Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings vs Newcastle (h)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think your scoring mechanism is more ridiculous.

Surely you base ratings on what players do well, as well as the mistakes they make. You can’t start everyone at 10 otherwise you’d have subs coming on in injury time as a 10, purely on the basis they’ve done nothing wrong.

I gave Sanchez a 7 and that pretty much down to above average distribution and he claimed the odd high ball.

You clearly don't start everyone at 10, but the goalkeepers position is very different. Exams are often marked like that depending on the discipline.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Silly analogy.

The goalkeeper position is obviously quite different and should clearly be judged differently to other players. If you judge a goalkeeper simply on what saves they make, it also highlights an uneducated view of the role their play in marshalling and communicating to the defenders.

How can an armchair fan, which is all we are at present, judge Sanchez’s communication. He might have been singing Ricky Martin songs for all we know.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sanchez 8 - played his part with calm distribution and mopped up high and through balls.

Veltman 8.5
Dunk 8
White 8
Moder 8

Gross 8
Bissouma 9 Joint MOTM
Lallana 9 Joint MOTM
Trossard 8.5

Maupay 8 - vital work rate even when his finishing was poor.
Welbeck 8.5

Zeqiri 6
MacAllister 6
Propper na

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
How can an armchair fan, which is all we are at present, judge Sanchez’s communication.

Unfortunately the marks wouldn't be any different if the stadium was full. I'm just highlighting the oddness of marking a goalkeeper and I've been consistent in commenting it about many times over the years.

Brighton Goalkeeper (Nothing to do) - 6.5

Lost 3.5 points because no-one made a mistake leading the goalkeeper to make a save ? Sorry ?

Where did the 6.5 come from ?

Might as well mark "n/a" as many do when a defender comes on for the last 5 minutes.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Unfortunately the marks wouldn't be any different if the stadium was full. I'm just highlighting the oddness of marking a goalkeeper and I've been consistent in commenting it about many times over the years.

Lost 3.5 points because no-one made a mistake leading the goalkeeper to make a save ? Sorry ?

Might as well mark "n/a" as many do when a defender comes on for the last 5 minutes.

I see where you’re coming from, from a degree but likewise a score of 6.5 feels a better reflection of their contribution than a 10, which suggests they would be MOTM and the key to the result.

Sanchez was no better than any of our outfield players tonight, but by your criteria scored a 10, which in turn is our MOTM. It doesn’t make little sense to me.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Why don't you mark the players how you want to and let other people mark how they want to .... easy to shoot other people down.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I see where you’re coming from, from a degree but likewise a score of 6.5 feels a better reflection of their contribution than a 10, which suggests they would be MOTM and the key to the result.

Sanchez was no better than any of our outfield players tonight, but by your criteria scored a 10, which in turn is our MOTM. It doesn’t make little sense to me.

Then don't mark him at all.

"Sanchez was no better than any of our outfield players tonight"

The goalkeeper isn't one.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Such a interesting game to watch with Wellbeck and Maupay playing out wide cutting in , there were tactical adjustments all over the pitch but the one that made the most difference was playing Llanna slightly deeper , everything just went through him , pure class that was .

Moder impressed me and will get better with more game time , looks to have a hell of a engine .

Nobody gets less than a 7 but Llanna gets my MOTM with a conservative 9 .

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Lallana world class tonight.

There was a single incident that sticks in the mind. Newcastle had an attacking throw-in in our half and you could hear Lallana shouting instructions to the youths whilst pointing to the locations on the pitch where they should be positioned. He does this all match. When he was subbed off against West Brom on 61mins at home, you can see why the team collapsed; the head was cut off.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
There was a single incident that sticks in the mind. Newcastle had an attacking throw-in in our half and you could hear Lallana shouting instructions to the youths whilst pointing to the locations on the pitch where they should be positioned. He does this all match. When he was subbed off against West Brom on 61mins at home, you can see why the team collapsed; the head was cut off.

Gross is also a positive talker and good at organising.

Maupay is just a moan

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lallana was man of the match for me. He always gave us that extra second on the ball Newcastle could never find for themselves. His class made us look so in control.

Whilst we have a very young side, the last two games have shown the steadying effect of two established Premier League players in Lallana and Welbeck. Fingers crossed they stay fit.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Sanchez - 6- didn’t have much to do but was calm throughout
White -7- pressed well and got forward well
Dunk -7- cool on the ball to get us playing out from the back
Veltman 7- seems to be able to play anywhere
Gross -7- few Cruyffs and an assist
Bissoumma -9- MOTM - bossed the midfield . Was critical of him after Southampton but some excellent challenges today
Trossard -8- Handful all evening . Couldn’t work out where he was playing and it seemed, Newcastle couldn’t either
Lallana-8- always wanting the ball and his chip ball in to the box was sublime.
Moder -6- didn’t have to do anything defensively. Got in the positions but didn’t finish
Maupay -8- so happy to see him score . Worked hard all night
Welbeck -8- brilliant finish and seems to have got quicker

Potter -10- This guy showed courage tonight. Getting Maupay and Welbeck out on the wings. If this didn’t work and we didn’t score there would have been uproar about not playing anyone through the middle. Was a tactical masterclass.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I wouldn't say Moder played LWB. We played a kind of 3 - 4 - 3 formation. Moder was essentially playing somewhere between left of a 3 man midfield and an inside forward.
One of Potter's best yet.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Then don't mark him at all.

"Sanchez was no better than any of our outfield players tonight"

The goalkeeper isn't one.

I'd give up if I were you! Some people just don't get it. For what it's worth, Sanchez was excellent tonight, gobbled up anything that came near him, displayed great positioning and always looked confident. He seemed to enjoy playing keep ball in the last ten minutes too. Good solid game, easily an 8 imo.

Feb 3, 2013

It's only a silly rating.

We all know Sanchez has been class and is a composed presence in the team which has definitely sured us up at the back.

But you gotta judge him on what he actually does in a match.

As you said it's a unique position so sometimes you have to rate keepers lower if they don't have anything to do but that doesn't mean he didn't play well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here