Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings - Watford (H)

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Did someone call March languid? From where I was in the east he really put in a shift.

March -8. Constant threat. Should trust his right foot a little more though

Thought it was March's worst game he has played all season. He had one piece of brilliance in the first half, and one in the second, but apart from that he was very poor going forward, despite being given the ball in good situations with lots of space - slow to react to situations, poor deliveries, losing the ball, not winning challenges, lack of awareness, not playing the ball quick enough, etc. I was very surprised he lasted most of the game as frankly, he looked out of his depth. However, I know he is better than that and he is still young, so he will have a very good career with us or another Premier League team - but today he was really bad. He's not in good form at the moment.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Pleased with most players performances.

I thought March and AK, especially March, were poor today. March worked hard, but seems out of his depth at the moment. Perhaps if we sign quality forwards, that will free up space for March to progress?

Totally agree about March. Very poor today but we know he is capable of much better.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
From what I've seen of the marking on this thread
1/ there are not many school teachers(thank god, nutters the lot of 'em)
2/ people have their favourites as well as there scapegoats
maybe that will change when, after the transfer window, they realise a proven goal scorer like Aguero is not going to sign for us

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Much better performance today. We looked very comfortable against an established Premier League team and should have won by more than one goal. Our problem is still up front where we need a player or two to convert opportunities into goals.

Ryan 6. Looked comfortable without having much to do, but then spilled the ball in the last minute which could have easily resulted in an equaliser. Good goalie, but maybe not what we need long term if we stay up?
Bruno 7. Good performance.
Goldson 8. So good to see him back. Superb performance for his first Premier League appearance and after so long without first team action. Looked like he'd never been away. Only one wayward pass that I noticed.
Dunk 8. Excellent as always.
Suttner 8. Great, just great. We're fortunate to have two talented left backs ... in what was a problem position.
Stephens 7. Played well, but still the odd time when he played the ball sideways or back, when forward opportunities were there.
Propper 7. Good solid performance.
Knockaert 5. The weak link today. Just so inconsistent. Frequently making wrong decisions and losing the ball. Needs a rest.
March 6. Frustrating. Could have done so much better with some of the situations he was in.
Gross 7. Nicely taken goal which the goalie should probably have saved, but good to see him taking a shot ... that's the way to score goals and is a lesson for some of his team-mates.
Hemed 7. Held the ball up very well, but missed a couple of golden chances.

Subs:
Kayal 6. Did OK.
Murray not on long enough.
Izquierdo ditto

Just reminded of Propper's atrocious attempt at goal in the first half. Probably should lose a point for that.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ryan - 7
Bruno - 7
Goldson - 9 MOTM
Dunk - 8
Suttner - 8.5
Knockaert - 7.5
Propper - 8
Stephens - 7
March - 7
Gross - 8.5
Hemed - 7.5

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ryan 7
Bruno 8
Dunk 8
Goldson 8
Suttner 9 - man of the match
Knockeart 8
Srephens 6
Propper 6
March 7
Gross 8
Hemed 7

Last edited:

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
From the BBC website:

And i would have to agree with them, he played well and was a big threat to them.

I don't get why some are so blinkered and so down on some of our players all of the time (seems to always be that someone has to come under criticism when their performance was always the opposite of how these critics viewed it)

Players thrive on confidence, teams thrive on confidence and so why, when our players put in a good performance, is there is singling out of a player (who actually played very well in this game) and describing their performance as poor, i just don't get that mentality

We are in a thread about the performance of players, so if we cannot discuss there performance here, where else can we do it? It's not singling out, we are rating and talking about all the players. You may think I am blinkered if I think March was poor, but at the same time I struggle to understand how you think he played well. But I respect your opinion, of course. March received a lot of the ball on the left, that was obvious, but he made very poor use with the ball when he had it and often gifted it back to Watford. He had one good piece of skill and a good ball in the first half, and another in the second. Didn't offer much else going forward.

On the other hand, Goldson was absolutely amazing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry, can't fault his effort but there wasn't a second when Tomer was a threat today
I could understand that opinion if over the last few games we'd watched some great attacking football with goal threats aplenty.
But we haven't so shirley we have to accept the squads limitations and be grateful for the crumbs we're given.

Most telling of all nobody has been Stoopid enough to trot out the usual cliche:-

'Murray would have got a hat trick today'.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Genuine question - what are people marking Hemed 7 and above for? Someone has given him a 9, which is mental considering he's actually still on the pitch now, with Suttner whipping in golden crosses (Bong's watching jealously from a lounge) and he's trying to get on the end of them. Unfortunately, he's yet to connect with any of them because they're not right on his head at the natural angle for the ball to go in. Keep going though, Tomer, eventually there will be a chance so perfectly created for him that he can put it away.

Murray would have got a hat trick today.

We need more quality than that at this level. If we'd not won again today it would have been because he's not good enough. Luckily, Pascal stepped up (Again) and we got away with it. We're so very close to being a quality Premier League team, but we're badly lacking in the final third. Our defence is fantastic, even when Bong plays, but we need to improve going forward and we all know it.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I'm absolutely FLABBERGASTED by the amount of people marking Knocky higher than Solly?

Both made some poor decisions but the vast majority of our attacks came down the left with Solly heavily involved, he's a far more intelligent footballer than Knockaert and shows good composure on the ball for his age. Knocky by contrast (this season) keeps predictably cutting inside on to his left foot, head down and often slows the game down.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Genuine question - what are people marking Hemed 7 and above for? Someone has given him a 9, which is mental considering he's actually still on the pitch now, with Suttner whipping in golden crosses (Bong's watching jealously from a lounge) and he's trying to get on the end of them. Unfortunately, he's yet to connect with any of them because they're not right on his head at the natural angle for the ball to go in. Keep going though, Tomer, eventually there will be a chance so perfectly created for him that he can put it away.

Murray would have got a hat trick today.

We need more quality than that at this level. If we'd not won again today it would have been because he's not good enough. Luckily, Pascal stepped up (Again) and we got away with it. We're so very close to being a quality Premier League team, but we're badly lacking in the final third. Our defence is fantastic, even when Bong plays, but we need to improve going forward and we all know it.

:lol:

I wonder how many of these chances were created by Tomer, in the first place.
Tomer can't be in front of the play if he's the one setting it all up.
Bemoaning a player missing chances after watching x amount of games where no chances are created is very bizarre.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
:lol:

I wonder how many of these chances were created by Tomer, in the first place.
Tomer can't be in front of the play if he's the one setting it all up.
Bemoaning a player missing chances after watching x amount of games where no chances are created is very bizarre.

Edited just for you. :thumbsup:

Frankly, I really don't care. Tomer does nothing from open play that any other striker wouldn't do. He's perfectly average outside the box, and below average inside it. He's just not Premier League quality but there aren't many who are. He's just no up to it because he's not good enough, it's not his fault but he's holding us back.

Suttner was whipping in the crosses in that first 15 minutes, Murray would at worst have been on the end of them and got headers in on goal, Hemed got nowhere near anything. He was poor inside the box, perfectly fine outside of it. He's why we won 1-0 rather 3 or 4-0.

Fatboy Quim

Jan 27, 2005
The problem with Solly is that for all the skill he is a complete coward. Terrified of being kicked, bottles the 50/50s and sometimes reluctant to take the responsibility on the ball.

I really like the lad, he is an absolute assett to us but he really, really needs to toughen up

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Like against Liverpool when he missed a hatrick of chances?

Totally different, Murray in the air and Murray on the ground are very different beats. It feels to me like Suttner and Hemed start together, our best header of the ball should always be in the team when Suttner is because he loves to cross the ball which is a significant source of goals for Murray. Look at his header against Southampton, he made that goal happen rather than converting a golden cross. He'd have been sat on the bench swearing heartily in frustration that when he plays, he gets sod all quality deliveries into the box. Hemed had all of the glorious crosses and none of the instinct to put them away.

The problem with Solly is that for all the skill he is a complete coward. Terrified of being kicked, bottles the 50/50s and sometimes reluctant to take the responsibility on the ball.

I really like the lad, he is an absolute assett to us but he really, really needs to toughen up

He won a block tackle in the centre circle at one point, that was incredible and massively out of character. He's got plenty of technical ability to make up for it though, he's a quality and uncomplicated player but he seems to me to lack general football intelligence, but that's just based on watching him. I don't know the man.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Thought it was March's worst game he has played all season. He had one piece of brilliance in the first half, and one in the second, but apart from that he was very poor going forward, despite being given the ball in good situations with lots of space - slow to react to situations, poor deliveries, losing the ball, not winning challenges, lack of awareness, not playing the ball quick enough, etc. I was very surprised he lasted most of the game as frankly, he looked out of his depth. However, I know he is better than that and he is still young, so he will have a very good career with us or another Premier League team - but today he was really bad. He's not in good form at the moment.

I agree. Couldn't fathom how he lasted so much of the match.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Ryan 7
Bruno 7
Suttner 7
Dunk 8
Goldson 8
Stephens 7
Propper 8
March 5
Knockhaert 7
Gross 7
Hemed 7

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Ryan 7
Bruno 7
Suttner 7
Goldson 8* MOTM
Dunk 7
Knockaert 6
Stephens 7
Propper 7
March 5
Gross 8
Hemed 7

Kayal 6
Murray n/a
Izquierdo n/a

Never seen March as bad as he was today, really disappointed me. But a great win none the less & so desperately needed.

Last edited:

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Ryan 7
Bruno 7
Goldson 9 MOTM Superb. Composed, Strong, distribution fantastic.
Dunk 8
Suttner 7
Knockaert 7
Stephens 7.5
Propper 7
March 7
Gross 8.5
Hemed 7

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here