Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings vs Palace (h)

SanchoMitoma

Feb 13, 2023
Even your username means that I'll treat your comments about Mitoma with a certain scepticism. March clearly performed better than Mitoma last night, as good as the assist was. This doesn't mean that March is a better player than Mitoma, or is having a better season -- both are candidates for PotS in my view.
I understand the skepticism but I’d give March an extra point for the goal and when he’s better, like say the Palace game away, I have no problem saying it.
That said, I feel like when Mitoma does the quiet things well, like March, it kinda goes unnoticed because there’s expectations he’s gonna do something insane everytime he touches the ball.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Based on 6 as average very surprised at high scores. but confirms many judge performance on result. We played far better against Fulham who of course are a better side. Such an important win but many nerves from players and supporters all the time was 1-0. Apart from Steele will try and forget first 10mins

Steele 8 Some big saves. Must keep his concentration and not get complacent as position becomes his.
Veltman 8 The fact he kept Zaha out of game says it all.
Dunk 7 Defence has to take credit for keeping forwards quite
Colwell 7 As above
Estupian 7 As above Not so good going forward but always with an eye on retaining lead.
Caicedo 7 good game
March 7 Upped 1 because of Very good goal but like all forwards passing not great in and round the box
Mitoma 6 Great run and pass for goal but that was all we saw. Unlike him to take easy option most times.
Gross 6 Fair but no contribution in final third.
Mac 6 Ok in midfield but poor in final third
Welbeck 5 He had enough of ball to do better than he did

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I understand the skepticism but I’d give March an extra point for the goal and when he’s better, like say the Palace game away, I have no problem saying it.
That said, I feel like when Mitoma does the quiet things well, like March, it kinda goes unnoticed because there’s expectations he’s gonna do something insane everytime he touches the ball.
I get where you're coming from, and expectations are so high of Kaoru that there are some on here who think he's the best winger in the world at the moment. I don't. I do think that his adaption to the PL is one of the most impressive this season. We could cite Haaland and Casemiro as other examples, but they started from higher levels, reputations, etc -- but I can't think of too many others that have taken to the PL so well this season.
Against Leeds, Mitoma was exceptional for me, but he didn't do too much in the game -- what he did do was extremely impactful: two assists (well, I'm counting them both as assists), a stunning pass to Mac at the end of the first half which should have been put away. I think you have pointed out that he also played Welbeck in for the shot that just missed too. Beyond that, he didn't have too much of the ball in that game.
Against Palace, I don't remember too much that he did do beyond the assist -- obviously there was lots of tidy play, but think March had more of an impact on the game than him (whereas Mitoma had the greater impact against Leeds).

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Even your username means that I'll treat your comments about Mitoma with a certain scepticism. March clearly performed better than Mitoma last night, as good as the assist was. This doesn't mean that March is a better player than Mitoma, or is having a better season -- both are candidates for PotS in my view.
I think it will be a new experience for all of us to have someone here who comes from another country, hero worships a particular person, gets touchy about the slightest criticism of him and spends inordinate amounts of time explaining why they are right and we are all wrong.

SanchoMitoma

Feb 13, 2023
I think it will be a new experience for all of us to have someone here who comes from another country, hero worships a particular person, gets touchy about the slightest criticism of him and spends inordinate amounts of time explaining why they are right and we are all wrong.
It’s a civil discussion, no need to be dismissive. Not a single word written on this board matters, yet they exist.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Just curious why Steele played in goal last night. Were you completely taking the p*ss and resting players for the Cup game? I think we got off lightly with a 1-0 defeat, especially after we didnt score in the 1st ten minutes, and the ref decided not to send Doucoure off twice. We were a bit better last night but from what I saw, only Wilf and Joe were up for it after the goal went in. Everyone else just let their heads drop. Glad we dont have to play you again this season, but hopefully we can resume hostilities next season.

andys320

Jan 10, 2014
Based on 6 as average very surprised at high scores. but confirms many judge performance on result. We played far better against Fulham who of course are a better side. Such an important win but many nerves from players and supporters all the time was 1-0. Apart from Steele will try and forget first 10mins

Steele 8 Some big saves. Must keep his concentration and not get complacent as position becomes his.
Veltman 8 The fact he kept Zaha out of game says it all.
Dunk 7 Defence has to take credit for keeping forwards quite
Colwell 7 As above
Estupian 7 As above Not so good going forward but always with an eye on retaining lead.
Caicedo 7 good game
March 7 Upped 1 because of Very good goal but like all forwards passing not great in and round the box
Mitoma 6 Great run and pass for goal but that was all we saw. Unlike him to take easy option most times.
Gross 6 Fair but no contribution in final third.
Mac 6 Ok in midfield but poor in final third
Welbeck 5 He had enough of ball to do better than he did
I'd generally agree with this though would have Veltman and Caceido as 9's with Veltman edging it for MOTM.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just curious why Steele played in goal last night. Were you completely taking the p*ss and resting players for the Cup game? I think we got off lightly with a 1-0 defeat, especially after we didnt score in the 1st ten minutes, and the ref decided not to send Doucoure off twice. We were a bit better last night but from what I saw, only Wilf and Joe were up for it after the goal went in. Everyone else just let their heads drop. Glad we dont have to play you again this season, but hopefully we can resume hostilities next season.
Nope. Steele has the shirt for the moment, and has done very well over the last c3 PL games that he's played in and, before that, in his Cup outings. He made a good save in the first 10 minutes and, apart from one poor pass towards the end (which prompted an awful finish by your new lad -- we've been accustomed to those for a long time), did extremely well again. RdZ seems to favour him due to the fact that he takes more risks with his feet (especially passing centrally, rather than out wide), but we'll see how he gets on -- Sanchez remains a top GK, and we've got another one in the pipeline (Rushworth). On which, Whitworth had an extremely assured debut, good with his feet, several impressive saves.
In terms of your summary of the game, broadly that's fair. Doucore warranted 3 cards, but got one. I thought you were a little better than you allow. We really didn't hit the heights that we have done, but deserved to win. Thought we were better at Selhurst, where: VAR ruled out a clear goal; Sanchez dropped his clanger; and, our finishing (especially from Mac) was really poor. I'm not sure whether I want us to resume hostilities next season.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
De Zerbi says Steele is more his kind of keeper - better with his feet maybe. As you know, Sanchez has made some gaffes too.
Touch and go whether you stay up this season. There’s a certain fight in a Palace side that usually leads to a late goal after staunch resistance. Not sure it was there last night after the first ten minutes. You look short on goal scoring quality and defensive resilience. Bad combination. Will there be three worse teams? It could go to the last day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here