Players in our squad not up to it. v2

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The sooner Hoskins plays the better IMO. Even though I have time for Barnes and think he has potential, he simply misses too many chances in front of goal at the moment.

Even though he has 7 goals so far (5 league & 2 cup), 1 more than Mackail Smith (5 league and 1 cup)
and even though he has the same number of assists as Noone and Mackail Smith?

How many chances does he get, what is his shots to goals percentage? I'd bet its pretty good. At the moment he has only had a few half chances, its not as if he has 9 or 10 efforts and missing them all or missing sitters is it? He and Mackail Smith are not getting enough chances created for them imo which may need looking at (is the defence and midfield too deep and isolating the forwards, and is this why Barnes has to come so deep to be able to get on the ball?) and not just resort to the easy option of blaming the strikers for not being good enough etc ...

It amazes me how quick some are to slag off our players when it is completely unjustified. These things usually start off by people who arn't even watching him play making assumptions about players and then the rumour spreads rapidly until enough people are convinced its fact. Just look at Southern Sids ban wind up and how many quickly jumped on the anti club / anti Richard Hebberd bandwagon which turned out to be complete rubbish too.

Ankergren has his best game of the season and gets put on yet another "whose not good enough thread". Some people need to get out more and broaden their horizons ( and their knowledge/understanding ).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Even though he has 7 goals so far (5 league & 2 cup), 1 more than Mackail Smith (5 league and 1 cup)

How many chances does he get, what is his shots to goals percentage? I'd bet its pretty good. At the moment he has only had a few half chances, its not as if he has 9 or 10 efforts and missing them all or missing sitters is it? He and Mackail Smith are not getting enough chances created for them imo which may need looking at (is the defence and midfield too deep and isolating the forwards, and is this why Barnes has to come so deep to be able to get on the ball?) and not just resort to the easy option of blaming the strikers for not being good enough etc ...

It amazes me how quick some are to slag off our players when it is completely unjustified. These things usually start off by people who arn't even watching him play making assumptions about players and then the rumour spreads rapidly until enough people are convinced its fact. Just look at Southern Sids ban wind up and how many quickly jumped on the anti club / anti Richard Hebberd bandwagon which turned out to be complete rubbish too.

Well said although I suspect this was a fishing thread.

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
I started this thread a few weeks ago and got slaughtered, so I'm just going to start a new one, with a few new additions.

Barnes
Ankergren
Painter
Dicker
Calderon
Navarro
Sparrow

Interestingly, all the ones who appear to be undroppable no matter how badly they play.

Just thought I'd put this in....
Barnes - 5 league goals this season. Where in the league would we be without those goals?
Ankergren - Proved against Hull he can compete at this level.
Painter - Yes he isn't the fastest, but apart from slipping over (not his fault) and mis contolling the ball a few times what has he actually done wrong?
Dicker - Hasn't been at his best lately but when he is, his vision is top draw.
Calderon - Are you on something?
Navarro - Hasn't really had the 90 minutes he needs to prove himself.
Sparrow - Showed against Hull he can do it at this level. Vicente wouldn't have performed as well without Sparrow feeding him the ball.

Last edited:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Yeh but if you actually attended (or paid attention at) matches you'd quickly realise he only has a lot of goals because he converts other peoples penalties.

Andy of Didim

Didim Seagull
Mar 29, 2010
Altinkum Turkey
I'm not disagreeing with you're point at all... We clearly are punching above our weight, but some of our current fans seem to think we should be flying higher than we are, according to this site!

Put things into perspective, 18 months ago we were struggling, bigtime.... Suddenly God turned up and we turned results around in a very short space of time and then, he only went and got us promoted into a far bigger division than we came from... We are holding are own with players that cannot cope with this bigger stage, but they did earn the right to be here! Gus has given them the opportunity to show him what they can do, so 5th at this stage is far better than I expected!

We really do have to remember where we came from!

Spot on i would be more worried if i was a Leicester fan

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I started this thread a few weeks ago and got slaughtered, so I'm just going to start a new one, with a few new additions.

Barnes
Ankergren
Painter
Dicker
Calderon
Navarro
Sparrow

Interestingly, all the ones who appear to be undroppable no matter how badly they play.

Does that mean you now think Harley IS good enough (he's one of the many you've wanted out before) or are you considering him already out?

Seeing as Calderon is one of the "undroppable" players, what's your take on where he was against Palace?

You must be an absolute JOY to sit next to at a game.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yeh but if you actually attended (or paid attention at) matches you'd quickly realise he only has a lot of goals because he converts other peoples penalties.

And you dismiss that like it's easy. Were you at our games last season, when we made penalty taking look anything but routine.

Seagulls4life

Jul 30, 2010
Brighton
Barnes- Scoring goals in this division, he's only young and can only get better.
Ankergren- Made some good saves Saturday and kept a clean sheet.
Painter- He's up to it, don't forget that there is some quality wingers in this league and he's going to struggle, just like other full backs struggle against Noone and Vicente
Dicker- Played well Saturday, i thought so anyway.
Calderon- Don't know why he isn't good enough.
Navarro- Hasn't played many games yet.
Sparrow- He played brilliantly Saturday.

No one in this squad is "Not up to it" we just need to play better all over the pitch, kick out the silly little mistakes.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Ankergren & Navarro have both played in the Championship as well. Not often enough to count as "experience" though.

As a promoted L1 side, it takes time to build a Championship squad. It's not really something you can do in one summer, more of a gradual process - identifying those who are not good enough, and bringing in players who prove that they are. Anyone expecting that to have already happened, 2 months into the new season, is deluding themselves.

Just out of interest, how many in the Norwich winning team on saturday played for them at Div 1 level two years ago? Does anyone know?

I think if you come up with young players say out of a youth squad, you can get them to go further. Not so sure with 25+ year-olds. Expect Gus to ship in a load of new faces come the New Year window,

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just out of interest, how many in the Norwich winning team on saturday played for them at Div 1 level two years ago? Does anyone know?

I think if you come up with young players say out of a youth squad, you can get them to go further. Not so sure with 25+ year-olds. Expect Gus to ship in a load of new faces come the New Year window,

6 I think at first glance. Hoolahan, Crofts, Bennett, Pilkington, Johnson & Holt. Edited to say not all for Norwich but played at that level for other teams like Leeds, Brighton & Huddersfield.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2

3 - Russell Martin, Wes Hoolahan & Grant Holt. Few others were playing at that level but with other clubs (Bennett, Crofts, Johnson, Pilkington, Morison etc..). Very few youth graduates, if any, involved though.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How many chances does he get, what is his shots to goals percentage? I'd bet its pretty good.

According to Ashley Barnes Bio, Stats, News - Football / Soccer - - ESPN Soccernet

This season
Shots: 28
Shots on goal: 10
Goals: 7 (70% of shots on target, 18.4% of shots)

Last season
Shots 71
Shots on goal 34
Goals 20 (58.8% of shots on target, 19.0% of shots)

For perspective:

CMS (this season)
Shots 22
On goals 12
Goals 6

CMS (last season)
Shots 99
On goal 52
Goals 35

Rickie Lambert (this season)
Shots 30
on goal 13
Goals 11

Rickie Lambert (Last season)
Shots 149
on goal 81
goals 21

Ross McCormack (this year)
Shots: 35
On goals 21
Goals 10

Glenn Muarray (this year)
Shots 21
on goal 9
Goals 3

GlennMurray (last year)
Shots 82
on goal 27
goals 22

"Chances to goals" is harder to determine because what you may think is a chance sat in the stands, or watching on TV, may not be as great an opportunity as someone else does, or what is a chance for a player on the pitch in the heat of the moment.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Who remembers 'Penalty Prize' on 'On The Ball' during the seventies where kids, some as young as 12 would take penalties against the top keepers in the country and regularly score 4 or 5 out of 5.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
And you dismiss that like it's easy. Were you at our games last season, when we made penalty taking look anything but routine.

Season ticket so yes, but my point remains that taking penalties (and he does do it well) is not reason enough to have him on the pitch.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think we have got to get the spine of the side right if we play 4-3-3 which mean a central midfielder, a good central defender and a better second central striker ideally. These sort of players cost lots of dosh in wages especially. I am not so concerned about the wide players. But I said that at the start of the season. If a really good left back became available that would be a bonus.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Season ticket so yes, but my point remains that taking penalties (and he does do it well) is not reason enough to have him on the pitch.

No it's not - although the ability to take a free kick got Beckham about 20 England caps beyond the days when he contributed in open play - but they are still goals he's scored this season, and they are not goals we can say would automatically say someone else would have scored.

But I do agree he needs to do more than justs core penalties, but for me, he does. The bigger problem I have regarding Barnes is the role he seems to be asked to play. He's so withdrawn most of the time, that I don't understand why we are picking a forward to play that role and not a wide midfielder.

People always seem to have been quick to get on Barnes back, but I can't see why myself. I like the guy, I think he's a very good forward, but only a moderate right sided midfielder.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
How about a thread on fans who are not worthy of being called one - I'll start by nominating you

What exactly are you hoping to achieve with these types of threads? to undermine players so they perform worse?
One of the best things last season was how pretty much everyone was behind the team (except maybe mr Burns :wink: ) and those who certain fans deemed useless or not up to the job were not subjected to dimwits slagging them off on the internet or at games (El-Abd was slated by some fans but Poyet (rightly) showed they were talking out their arse when it comes to evaluating players and their contributions) and they surprised the doubters.

How do you think this will help us pick up 3 points in each future match? or do people like you expect us to beat everyone we play, and if we fail to win every game then the players arn't good enough - if so, come back down to reality, we are not going to run away with the league, and we are in a very competitive league where everyone could beat everyone but there are some very strong teams here with experienced players who have played at a higher level.

Or do you do this sort of thing because you think its like a computer game, where we can chop and change players just like that and have unlimited resources to spend to buy the best players around, even if there are bigger and better placed clubs around to get them or they would be on too high a wage for us to afford?

:clap::clap::clap: Well said.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
According to Ashley Barnes Bio, Stats, News - Football / Soccer - - ESPN Soccernet

Glenn Murray (this year)
Shots 21
on goal 9
Goals 3

Glenn Murray (last year)
Shots 82
on goal 27
goals 22

"Chances to goals" is harder to determine because what you may think is a chance sat in the stands, or watching on TV, may not be as great an opportunity as someone else does, or what is a chance for a player on the pitch in the heat of the moment.

Not really fair to judge stas on Muzza against last year IMHO.

Last year he led the line, and was firing shots at keepers of one League lower. Now he's really acting as a decoy to Zaha and others up front at Palace, no surprise then that'he's not getting in the penalty-box as much as he did last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports