 3200 the game before that?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Maybe they got the wrong Connolly?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here