Vicente - 6
LuaLua - 9
Barnes - 6
Ulloa - 7

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Are some people having a laugh, Vicente definitely wasn't at his best yesterday but he outperformed Crofts, Painter etc.

Crofts was aggressive in the tackle and provided the assist for both goals.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Kuszcz - 6
Lopez - 6
Painter - 6
Upson - 7
Greer - 6
Crofts - 7
Bridcutt - 7
Vicente - 6
KLL - 8
Barnes - 6
Ulloa - 7

thought the performance was pretty average apart from two flashes of brilliance.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Kuszczak 7.5 - great save in the first half, mostly routine for the rest of the game, perhaps lucky with the header that bounced over
Lopez 7 - Good defensive performance. He seems more defensive as a right back than Bruno or Calderon is, i.e. doesn't venture forward as much (until he defence was shuffled after the subs)
Greer 7.5 - commanding
Upson 7.5 - strong
Painter 7.5 - comfortable, gone the whole season without conceding while he is on the pitch.
Bridcutt 8 - strong performance, pressured wolves leading to loose ball for the first
Crofts 8 - Assisted both goals, aggressive closing down and tackling.
Vicente 7 - Quite quiet until late in the first half, then we seemed to let wolves control a lot of the second half so he didn't have a huge impact
Lualua 8.5 - two goals, constant threat. It's games like this that make his poor performances more frustrating
Barnes 7.5
Ulloa 7.5 - good long ball from the right back position that crofts headed on for the second goal

El Abd 7.5
Hammond - good in the last few minutes
Barker - seemed comfortable, some good work helping set up the cross for barnes' late chance.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Crofts was really impressive 1st half. Clearly out to impress and try to force his way into Gus' plans. Drifted off a bit 2nd half but he deserves a 7.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Kuszcz - 6
Lopez - 6
Painter - 6
Upson - 7
Greer - 6
Crofts - 7
Bridcutt - 7
Vicente - 6
KLL - 8
Barnes - 6
Ulloa - 7

thought the performance was pretty average apart from two flashes of brilliance.

Nothing average about it. A good team playing well within themselves on coaches orders whilst resting players. Efficient, ruthless and impressive.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
GK Kusczak - 7
RB Lopez - 5
LB Painter - 7
CB Upson - 8
CB Greer - 7
CM Bridcutt - 7
CM Crofts -7
CM Vicente - 5
LM Lua Lua - 9
RM Barnes - 7
Str Ulloa - 7

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think you could really call either of the passes to LuaLua an 'assist'

There are many touches that it is generous to call an assist. But those both put Lualua in possession of the ball in space, in good positions to head for, giving him the opportunity to score. Without those touches Lualua would not have the ball (first would have fallen to a keeper, second would have pushed him down into the corner if he even got to it) and so would no have scored. His touches may not have been flash, or cosmetically substantial, but they were important.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
There are many touches that it is generous to call an assist. But those both put Lualua in possession of the ball in space, in good positions to head for, giving him the opportunity to score. Without those touches Lualua would not have the ball (first would have fallen to a keeper, second would have pushed him down into the corner if he even got to it) and so would no have scored. His touches may not have been flash, or cosmetically substantial, but they were important.

You could argue that, if you were being pedantic, but neither of the passes from Crofts gave LuaLua much space, he had to pass at least 1 defender for both goals. I certainly wouldn't mark him higher for completing two simple passes, that's for sure.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You could argue that, if you were being pedantic, but neither of the passes from Crofts gave LuaLua much space, he had to pass at least 1 defender for both goals. I certainly wouldn't mark him higher for completing two simple passes, that's for sure.

He had space to think about what he wanted to do with it, whether he wanted to go outside or cut inside, etc.

There are many things that can be described as simple that happen on a football pitch, but in practice aren't that simple, or that may be simple to execute but when executed, contribute more to a game than things that are more complicated to pull off, or that are flashier.

But it's not just about those two passes, it's also about the hunger and aggression he showed, his determination to win the ball off of opponents, closing them down.

He had a good game, and looking at the averages so far, you are in the minority in thinking that Vicente deserves a higher rating than him, bearing in mind there is a general disappointment in Crofts' contribution since he returned and a tendency to rate an average vicente performance higher than most because he's vicente, that says something.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
[MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION]

Will you do a Season average for each player? :thumbsup:

Kuszcz - 7
Lopez - 7.5
Painter - 7.5
Upson - 8
Greer - 7.5
Crofts - 7
Bridcutt - 7.5
Vicente - 7
KLL - 8
Barnes - 7
Ulloa - 7

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
He had space to think about what he wanted to do with it, whether he wanted to go outside or cut inside, etc.

There are many things that can be described as simple that happen on a football pitch, but in practice aren't that simple, or that may be simple to execute but when executed, contribute more to a game than things that are more complicated to pull off, or that are flashier.

But it's not just about those two passes, it's also about the hunger and aggression he showed, his determination to win the ball off of opponents, closing them down.

He had a good game, and looking at the averages so far, you are in the minority in thinking that Vicente deserves a higher rating than him, bearing in mind there is a general disappointment in Crofts' contribution since he returned and a tendency to rate an average vicente performance higher than most because he's vicente, that says something.

I disagree that people tend to rate Vicente higher, in fact the people who I sit around specifically seemed really annoyed on the couple of occasions Vicente lost the ball in comparison to when others did. I think there's a tendency to think unless he's playing at his free flowing, superb best that he's anonymous, added to the fact I still don't think he's 100% fit.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I disagree that people tend to rate Vicente higher, in fact the people who I sit around specifically seemed really annoyed on the couple of occasions Vicente lost the ball in comparison to when others did. I think there's a tendency to think unless he's playing at his free flowing, superb best that he's anonymous, added to the fact I still don't think he's 100% fit.

I don't think he ever will be 100% fit, and he did take a knock early in the game, but you can't rate someone on the performance they would have given if they were fit (otherwise you'd also have to rate crofts higher because he has been in and out of the team due to injuries and hasn't played enough to be fully match fit), you have to rate the performance they gave.

I'm not talking about fans at the ground, I'm talking about people rating him on here, in these ratings threads, and there is a notable tendency to vote his performances higher than identical performances from other players in the team/squad.

He's not alone, Kuszczak (not because he's a world star, but because he is not Ankergren or Brezovan), Bridge, Bruno, Ulloa currently get higher ratings than similar performances from others. Some players are rated lower, such as Barnes, Dicker, Ankergren, Brezovan from similar performances to others. Some are sometimes rated higher, sometimes lower depending on form around that game, or the people voting (CMS used to get rated higher, but if he goes a while without scoring people start to vote him lower than they would an identical performance by someone else, Greer has been a bit up and down like this; lualua splits fans when he has poor performances getting higher markings than others would with the poor performance from some posters, and lower markings than others from other posters)

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Kuszczak 6

Lopez 6
Upson 8
Greer 7
Painter 7

Bridcutt 7
Crofts 6
Vicente 7

Barnes 5
Ulloa 6
Lua Lua 9

Subs:

El-Abd 6
Hammond 6
Barker 6

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Unconventional, as he's not an Albion player, but if I could just be permitted to award Roger Johnson of Wolves a 4 out of ten. What a lazy, disinterested waste of money he was for them. I recall him going for a tackle on an Albion player in the second half, failing to win the ball and then just standing with his hands on his hips before drifting slowly back towards his defensive position while the Albion poured forward. Really poor attitude. No wonder he's been relegated three years in a row. Must drive their fans nuts to see that.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I don't think he ever will be 100% fit, and he did take a knock early in the game, but you can't rate someone on the performance they would have given if they were fit (otherwise you'd also have to rate crofts higher because he has been in and out of the team due to injuries and hasn't played enough to be fully match fit), you have to rate the performance they gave.

I'm not talking about fans at the ground, I'm talking about people rating him on here, in these ratings threads, and there is a notable tendency to vote his performances higher than identical performances from other players in the team/squad.

He's not alone, Kuszczak (not because he's a world star, but because he is not Ankergren or Brezovan), Bridge, Bruno, Ulloa currently get higher ratings than similar performances from others. Some players are rated lower, such as Barnes, Dicker, Ankergren, Brezovan from similar performances to others. Some are sometimes rated higher, sometimes lower depending on form around that game, or the people voting (CMS used to get rated higher, but if he goes a while without scoring people start to vote him lower than they would an identical performance by someone else, Greer has been a bit up and down like this; lualua splits fans when he has poor performances getting higher markings than others would with the poor performance from some posters, and lower markings than others from other posters)

Surely that's a matter of opinion, based on how you think the player performed compared to the ratings on here. That's all it is at the end of the day, opinions, no one is right and no one is wrong. I'm not saying Vicente not being 100% fit is an excuse but at the same time, in my opinion people expect an awful lot from him and get more frustrated when things don't work out- when he is on the pitch he is normally double marked, which creates more space for other players. As for Crofts, we'll see if he starts next Friday but I will not be surprised whatsoever if Hammond is back.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Surely that's a matter of opinion, based on how you think the player performed compared to the ratings on here. That's all it is at the end of the day, opinions, no one is right and no one is wrong. I'm not saying Vicente not being 100% fit is an excuse but at the same time, in my opinion people expect an awful lot from him and get more frustrated when things don't work out- when he is on the pitch he is normally double marked, which creates more space for other players. As for Crofts, we'll see if he starts next Friday but I will not be surprised whatsoever if Hammond is back.

Not really, it's based on how ratings average out, comparing the comments people make with the ratings they give, and comparing everyone's opinion, not just my own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports