Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player Ratings - Wolves (H)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ryan 7 - Kept us in the game. Potter's system would fall at the first without him
Alzate 6 - Good but looked like a winger at right back at times
Webster 6 - Not one of his better games. Fimly established as the new scapegoat
Dunk 7 - Great on the ball and a real leader
Burn 6 - Starting to look more and more like a CB at LB and really struggled to deal with Traore
Stephens 8.5 - Superb. Will be a big miss against Palace
Propper 6 - 7 for the goal, 5 for the suicidal ball for their 2nd - Otherwise, always tries to progress with the ball
Mooy - 8 - Very composed and great on the ball. Feel he got the MoM for the Arsenal match, rather than this one
Trossard 6 - Great start, anonymous after the break
Gross 6 - Tidy but most of what he tried didn't come off
Maupay 8.5 MoM - Ran his legs off, led the line well, corking finish for the goal. Really lie his attitude and application.

Overall, happy with a point against a very good Wolves side. On to Palace!

Very true re Ryan. The players seem to totally trust his ball skills, some of the passes are hit at him pretty hard and a lesser keeper would find the ball in the back of the net on occasion whilst struggling to get the ball under control, or losing it to an onrushing forward. He also comes almost to the half way line on occasion as well as calculated rushes off his line for long balls played over our defenders heads. We are lucky to have the midget.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Propper is getting a lot of stick generally for giving the ball away for the 2nd goal but no criticism of St Dale for the dreadful ball he gave away that led to the penalty VAR check? That could easily have led to a goal too. Same as in the Arsenal game when he dallied and gave the ball away in our area but no mention of it because it didn’t lead to a goal.

Propper seems to regularly get unfairly vilified for one mistake whereas Stephens can do no wrong.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Propper is getting a lot of stick generally for giving the ball away for the 2nd goal but no criticism of St Dale for the dreadful ball he gave away that led to the penalty VAR check? That could easily have led to a goal too. Same as in the Arsenal game when he dallied and gave the ball away in our area but no mention of it because it didn’t lead to a goal.

Propper seems to regularly get unfairly vilified for one mistake whereas Stephens can do no wrong.

Stephens won three tackles (one goal saving), got a ridiculous assist, had an 89% pass completion from 87 passes. He just performed better than Propper, plain and simple

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018

This.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
You must be new here

Not really, I remember defending Dean Wilkins when I used to think he got unfair stick for being a more creative type player shall we say.

I just think there’s a tendancy on here to overrate Stephens and look past any mistake he makes whereas it’s open house on Propper whenever he does anything wrong.

Propper and Webster are getting far too much stick at the moment because they’re ball playing defenders and midfielders rather than in your face, cloggers. It’s an English football problem, always has been, we don’t trust them.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Not really, I remember defending Dean Wilkins when I used to think he got unfair stick for being a more creative type player shall we say.

I just there’s a tendancy on here to overrate Stephens and look past any mistake he makes whereas it’s open house on Propper whenever he does anything wrong.

Propper and Webster are getting far too much stick at the moment because they’re ball playing defenders and midfielders rather than in your face, cloggers. It’s an English football problem, always has been, we don’t trust them.

Gwylan was alluding to the fact that Stephens has had more than his fair share of criticism over the years. Most of the critics have seen the light now though.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I thought that Murray could (should?) have come on earlier than he did. Not only would he have done something with some of the six yard box passes but his very presence near the goal seems to pull in defenders, leaving clear spaces for others. Given that, not surprising that you only score him with a 6. Dan Burn seemed to me to be completely outclassed - probably not worth a 5

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Up to Post 48

1 -- Maupay --- 8.33
2 -- Mooy ------ 7.93
3 -- Ryan ------ 7.50
4 -- Dunk ------ 7.26
5 -- Stephens - 7.17
6 -- Alzate ----- 6.69
7 -- Burn ------- 6.43
8 -- Trossard -- 6.24
9 -- Propper --- 6.00
10 - Webster -- 5.40
11 -- Gross ---- 5.07

Subs:

Murray --- 5.47
Al J -------- 5.23

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ryan - 7: A really good save at the feet of a Wolf in the 1st half.
Alzate - 6: Thought he did fine, I prefer Montoya as I think he is better positionally and defensively.
Burn - 6: Looked vulnerable against NSC’s collective ‘cream churner show pony’ Traore. Luckily for Burn, the regular Wolves sub has no end product.
Dunk - 6: Turned way way too easily for the 1st Wolves goal. Other than that, quality but did he cost us 2 points?
Webster - 6: Average.
Stephens - 8: Great all round performance. Needs a goal and can start scoring 9s & 10s. How much will he be missed at Palace?
Pröpper - 7: Gave a goal to each team but quite decent other than that awful ‘pass’.
Mooy - 8.5: MOM. I think he is our best all round midfield. Class by the bucketload be that attacking or defending. I’m going to be very nervous until we get him on a permanent.
Gross - 6: Dull, slow and average but not bad.
Trossard - 7: Nice little assist but he plays better as a sub for some reason at the moment. Bench him at Palace in case we need him.
Maupay - 8: Great pace and movement, took his goal very well. He is doing very well for us.

Ali J - 6: Some good bits and some bad bits. He’ll be looking for Groß’ place in the team come next Monday and who wouldn’t wish him well in his quest to get a staring berth?

Murray - 5: Looked a bit better than previous outings from the bench but he just can’t move around the pitch with the pace and stamina we need.

Potter - 6: Two badly conceded goals and nothing in the 2nd half to suggest we were at ‘win or die’.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
6 = average

Ryan - 7 back to his pre-Asian cup form.
Alzate - 6.5 He is no better than Montoya AT RIGHT BACK.
Webster - 6 Shaky game but only his 10th in the top flight.
Dunk 7.5 - We would have lost without him but that is his job!
Burn 6.5 - Traore is a freak, he’s built like a rugby league player, I thought Burn did well defensively, in their half he was very ineffective though. If we continue with a back 4 then I want to see Bernardo back.

Stephens 6 - Marked up 1 for the ball to Maupay, which made up for his otherwise sloppy play with the ball. At his negative worst at times, constantly facing his own goal, needs to watch some videos of Mooy.
Propper 6 - Again marked up 1 for the goal, otherwise so sloppy and at times wasteful in possession, as for that pass....
Mooy 8 - Best midfielder on the park for either team. We need to get this signing done quickly in Jan or risk another club coming in for him IMO.

Gross 4 - Anonymous. VERY lucky to be starting at the moment. He would be the one who makes way once Connolly is back.
Trossard 6 - A 7 in the first half then faded, still question marks over his fitness. He is so bright though.
Maupay 8.5 MOTM - Getting better and better. Great goal, works his socks off and picked up from the Arsenal performance.

Ali J 6 - Did ‘OK’ nothing more or less really. £17m though? FML :(
Murray 5 - Gone, sadly. Vital we strengthen the striker options in January.

Potter 6 - Left a sub unused. Should have taken Gross off sooner IMO. His options were a little limited though. We missed Connolly’s energy and pace big time IMO.

Spot on that's how I saw it. Your comments on Stephens and Propper could be written every week. Both have been sloppy this season and are an accident waiting to happen. Stephens has been the better of the two but is always likely to give a free kick away outside our box. He lost the player for the 1st goal and Propper gave them the ball for the second although after seeing it on tv he was sold down the river by Webster who gave him the ball and pointed out wide so Propper played the ball blind. THe area we can improve on is pace in midfield. Gross Propper and Stephens must be the slowest midfield in the premiership.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I just think there’s a tendancy on here to overrate Stephens and look past any mistake he makes whereas it’s open house on Propper whenever he does anything wrong.

I rate Stephens highly, but totally agree with you about Webster and Propper. When my wife rather childishly bought me the BHAFC Annual last Christmas, I put Davy in as my favourite player!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Funnily enough, I see the exact opposite.

A handful of us spent the last 2.5 years defending Stephens, when on NSC he faced a barrage of criticism from a lynch mob. Every mistake magnified, any incomplete pass his fault entirely, it couldn’t possibly be that his team mates didn’t find space, a loser because as a DM sitter he didn’t fire in goals, Championship quality at best. A poll on NSC in about May gave a majority who didn’t want at the club this season.

Whereas Propper is loved as a mercurial Dutch genius. If anyone criticised a DP performance, they were rounded on as a football Philistine.

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
1 -- Maupay --- 8
2 -- Mooy ------ 8
3 -- Ryan ------ 8
4 -- Dunk ------ 7.5
5 -- Stephens - 7
6 -- Alzate ----- 6.5
7 -- Burn ------- 6.5
8 -- Trossard -- 6
9 -- Propper --- 6
11 -- Gross ---- 6
10 - Webster -- 5

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Funnily enough, I see the exact opposite.

A handful of us spent the last 2.5 years defending Stephens, when on NSC he faced a barrage of criticism from a lynch mob. Every mistake magnified, any incomplete pass his fault entirely, it couldn’t possibly be that his team mates didn’t find space, a loser because as a DM sitter he didn’t fire in goals, Championship quality at best. A poll on NSC in about May gave a majority who didn’t want at the club this season.

Whereas Propper is loved as a mercurial Dutch genius. If anyone criticised a DP performance, they were rounded on as a football Philistine.

I know you do, I always enjoy your contributions Weststander and we usually seem to agree on most things but we are always on opposite sides of the Propper/Stephens debate [emoji846]

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
6 - average

Ryan - 8
Alzate - 6.5
Webster - 5.5
Dunk - 7.5
Burn - 6
Mooy - 8
Stephens - 8.5 MOTM
Propper - 6.5
Gross - 5
Trossard - 6
Maupay - 8

AJ - 4
Murray - 6

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I know you do, I always enjoy your contributions Weststander and we usually seem to agree on most things but we are always on opposite sides of the Propper/Stephens debate [emoji846]

Ditto, I always like your views on every subject! I’m not against Propper, I’m pleased we have him, and my adverse comments about his play (in some matches only) don’t fall into the NSC trap of making it personal. I’ve always rated Stephens, who quietly goes about his CM business, plus every good team always needs a couple of ‘hard’ players so the team doesn’t get bullied.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Can't understand the Traore love in, the guy is an abysmal player that had a very rare good game on Sunday which had more to do with Dan Burn than Traore himself.

I've enjoyed watching Burn this season but his performances have definitely began to tail off. He was a bit of an unknown which maybe caught teams by surprise at first but has been worked out now. Bernado needs to replace him on Monday. Also, for someone who's 6' 7", he's dreadful in the air.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here