Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Barnsley

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Conway best player 7, all subs decent 6 rest 5 apart from Lopez and JFC 3

This. Conway was good tonight, he seemed to be really trying and was unlucky not score. Anyone who marks him lower than 6 or 7 is either just bitter about the result or still fuming about his poor performance earlier this season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This. Conway was good tonight, he seemed to be really trying and was unlucky not score. Anyone who marks him lower than 6 or 7 is either just bitter about the result or still fuming about his poor performance earlier this season.

Conway was good Barnes dreadful, his first touch was mostly appalling as was that shot past the post. I wonder if he is feeling the effects of being battered game in game out? Worst I've seen from him for a long time.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
A game of opinions - but how can Ward and Upson be given such scores (and Upson MoM announced at the game) when they walked down our left side and tapped the ball in the net? Very very bad defending that Ward and Upson have to take the blame for (and PiG for that matter)

stugbhafc1

Stuie G
Aug 4, 2011
Southwick
Agree with most of this. Conway was by far our best player and can't understand why he is being given such low marks, probably because if you have one bad game early on for Albion then you are classed as crap forever. You can't compare him with Buckley on tonight's performance, Buckley has been poor for most of this season and tonight ducked out of a header when easier to score and missed a one on one with their keeper. Nowhere near the player he was last season and becoming a sick note. We looked more potent when Agustein came on and replaced Spanish Dave who was lucky to get a 3.If he plays against Leicester, he must be Oscar's love child lol. Oh and by the way their second goal was a yard offside, but we deserved nothing from the game anyway.
Agreed on Conway he did try and give us a spark.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Kuszczack 5 - didn't have a lot to do but should have done better with at least one of the goals
Bruno 3 - poor, really poor - and pedestrian too
Greer 4 - shaky
Upson 5 - a mark more for the goal, otherwise he was poor - and slow
Ward 6 - the best of the defence and offered something going forward, my MOM but difficult to pick anyone out
Bridcutt 4 - off the pace, lacked his usual sharpness and overrun
Crofts 4 - poor, lacked his usual drive
JFC 3 - should not have started, i hope Ince was unfit
Lopez 3 - lacking confidence
Conway 6 - our most potent attacking threat first half and a reasonable second
Barnes 5 - no service

Subs:
Buckley 6 - not fully tuned up
Agustein 7 - showed skill and vision, once fit I am sure he will be a good player for us
Lita 4 - think he touched the ball twice

Oscar got the selection and tactics wrong last night. I hope Ince was unfit rather than dropped.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It was jean-Paul Sartre who said: "In football everything is complicated by the presence of the opposite team"

Well, he said it in French, and it would probably be better translated as "opposing team", but the upshot of it is that Barnsley deserve some credit. Their interim manager in his post-match interview said they came to "keep the ball", and they did. They did not look like a managerless team at the bottom of the division.

The match stats from the BBC gave us the majority of the possession - 53% to 47%, which surprised me, and also said there were 15 shots on target as opposed to Barnsley's 9. There was the goal, Conway's excellent effort which was pushed against the post, and a couple of other feeble efforts which barely needed a save, but were there 15 on target?

And Barnsley have a very good goalkeeper, and I thought he did very well last night, despite the time-wasting.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Kuszscak 4

Bruno 4
Upson 6
Greer 4
Ward 5

Bridcutt 6
Forster-Caskey 3
Crofts 4
Lopez 4
Conway 6

Barnes 4 What is Barnes doing up there? He runs back towards our midfield after he's mis-controlled the ball or stands in the box the wrong -side of the defender and makes no attempt to drop off his defender or run infront of him to actually attack the ball. I accept he tracks back and was even right-back at one point.( Note to Bruno)

Subs:

Buckley 6
Agustien 5
Lita - 6 - He should start on Saturday as when he came on he ran the channels and pulled the defenders out of position. ok he doesn't track back like Barnes but he also offers movement and gets infront of his marker. (Note to Barnes)

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
A bad night at the office compounded by an excellent Barnsley performance especially Jack Butland.

Barnes 3, terrible, we were playing with 10 men...
Greer, Crofts, Lopez and Koosh were all well under Par so 4
Rest 5, except:
Conway 7 - MOTM easily and Ward 6

Subs:
Buckley 5 - looked out of touch
Agustein 7 - looked very assured and skillful when he came on, a creative threat that we lacked beforehand
Lita - N/A

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Kuszczak 5 - should have done better with the first. Some dodgy distribution

Bruno 5
Greer 5
Upson 5 - How did any of our defenders get man of the match when they let Barnsley walk right through to score?
Ward 5

Bridcutt 5
Crofts 5
Forster-Caskey 4 - Barely noticed him
Lopez 4
Conway 6 - Thought he played quite well in the second half

Barnes 5

Buckley 4
Agustein 5
Lita 4

I wasn't pleased with the performance, but I thought some of the abuse the fans gave them was unwarranted. It's often said on here that NSC is just an internet messageboard, that it isn't representative of the real fans. Going on the people around me it is. There are plenty of negative people around me who seem to be hoping for us to screw up so they can complain. Granted, the team gave them a lot of reason to, but it sometimes feels like the people around me will accept no less than perfection - any pass that doesn't meet a team mate is slaughtered, any shot that doesn't go in, any corner that doesn't result in a goal, any opposition run that isn't stopped. The arrogance of our fans is rather offensive. This sense that "we should be beating teams like..." just because we're brighton. Even before the game had settled down into a clear pattern of us under-performing and Barnsley playing well people around me were ready to jump on the team they supposedly support because one pass was overplayed or intercepted. It's ridiculous.

Also frustrating to (twice) see Lopez cross a ball that is close to being perfect. An inch higher and it goes past that last defender onto the head of the teammate just behind that defender and hear people complain "who was that to? There's no one there! awful!", then see Buckley do exactly the same thing to be met with "That's what we've been missing!".

Some people have already decided that Lopez isn't good enough this season, so allow that to paint their reading of the game. (Same with Conway, Bruno, Greer, has always been the case with Barnes).

As bad as our performance was, it was the people around me who disappointed me most today.

Things aren't quite so bad round my parts of WSU, but you're right that there's just too much negativity both in the stadium and on NSC. There's also too much noise on NSC, but not in the stadium.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Kuszczak 5 - should have done better with the first. Some dodgy distribution

Bruno 5
Greer 5
Upson 5 - How did any of our defenders get man of the match when they let Barnsley walk right through to score?
Ward 5

Bridcutt 5
Crofts 5
Forster-Caskey 4 - Barely noticed him
Lopez 4
Conway 6 - Thought he played quite well in the second half

Barnes 5

Buckley 4
Agustein 5
Lita 4

I wasn't pleased with the performance, but I thought some of the abuse the fans gave them was unwarranted. It's often said on here that NSC is just an internet messageboard, that it isn't representative of the real fans. Going on the people around me it is. There are plenty of negative people around me who seem to be hoping for us to screw up so they can complain. Granted, the team gave them a lot of reason to, but it sometimes feels like the people around me will accept no less than perfection - any pass that doesn't meet a team mate is slaughtered, any shot that doesn't go in, any corner that doesn't result in a goal, any opposition run that isn't stopped. The arrogance of our fans is rather offensive. This sense that "we should be beating teams like..." just because we're brighton. Even before the game had settled down into a clear pattern of us under-performing and Barnsley playing well people around me were ready to jump on the team they supposedly support because one pass was overplayed or intercepted. It's ridiculous.

Also frustrating to (twice) see Lopez cross a ball that is close to being perfect. An inch higher and it goes past that last defender onto the head of the teammate just behind that defender and hear people complain "who was that to? There's no one there! awful!", then see Buckley do exactly the same thing to be met with "That's what we've been missing!".

Some people have already decided that Lopez isn't good enough this season, so allow that to paint their reading of the game. (Same with Conway, Bruno, Greer, has always been the case with Barnes).

As bad as our performance was, it was the people around me who disappointed me most today.

This, some very unrealistic expectations of people around me in WSU. The fact is that that team was unbeaten and it's good management to say 'you'll keep your place until injured or you play badly'. It keeps competition for places up and prevents complacency. We played badly, so I am sure that there will be changes on Saturday. If there are not, then I would question Garcia's resolve to keep that edge to our play...

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Kusczack 4
Bruno 3
Greer 5
Upson 6
Ward 6
Bridcutt 5
Crofts 5
JFC 3
Lopez 5
Barnes 5
Conway 7

Subs
Buckley 6
Lita 6
Agustien 6

Conway easily our best player last night, plenty of running and effort, some good crosses and our best effort on goal, everyone else poor or average. Agustien looked like he could pass the ball and had some idea, needed to be on longer; he and Lita should start on Saturday.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Kuszczack 6 - Very unprotected
Bruno 4 - Awful first half, better second but gives the ball away so much
Greer 5 - Struggled last night
Upson 4 - Yes he scored but looked sluggish and could have done more for both goals
Ward 5 - Ok in defence but caught short for the second
Bridcutt 5 - Good 1st half but tailed off understandably in the second
Crofts 4 - Poor
JFC 4 - See Crofts
Lopez 2 - One paced, poor dead balls, wasted posession a lot
Conway 6 - Comfortably our best player
Barnes 5 - Definately worked hard but SO isolated

Subs:
Buckley 6 - Good but clearly needs a couple of games
Agustein 6 - Good vision and started to make things tick - Lacks fitness though still (understandably) but good signs
Lita 5 - I.S.O.L.A.T.E.D

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bridcutt 5 - Good 1st half but tailed off understandably in the second
QUOTE]

I thought exactly the opposite. Well off the pace in the first half, poor first touch and knocked off the ball a few times. Much more like the old Bridders at times in the second half.

Stumpy Tim

This, some very unrealistic expectations of people around me in WSU. The fact is that that team was unbeaten and it's good management to say 'you'll keep your place until injured or you play badly'. It keeps competition for places up and prevents complacency. We played badly, so I am sure that there will be changes on Saturday. If there are not, then I would question Garcia's resolve to keep that edge to our play...

Why was Ince dropped then?

It was a poor performance and, Conway aside, the winners from this were Kemy, Ince and Ulloa.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
It was jean-Paul Sartre who said: "In football everything is complicated by the presence of the opposite team"

Well, he said it in French, and it would probably be better translated as "opposing team", but the upshot of it is that Barnsley deserve some credit. Their interim manager in his post-match interview said they came to "keep the ball", and they did. They did not look like a managerless team at the bottom of the division.

The match stats from the BBC gave us the majority of the possession - 53% to 47%, which surprised me, and also said there were 15 shots on target as opposed to Barnsley's 9. There was the goal, Conway's excellent effort which was pushed against the post, and a couple of other feeble efforts which barely needed a save, but were there 15 on target?

And Barnsley have a very good goalkeeper, and I thought he did very well last night, despite the time-wasting.

Butland also made another great save from Buckley in the 2nd half (the ball was pulled back by Conway & Buckley got on the end of it) :thumbsup:

Your spot-on about Barnsley though. They looked a quality outfit compared to our hapless rabble & thoroughly deserved the win. as good as they were last night, we were the Polar opposite. Absolutely dreadful 'performance'. And what the Hell was Garcia doing by continuing with the one striker - when it was patently obvious that we needed to have a go (ie go 4-4-2) after we went 2 down? I hope to God that he (& the lovely Jonah) can get a reaction from their charges by Saturday, otherwise I can see us getting properly hammered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here