Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ***Player Ratings vs Leicester***

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If 6 is average,

Many reviews for individuals are stated higher than that but, if the same review averages 7 and the team performance is rated at say 6, that doesn't stack up as all players contribute to the team performance.

Can someone please tell me what I am missing.

Awaits flaming !

IMO a player can play well, but it is the combined effort that makes a team. Looking at my own ratings, when I did them I felt defensively we did above average, but offensively created little, so they were 6’s in the main, plus a 5 for Izzy as I felt he was woeful.

I would suggest a team score would be everyone working together, in our case maintaining a good shape, being careful in possession and providing an offensive threat, the majority of which we were nowhere near.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Ryan - 6 Didn't do a lot wrong no chance with the pen
Bruno - 5 - I worry when quick players get 1 on 1 with him. Still very good going forward.
Dunk - 8 - Made some fantastic challenges under pressure 2nd half.
Duffy - 8 - One great challenge and generally stood up well under pressure
Bernardo - 6 - Lol when given MOM started very poorly improved sure, but MOM? Seriously?
Knockaert 4 - 1st half did quite well but may as well have gone home at HT
Propper - 7.5 - thought he was excellent until he started to run out of steam 2nd half, surprised Chris left him out there but decent.
Kayal - 6 - very good 1st half overrun in the 2nd and rash for the pen
Izquierdo - 3 - Even if he's not fit no excuse for ignoring better placed team mates. Played for himself and didn't do that very well. Should've come off earlier
Gross - 7 Looked rusty but we suddenly had some invention in the last 3rd. Running on fumes 2nd half.
Murray - 8 - Thought he was excellent especially with no help from the ref. Lead the line well even though he took a knock, goal too.

Andone - 6 - Tough to come into that when the tide was against us, showed some nice touches.
March - 4 - Solly looks shot of confidence at the moment crosses hitting 1st man time after time.
Locadia - 6 - Didn't affect it too much but hardly his fault on way too late.

Hughton - 4 - Big fan as a rule but their goal was coming most of the 2nd half and changes clearly needed to be made long before they were. .Subs way too late and for me needed to put some legs into midfield rather than throw forwards on willy nilly once it went 1-1

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ryan - 6 Didn't do a lot wrong no chance with the pen
Bruno - 5 - I worry when quick players get 1 on 1 with him. Still very good going forward.
Dunk - 8 - Made some fantastic challenges under pressure 2nd half.
Duffy - 8 - One great challenge and generally stood up well under pressure
Bernardo - 6 - Lol when given MOM started very poorly improved sure, but MOM? Seriously?
Knockaert 4 - 1st half did quite well but may as well have gone home at HT
Propper - 7.5 - thought he was excellent until he started to run out of steam 2nd half, surprised Chris left him out there but decent.
Kayal - 6 - very good 1st half overrun in the 2nd and rash for the pen
Izquierdo - 3 - Even if he's not fit no excuse for ignoring better placed team mates. Played for himself and didn't do that very well. Should've come off earlier
Gross - 7 Looked rusty but we suddenly had some invention in the last 3rd. Running on fumes 2nd half.
Murray - 8 - Thought he was excellent especially with no help from the ref. Lead the line well even though he took a knock, goal too.

Andone - 6 - Tough to come into that when the tide was against us, showed some nice touches.
March - 4 - Solly looks shot of confidence at the moment crosses hitting 1st man time after time.
Locadia - 6 - Didn't affect it too much but hardly his fault on way too late.

Hughton - 4 - Big fan as a rule but their goal was coming most of the 2nd half and changes clearly needed to be made long before they were. .Subs way too late and for me needed to put some legs into midfield rather than throw forwards on willy nilly once it went 1-1

Like whom when both GM and PG were struggling.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
So the premier league's joint 2nd top scorer has been sussed out!? Riiiiiiight. I think that stupid viewpoint negates any other opinion you have.
So how many free kicks did he win yesterday?

How many times was he left on his back side appealing for a foul that wasn't, and the ball coming back at us? And you think referees haven't sussed him out. Or are they just all nasty and anti-Brighton? I'd say he's been sussed out. Watch him, not the ball, but watch Murray, and you may have your answer why refs aren't giving him a lot of fouls, when most of the crowd think is one. All the refs are doing it. Maybe they are not all wrong!
No doubt from set pieces he is lethal. But when you are playing ten men, at home, against a mid table side, with two of the slowest centre backs in the Premiership, I think maybe a bit of pace would have been a better option.

What's the stat, ten out of the last eleven goals are from set pieces. Have you watched Andone of th bench in the last few away games. Looks a different option to me.

Remember we beat Newcastle without Murray. He's ****ing brilliant this season, but he's not the only option.

And if you noticed, I did say time to give him a rest, particularly away from home. How many goals as the league joint 2nd top scorer scored on the road this season?

One. A penalty at Southampton.

But you keep making your snide comments, without any substance. I'll keep making valid points.

Last edited:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
He is joint 2nd top scorer in the premier league. If that is his record AND he has been sussed out I dare to think how many he would have if he wasn't! If he keeps his form up for the rest of this season he can keep being sussed out for all I care!

And if you noticed, I did say time to give him a rest, particularly away from home. You even quoted me on that. How many goals as the league joint 2nd top scorer scored on the road this season?

One. A penalty at Southampton.

But you keep making your snide comments, without any substance. I'll keep making valid points.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
The away record has more to do with where we are as a team in this division and, as such, have to have a much more cautious approach away from home.
I am sure Andone will be used more in the coming games as he offeres a different threat. But it is not because Murray has been sussed out.
More cautious away from home? If we was any more cautious on Saturday, we'd have lined everyone up on the goal line. We are cautious in every game we play. But Anyway, back to the term sussed out, why do you think Murray isn't getting free kicks, when 90% of the Albion support thinks he should. It's not just Saturday. He got nothing at Cardiff, nothing at Everton. Why is that? Why do you think there are constant groans when a free kick goes against him? Are all the refs against him? Or have they "sussed" him out. Watch him for the next few games. Not as the ball gets to him, watch him before its played. He's very clever, but the refs don't seem to be buying it at the moment do they, or are they all wrong all the time?

If as you say on the road its due to our cautious approach, then why play him? We sit back to hit teams on the break, and as much as we all love Glenn now, he's not the paciest is he? I think he have a bleak season ahead of us if our main goal threat away from home return is penalties.

Because if he's the second top scorer in the premier league, and his away return is one penalty against Southampton and we are now over a third of the way through the season, maybe just maybe I have a point when I say it may be time for something different PARTICULARLY away from home.

And maybe if you actually read, thought, and respond about what people say, instead of your natural knee jerk reaction which is to make a snide comment, you'd be a more interesting poster...............

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Not doubting your stat, but poor delivery is a major issue for us. Incidentally Solly was on corners when he came on, one good one, one poor.

Solly has struggled in this area, but once again, he hit form, with good delivery at Cardiff particularly, and was left out, instead of the off-form Izquierdo and Knockaert.

I think he needs to play instead of Izquierdo.

Edit - I do agree numbers in the box are also a problem

Yeh all logical and I agree that poor delivery can be an issue, although for March I'd argue that his delivery of late has been excellent. For me personally, it would be instead of Knockaert at the moment on the right, who I think has really struggled since he came back into the side after his good early season form.

Also, for me at least, Izquierdo for all his faults is our one major pace outlet in the side going forward. Teams already know they can push up really high against us due to our lack of pace. If you take Izquierdo out of the side as well, we become far, far too predictable and easy to play against.

But that's all just my opinion. I know many on here really dislike March, so the idea of him starting for many isn't a good one.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
You are forgetting who took the perfect corner that Murray scored from. I would NEVER pick March over a fit AK, but that’s just me.

When I think of March crossing I think of a player with his head down who doesn’t even bother to look up before he crosses. Is that too harsh?

I didn't forget it. It's in my player ratings that he got the assist ;) I just think Knockaert started the season well and has dropped off quite substantially after being unfairly dropped. And then CH has dropped March just as he's starting to find some form and consistency. I'm not entirely sure about CHs utilisation of his playing resources this year but, for me, March is the player more on form at the moment and he's the one who deserves to start.

I think it's too harsh re March. But actually, I've always preferred March on the right. I think he becomes too predictable on the left and often just swings crosses in automatically as it's on his favoured foot. On the right he has to vary his play more often via either utilising the full backs, switching play, going at the defender one on one or taking a shot. But I don't have any issue with anyone who opposes this view.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yeh all logical and I agree that poor delivery can be an issue, although for March I'd argue that his delivery of late has been excellent. For me personally, it would be instead of Knockaert at the moment on the right, who I think has really struggled since he came back into the side after his good early season form.

Also, for me at least, Izquierdo for all his faults is our one major pace outlet in the side going forward. Teams already know they can push up really high against us due to our lack of pace. If you take Izquierdo out of the side as well, we become far, far too predictable and easy to play against.

But that's all just my opinion. I know many on here really dislike March, so the idea of him starting for many isn't a good one.

That’s fair re Izquierdo, but my argument is that based on current form, he is a one trick pony (get the ball cut inside), and looks the least likely out of himself, Knocky and Solly to create or score.

Re Solly recently, yes that’s my point, every time he gets a degree of momentum/form, he’s left out.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Murray always gives away a load of free kicks, he also wins a load. He always has and always will, that is his style. There will be games it works better than others. If you want us to play with a different style that Murray does not fit into just say it, because claiming he has been sussed out is plainly incorrect: just look at his season's stats!

Fouls committed

1. Glenn Murray Brighton 44
2. James McArthu Crystal Palace 24
2. Luka Milivojevic Crystal Palace 24
4. Will Hughes Watford 23
5. Mohamed Diamé Newcastle 22

MMMMmmm. I would say that pretty much proves the referees have sussed out Glenn Murray, which is the reason why he is not winning free kicks and giving a lot away. But no, you keep on ignoring everything else I say, and trying to twist things to try and justify your, incorrect, argument.

Nearly twice as many fouls as the chasing pack........ mmm he's really fooling the refs isn't he?

One goal away from one (Penatly against Southampton)

One victory away from home, (Murray subbed after 10 minutes in the only game we won)

I say its time to give him a rest, particularly away from home. Particularly against teams with slow centre halves.

Doesn't mean I don't like him. I doesn't mean I don't want him in the side. Just saying its time to give him a rest for a while and try something different, particularly away from home.
~
But you keep going mate. You're really showing your vast football knowledge and blinkered-free thinking.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Fouls committed

1. Glenn Murray Brighton 44
2. James McArthu Crystal Palace 24
2. Luka Milivojevic Crystal Palace 24
4. Will Hughes Watford 23
5. Mohamed Diamé Newcastle 22

MMMMmmm. I would say that pretty much proves the referees have sussed out Glenn Murray, which is the reason why he is not winning free kicks and giving a lot away. But no, you keep on ignoring everything else I say, and trying to twist things to try and justify your, incorrect, argument.

Nearly twice as many fouls as the chasing pack........ mmm he's really fooling the refs isn't he?

One goal away from one (Penatly against Southampton)

One victory away from home, (Murray subbed after 10 minutes in the only game we won)

I say its time to give him a rest, particularly away from home. Particularly against teams with slow centre halves.

Doesn't mean I don't like him. I doesn't mean I don't want him in the side. Just saying its time to give him a rest for a while and try something different, particularly away from home.
~
But you keep going mate. You're really showing your vast football knowledge and blinkered-free thinking.

The weekend was a prime example of this. He was absolutely battered at the weekend and got, from memory, one free kick. Any time he seemed to go anywhere near them or get involved in any form of tussle and the ref blew.

Part of the issue though is that we don't get players close enough to him for him to play the ball straight off regularly enough. So the issue isn't necessarily that Murray has been found out, it's often that the systemic issues stop him being able to play his best game and so he has to do the best with what he has i.e. try and hold the ball up whilst being surrounded or win a free kick.

Personally, despite his scoring record, I'm with you in switching it up away from home. I love Murray, but we need to push teams back and that only happens when they're either scared of your pace in behind or when you can pass your way up the pitch. We aren't good at the latter, so we need more players in away from home who can do the former. Gross and Murray simply don't scare teams away from home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here