Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings vs Palace (h)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Steele 7.5 -- top saves, top camaraderie, top distribution save for one heart-inducing moment at the end, for which he lost half a point
Veltman 8 -- played on the edge, and wisely tamed SEGW
Dunk 7
Colwill 7
Estupinan 7
Caicedo 9.5 MotM -- utterly immense, best player we'll ever see at the club
Gross 7
March 8 -- looking like our PotS at the mo, although it's a close run thing
Mac 7 -- started badly, but grew into the game
Mitoma 7.5 -- nice assist
Welbeck 6 -- excellent pressing, but things didn't quite work out for him

Subs:
Impressed with Enciso's cameo.

Peter Bankes: bottled it twice, apart from that, he was pretty good

Last edited:

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Steele 8 - good early save, out quickly twice. I don't think that was the right pass but if he made it to Moises it would have been fine but it skidded off the surface and our Pascal was to slow to make it! At that point, it felt like the only way Palace would score was that so probably should have gone.
Veltman 8
Dunk 6
Colwill 6
Pervis 8 - feel he is so important to the way we play
Caicedo 8
MacAllister - 6 got better as the game went on. Really think he is more effective as a two with Moises
Gross 6
March 8 - very good first half, didn't see him in the second
Mitoma 7 - made the goal
Welbeck 6 - felt he should have made better run from a couple of crosses in the second half.

Encisco 6
Sarmiento 6
Ferguson 7
Webster na

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Steele 9 - vital sweeper keeper positioning first half, sound on crosses, brilliant distribution.

Veltman 9.5 MOTM - rocky first 10 minutes against the gravity whore, then he went through the gears.
Dunk 7 - dodgy passing first half, dangerous. Improved after the break.
Colwill 8 - outstanding imho. Eats up the ground in covering danger. Streets ahead of Webster.
Estupinan 7.5.

Caicedo 9 - monster.
Mac A 8.
Gross 7.5 - a couple of suicidal passes first half under no pressure. Classy second half.
March 9 - brilliant, deserves England call up.
Mitoma 7 - I felt he didn’t destroy elderly Clyne who was there for the taking. Mitoma and Estupinan seemed to occupy the same space, slowing things down, getting in each others way.

Welbeck 6.5 - worked hard.

Hard for me to judge the subs, but the little n large strike-force of Ferguson and Enciso looked a handful.

Jimmy Grimble

Steele 7.5 -- top saves, top camaraderie, top distribution save for one heart-inducing moment at the end, for which he lost half a point
Veltman 8 -- played on the edge, and wisely tamed SEGW
Dunk 7
Colwill 7
Estupinan 7
Caicedo 9.5 MotM -- utterly immense, best player we'll ever see at the club
Gross 7
March 8 -- looking like our PotS at the mo, although it's a close run thing
Mac 7 -- started badly, but grew into the game
Mitoma 7.5 -- nice assist
Welbeck 6 -- excellent pressing, but things didn't quite work out for him

Subs:
Impressed with Enciso's cameo.

Peter Bankes: bottled it twice, apart from that, he was pretty good
Enciso’s cameo was anything but impressive unfortunately!

SanchoMitoma

Feb 13, 2023
Steele 8
Veltman 8
Dunk 7.5
Colwill 7
Pervis 7
Caicedo 8
MacAllister 7.5
Gross 7
March 8
Mitoma 8
Welbeck 7

I think Pervis is an excellent LB but there really is no chemistry between him and Mitoma (who made the only goal, that makes up for a the fact he didn’t destroy Clyne I think …).

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Steele 8.5 - Genuinely amazed at what a good keeper he is. So calm and most importantly FOCUSSED. Bobby take note.
Veltman 9 - MotM - did such an intelligent job on Zaha. Defending at it's very highest.
Dunk 7 - Guilty of some very uncharacteristic poor passes in the first half - excellent in the second
Colwill 7.5 - Superb - God I wish we could sign him - he makes us so much better.
Pervis 7.5 - Boundless energy. great combinations with Mitoma as ever.
Caicedo 9 - Bossed it. I was interested to see him against Doucoure. Safe to say he won that battle. Ref is a twunt.
MacAllister 8 - Some incredible stuff from Mac last night. Went past their defence like they weren't there.
Gross 7.5 - Understated maestro performance.
March 8 - Lovely goal and the usual array of superb wing play - Southgate won't pick him though
Mitoma 7 - They doubled up on him all game - lovely assist.
Welbeck 7 - Pretty good game from him

Encisco 6.5 - If only that shot had gone in - looked pretty close from our angle - was it?
Sarmiento 6 - Didn't really notice him tbh
Ferguson 7 - Did what was required
Webster na - Amazed he made the bench - looked in real trouble on Saturday - Maybe he isn't made of crisps after all.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Some rather generous ratings for what was not a great performance. I think some folks have been more than generous just because we beat Palace. However Caceido was immense and Veltman, March and Steele had very good games. Mac Allister well below his best and Mitoma has had better games.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Steele 8 - good early save, out quickly twice. I don't think that was the right pass but if he made it to Moises it would have been fine but it skidded off the surface and our Pascal was to slow to make it! At that point, it felt like the only way Palace would score was that so probably should have gone.
Veltman 8
Dunk 6
Colwill 6
Pervis 8 - feel he is so important to the way we play
Caicedo 8
MacAllister - 6 got better as the game went on. Really think he is more effective as a two with Moises
Gross 6
March 8 - very good first half, didn't see him in the second
Mitoma 7 - made the goal
Welbeck 6 - felt he should have made better run from a couple of crosses in the second half.

Encisco 6
Sarmiento 6
Ferguson 7
Webster na
Ditto re the remark about Macallister.
Solly MotM for me.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Surprised at some of the comments about Mac Allister. I thought he was immense last night (having been a little underwhelming in the last few games)

SanchoMitoma

Feb 13, 2023
Some rather generous ratings for what was not a great performance. I think some folks have been more than generous just because we beat Palace. However Caceido was immense and Veltman, March and Steele had very good games. Mac Allister well below his best and Mitoma has had better games.
He’s at the root of the goal, without his break through + perfect pass, there wouldn’t be a Brighton win. March scored a great goal but he did nothing else of note the rest of the game and yet perceptions favor him. I’d give March an extra point for the goal but without Mitoma, Brighton’s last three goal don’t exist.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Steele 6
Veltman 7
Dunk 7
Colwill 6
Estupinan 7
Caicedo 7
Mac Allister 6
Groß 6
March 8
Mitoma 6
Welbeck 6

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He’s at the root of the goal, without his break through + perfect pass, there wouldn’t be a Brighton win. March scored a great goal but he did nothing else of note the rest of the game and yet perceptions favor him. I’d give March an extra point for the goal but without Mitoma, Brighton’s last three goal don’t exist.
March bullied and out-witted Haha, with Veltman eliminating their sole threat.

Great ball retention, always in the right place to advance us upfield.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yeah thers's certainly a bit of that.

I also think we're guilty of not giving Palace any credit.
They can defend well and they stopped plenty of through balls, by just about getting a touch on the ball.

A lot of our forward play was millimetres away from being exceptional.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I’d give March an extra point for the goal but without Mitoma, Brighton’s last three goal don’t exist.
Player ratings are based on the one match. Other than creating the goal I thought Palace managed Mitoma quite well.

SanchoMitoma

Feb 13, 2023
That’s where I disagree, he was efficient. Participated in the flow of the football but when the situation called for it, he created the goal. Besides he’s playing alongside Estupinan who’s a serious ball hogger and it implies a lot more defensive work than playing with a more classic side back like Veltman.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Even your username means that I'll treat your comments about Mitoma with a certain scepticism. March clearly performed better than Mitoma last night, as good as the assist was. This doesn't mean that March is a better player than Mitoma, or is having a better season -- both are candidates for PotS in my view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here