Player Ratings:

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wasn't there today unfortunately so no ratings from me.

But interested to read polarisation on Kuipers though.

According to Harty, they had 9 shots on goal (assuming on target) in the 2nd half and 'twas Kuipers who kept us in the game.

Are those giving a low Kuipers rating today doing so on the strength of blaming him for the goal ?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Kuipers - 4 - cost us a goal, fumbled a couple, made a good save though
Whing - 7 - steady, solid, reliable
Butters - 7 - strong at the back
Elphick - 7 - looked comfortable under a lot of pressure
Mayo - 6 - some 'Mayo moments', some good tackles/passes.
Thomson - 6 - unlucky not to score, put himself around a lot. not sure about MoM
Racon - 8 - lively, committed - a class performance
Cox - 6 - scored one, set up one...did precisely bugger all for the rest of the game, but i suppose you can't argue with that.
Westlake - 6 - isn't the fastest, but showed promise on the ball. Would be a great signing
Murray - 7 - great header, great assist - some good passing and link up with the midfield
Dixon - 6 - didn't look like scoring, but showed some nice touches.

herman gelmet

Not the tosser
Jan 20, 2008
worthing
Couldn't make it today due to work so had to listen to scr.(who incidently had kuipers as m.o.m) so I guess I should do what some posters do in their ratings.
Players I like 8
Players I think are ok 6
Players I have an irrational & personal dislike of 2

:jester:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Wasn't there today unfortunately so no ratings from me.

But interested to read polarisation on Kuipers though.

According to Harty, they had 9 shots on goal (assuming on target) in the 2nd half and 'twas Kuipers who kept us in the game.

Are those giving a low Kuipers rating today doing so on the strength of blaming him for the goal ?

I really felt he should have held onto the shot. I can only think of one other moment that he had to make a save and that was hit straight at him. His kicking was quite poor. Five being the average for my scale, so I think the four is fair.

Henderson used to have a multiple threads lambasting him for goals conceded like that.

Whlist I think Kuipers has been dependable this season, we can't afford to give away goals like that. A keeper should be holding onto those sorts of shots.

Having said that... There was no defensive cover to mop up. We were too slow at the back with Mayo, Butters and Elphick.

butters14

Mar 22, 2008
I'm not sure if we were all at the same match

from where I was in the South stand:-

Kuipers - a couple of good saves but generally poor, at fault for the goal and looked shaky - 5
whing - is looking more and more like a clogger from the early 60s, but didn't give much away defensively - 6
elphick - not at his best - 6
butters - solid - 7
mayo - unfairly criticised by some people. he wasn't beaten much today. yes, some of his attacking passes go astray, but unlike some, he does try to move it along - 7
cox - off-key, but still set one up and scored another - 6
racon - good first half, appalling 2nd - 5
thomson - his best game, attacking and defending. goal line clearance, disallowed goal and great cross - 8
westlake - quiet - 6
dixon - did ok and involved in move for 1st goal - 6
murray - not offside so much today, and class in the air for both goals - 7

robinson - came on and gave the ball away to start the move for hartlepool's goal, then nothing else - 5
lynch - couldn't see the point in bringing him on but didn't get injured which was a plus for him - 6
gatting - no time to do much -6

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
Kuipers - 6 A Few Good Saves And A Few Blunders. The Stuff Of Legends.
Whing - 7 Did Okay. Looked Solid.
Elphick 6.5 A Lovely Weighted Backpass Header The Highlight
Butters - 5 Looking Slow And Clumsy. Very Solid In The Air Though
Mayo - 6 Same As Whing Just That His Distribution Was Poor
Cox 7 - Got Better As The Game Progressed.
Racon - 8. Oozes Class And The Best Tackler I've Seen This Year
Thomson - 7 A Captain's Performance.
Westlake 6 Really Only Started Getting Going Just Before Getting Subbed
Dixon -4 Was He Playing?
Murray - 7 Ran His Legs Off Today. Defended Well And Going Forward Was Always A Threat.
Robinson - 6 Lifted The Albion Performance And His Piece Off Skill Set Up The Cox Goal (Butters14 Take Note. You Are Talking Crap When You Say He Did Nothing)
Lynch And Gatting - Not Enough Of The Game Played To Give A Fair Rating.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Kuipers - 6 - Made some good claims and a few good saves as well. Was at fault for their goal I suppose.

Mayo - 5 - I thought he played OK today, maybe struggled a bit in the first half.
Butters - 7 - Brilliant all afternoon. He stood up tall and won every header.
Elphick - 6 - Solid as usual
Whing - 6 - Consistant as you like, nice little interchange with Thomson for our winning goal.

Westlake - 6 - A few flashes of skill and pace, including a nice run down the left flank in the second half.
Thomson - 8 - His goal should have counted, and his cross for the winner was inch perfect. Good stuff!
Racon - 7 - Stormed the first half and looked out of this world. Then he seemed to fade in the second half.
Cox - 8 - Another assist, and the winning goal. Great stuff, I don't know what more people can ask for?

Murray - 6 - Held the ball up pretty well at times and got himself on the scoresheet again.
Dixon - 5 - Didn't look involved in the game for long spells.

I'm a fan of FDM, but today he seemed to think it was someone's job to make sure he wasn't tested.
Yep, should have held that shot.

Generally he was quite reliable, but I get the feeling he's expecting a lot of others while not quite enough from himself.

We were very lucky that he was in the right place in the first half - a point-blank shot straight at him he knew nothing about until afterwards! :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I really felt he should have held onto the shot. I can only think of one other moment that he had to make a save and that was hit straight at him. His kicking was quite poor. Five being the average for my scale, so I think the four is fair.

Henderson used to have a multiple threads lambasting him for goals conceded like that.

Whlist I think Kuipers has been dependable this season, we can't afford to give away goals like that. A keeper should be holding onto those sorts of shots.

Having said that... There was no defensive cover to mop up. We were too slow at the back with Mayo, Butters and Elphick.

Kuipers kicking is probably his biggest weakness to be fair. Though personally I would prefer us to build from the back anyway with more roll outs or release it wide early with throw outs.

Defensive mop ups have been a bit shocking at times this season :ohmy:

For me, Kuipers has been pretty solid in what I've seen this season and particularly good over last few months. I can even forgive him his little moment of madness against Luton last week right in front of our end.

Was you at Bournemouth away last season when Henderson was slaughtered for his slip in injury time that cost us the game ? Didn't Henderson cite fans' criticism as a factor in him leaving ?

Seems keepers more than any other position seem to attract extreme opinions one way or the other. ( Not saying ratings of 4 are extreme btw)

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Think Dixon is getting a pretty rough deal, granted wasn't the greatest game, but played a major part in the first goal and had some very nice touches. Give him a pre-season of fitness work and think he may do all right

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
Did Anyone Else Get That Horrible Feeling Of Deja Vu Right At The Beginning Of The Game?

We Were Scrappy, We Couldn't Get The Ball Out Of Our Half And When We Did It Was Hit And Hope. I Honestly Thought We'd Go 1-0 Down Within 10 Minutes.

And When The Monkey Hangers Equalised It Was Sooooo Inevitable. We Just Went To Sleep.

We Seem To Have Too Many Of Those Moments This Season.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Kuipers kicking is probably his biggest weakness to be fair. Though personally I would prefer us to build from the back anyway with more roll outs or release it wide early with throw outs.

Defensive mop ups have been a bit shocking at times this season :ohmy:

For me, Kuipers has been pretty solid in what I've seen this season and particularly good over last few months. I can even forgive him his little moment of madness against Luton last week right in front of our end.

Was you at Bournemouth away last season when Henderson was slaughtered for his slip in injury time that cost us the game ? Didn't Henderson cite fans' criticism as a factor in him leaving ?

Seems keepers more than any other position seem to attract extreme opinions one way or the other. ( Not saying ratings of 4 are extreme btw)

You weren't there, please choose another thread.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Kuipers--7
Butters--7
Whing---6
Elphick---8
Mayo-----6

Thomson-6
Racon-----5
Cox--------7
Westlake-6

Dixon------5
Murray-----7

Ref-5

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Dixon looked off the pace but looked willing,but not yet ready for the first team,Racon had an absolute nightmare & should of been taken off, , continually lost the ball, held on to the ball when he shouldve released it , released the ball when he should hold it & often seems to have trouble staying upright. I dont see the fascination with him & will be relieved when El-Abd is back.

Henderson was weak in his (lack of) communication with his backs, and at B'mouth his slip did cost us the game but was probably more excusable than an earlier moment when el-Abd got in a mix-up with him, purely because he gave no indication of his own whereabouts - or even a call for the ball. He visibly and verbally blamed AeA (I heard him from the stands) - so can anyone say he should've been beyond reproach himself?

For his slip, I felt sorry for him - and us. For his other mishaps and bad lack of command of his area, I was happy to see him go :bigwave:

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Did Anyone Else Get That Horrible Feeling Of Deja Vu Right At The Beginning Of The Game?

We Were Scrappy, We Couldn't Get The Ball Out Of Our Half And When We Did It Was Hit And Hope. I Honestly Thought We'd Go 1-0 Down Within 10 Minutes.

And When The Monkey Hangers Equalised It Was Sooooo Inevitable. We Just Went To Sleep.

We Seem To Have Too Many Of Those Moments This Season.

Why do we always seem to start every home game so slowly?!

Today,Port Vale,Swindon,Donny etc all games we were poor to start with.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Kuipers didn't have a great game, made a couple of good saves and (one which got a huge cheer) was simply hit straight at him and hit his thigh by the look of it :lolol:

Dixon really doesn't look good enough .. yet.

Liked Thompson in the captains role. All that bollocks on here about him not looking or sounding like a captain, he looked very much like one from where I was sitting.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You weren't there, please choose another thread.

Fair enough. Bad fan. Head duely hung in shame. :cry:

Note I DIDN'T give any ratings today though. :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports