Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Players for whom THE goal defined their Albion careers

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Glad someone mentioned Ulloa....

but I was about 11 or 12 and I can't remember who we were playing but I was in the South Stand when the Tank hit an absolute piledriver. I still remember how the net almost burst as it hit the back of the net.

Anyone remember the game.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
O/T - That Southampton game is actually up there in my top 5 Albion away games. It was our first game after promotion to Div 2 (old money). It was a lovely sunny day, the away end was packed, and we were playing 'big club' Southampton, who always dominated football coverage on BBC South and Southern (the old ITV franchise). Justifiably their fans would say as growing up they always seemed to be in the 1st division, and they'd won the FA Cup a year or two previously.

We were wondering how we'd cope in such exalted company, we went a goal down and feared the worst. Then the 'New Pele' came on and - BANG! That 1-1 draw gave us so much confidence, in fact I don't think we actually lost a game in that first month.

Happy days!

I too remember the day well. In the morning it was actually pouring with rain. I went to the game with a mate by motor bike. After the game got back to Brighton had Fish & Chips on the beach, then we had some fun with a couple of Scandi girls. Definately happy days.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I too remember the day well. In the morning it was actually pouring with rain. I went to the game with a mate by motor bike. After the game got back to Brighton had Fish & Chips on the beach, then we had some fun with a couple of Scandi girls. Definately happy days.

Great stuff!

Now completely O/T - I was intrigued about Ruggerio's 2nd (and final) goal for us so I looked it up in Carder and Harris. It was actually only a few weeks later on Sept 3rd away at Mansfield. I was at that game as well (used to go to every game in those days) but don't remember his goal at all unlike his one at Southampton. Then he must have fallen away rapidly after that for some reason.

Another couple of minor fun facts; Fun fact 1 - I knew we'd started well, but we didn't actually lose a league game until October 4th when we lost 4-3 away at Charlton - although we did get knocked out of the League Cup by Oldham on Sept 20th.

Fun fact 2 - Talking of the League Cup in those days the first round was two legs, home and away, and after that they were single games - but there was no extra time on the first game, it went straight to a replay. (Like the FA Cup). And although there was extra time in the replay there were no penalties - it went to another replay!

That season we played Cambridge in Round 1. Both legs finished 0-0 so there was a replay which we won 3-1. Then we drew 0-0 with Oldham in Round 2. It went to a replay which finished 2-2 after extra time. So it went to a second replay which they won 2-1. So that season we played SIX League Cup games - and still got knocked out in the Second round!

(I don't remember those LC games at all unlike the previous season. I'd managed to blank all that from my memory).

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
I went to that Charlton game, thought we'd lost at least one league game before then.

Went to the Oldham LC game played at the Goldstone. Think Oldham may have been at the top of the table.
Remember the replay game think it was played at Filbert street.
Remember Tony Greig on radio Sussex querying why it would be played at a stadium inconvenient to both sets of supportors, thus losing gate revenue.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Colin Hawkins, home to Hartlepools in the cup. Bullet header (1min 19sec on video).

[YT]dYm2vtJDDpY[/YT]

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here