Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings v Reading

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Stockdale - 6 - Spilled a couple of shots and distribution not at it's best but another clean sheet and dominates his box
Bruno - 7 - Solid, fannied about a bit before crossing a bit too often but otherwise good
Goldson - 8 - Excellent again
Dunk - 6 - Not his best and gave away possession far too much in dangerous positions, but won virtually every header and looks the part
Rosenior - 8 - I just love this guy. Works hard and just as productive at left back as he is right back and right midfield. Such a fine acquisition
Knockaert - 6 - Over complicated things a bit but still kept their left back occupied
Kayal - 7 - Kept it simple and tidy and harried their midfield well. God, we miss him when he's not there
Stephens - 5.5 - Pressed well and tackled hard, but a bit reckless at times and could have had a second yellow. Gave away possession quite a lot too
Murphy - 6.5 - Also not his best game, and the defenders showed him down the line a lot which isn't his strength but still looked good
Baldock - 7.5 - Ran hard and harried their defence mercilessly. Underrated
Wilson - 6.5 - Lovely goal but still disappears for long stints. Worked very hard though and great to see him back in the goals

Bong - 7 - Looks super fit, strong and hungry. So happy to have him back
Lua Lua - 5 - Didn't really offer much
Sidwell N/A

Hughton - 7 - Tactically spot on. Not our best performance but the result was the important thing. On to MK Dons!

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Stockers 6.5
Bruno 7.5
Goldson 8 MoM
Dunk 6.5
Rosenior 8
Knockaert 6
Kayal 7
Stephens 6.5
Murphy 6.5
Baldock 7
Wilson 6.5

Bong 7
Kaz 6
Sidwell N/A

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Stockdale 7.5 Distribution fantastic, one slight fumble
Bruno 7
Dunk 7.5 Great in the air, one or two dodgy lumps forward
Goldson 8.5 Whatever we paid for this lad, it was a Bargain.
Roseinor 8.5 Classy. I really really like him as a player.
Knockaert 6.5 Some good, some bad. Needs a rest or a goal.
Stephens 6.5 Not his best, should have scored.
Kayal 7 missed him vs Wednesday:lolol:
Murphy 7 Linked well for the goal
Baldock 8 Ran and ran, silky touches, but needs to SCORE.
Wilson 8 Really well taken goal, looked decent.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Stockdale - 6.7 - No real moments, but a decent enough game
Bruno - 7.8 - Pure quality.
Goldson - 8.0 - Our best centre back by far. Had Vydra in his pocket.
Dunk - 6.0 - Some decent defending, but some awful passing. Got completely lost defending a corner once.
Rosenior - 7.8 - No coincidence we have kept so many clean sheets since his return. Quality.
Knockaert - 6.6 - Looked a threat, but just didn't happen for him.
Stephens - 6.0 - Sloppy passing, but defended well. Should of scored.
Kayal - 7.2 - The sort of performance you can expect from him. Doesn't really have bad games.
Murphy - 6.8 - Similar to Knockaert, but slightly better.
Baldock - 8.0 - Back to his best. All our best chances came because of him.
Wilson - 7.0 - Well taken goal, but not really in the game as much as we would have hoped.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Stockdale 6 Made some decent saves, but his passing wasn't good enough and he spilled one easier looking effort from which they should've scored. One of his poorer games this year
Bruno 8 (MOTM) The classiest player on the pitch, defended well, excellent distribution out of the back and supported Goldson well.
Goldson 7 Good defensively, poor on the ball.
Dunk 7 Good defensively, poor on the ball.
Rosenior 7 Good defensively, poor on the ball.
Knockaert 7 Worked very hard defensively to support Bruno, set up a chance, missed a chance. Decent without being spectacular.
Kayal 7 Good and gave us impetus, but some of his passing was a little off.
Stephens 7 Very good, but his easy missed chance pulls his grade down.
Murphy 7 Worked hard defensively, didn't really give the ball away, but his shooting wasn't as good as it has been. One of his more ineffective games recently, but still decent.
Baldock 7 Set up chances, got an assist, worked hard in pressing from the front, but not decisive with his one chance and too many moves broke down when the ball was played into him - lost the ball a lot.
Wilson 7.5 Had that extra bit of class for the goal. Worked hard defensively and played in a deeper role than Baldock which suited him less, but generally did what he needed to.

Bong 6 Came on, did his job.
KLL 6 Came on, committed two fouls, gave the ball away with half of his passes...
Sidwell N/A

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/9...gland-Championship-2015-2016-Brighton-Reading just for everyone that's pulling up Stephens and Dunk for losing the ball, and then not rating Kayal and Goldson down for the same thing...

People always see what they want to see, we all do i, i tend not to go on stats.

if you pass sideways all the time without trying to go forward as it were your pass success rate will clearly be better.

if your a player that is trying to make something happen going forward your stats will inevitably be worse, but 1 of those 3 passes you attempt may just create a goal that wins the game.

People just got a bit frustrated last night that we did not keep the ball a bit better, without a Hemed or Zamora up front our ball retention in forward areas will always be poor.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
just seen the goal on player from all angles, difficult one to take so Wilson alone gets a 9 from me
and if we should go up lets make MU an offer for him?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Now I know why we had a low crowd last night as some people were at another game where someone who looks like Lewis Dunk was playing badly.... he was the best defender and yes made some mistakes but did a lot of work. yes he had some dodgy passes but he also had some good ones and was one of the few trying to get the ball forward. Goldson is a good player but he makes more mistakes than Dunk and does not get the ball forward as much.I am not going to slate him for that....I am also glad that Wilson has shown his detractors what he is capable off - he is a brilliant finisher, might not have same work rate as some but I would rather him do less and score more.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/9...gland-Championship-2015-2016-Brighton-Reading just for everyone that's pulling up Stephens and Dunk for losing the ball, and then not rating Kayal and Goldson down for the same thing...

I often wonder if some people are watching the same game as I am, for anybody to give Dunk lower than a 7 in a game with another clean sheet. If we are deducting 2 points per misplaced pass then perhaps i'd understand it, but then Goldson should score lower as well. Undoubtedly due to bias over the uncertainty in the summer and some calamities over the Christmas period.

Find it quite funny that the gameplan last night was undoubtedly to put longballs in behind them, yet he is now criticised for 'hoofballs'.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
People always see what they want to see, we all do i, i tend not to go on stats.

if you pass sideways all the time without trying to go forward as it were your pass success rate will clearly be better.

if your a player that is trying to make something happen going forward your stats will inevitably be worse, but 1 of those 3 passes you attempt may just create a goal that wins the game.

People just got a bit frustrated last night that we did not keep the ball a bit better, without a Hemed or Zamora up front our ball retention in forward areas will always be poor.

Unfortunately, you've contradicted yourself in your own post, and you'd have known that if you looked at the stats.

Dunk has been criticised for misplacing passes yesterday by many of the fans rating performances in this thread, yet Goldson hasn't. Despite that, Dunk actually attempted more long balls to try and spread the play (and made a lot more of them, percentage wise, than Goldson did last night), as well as trying more passes overall. Furthermore, despite trying over double the amount of long balls, Dunk only had a 1% lower pass completion rate overall...

Basically, you can peddle out all the "I use my eyes rather than stats" rubbish if you want to, but it makes your argument a bit nonsensical and contradictory, because the facts don't support your argument on any level (not even your point about passing sideways more). Dunk tried a lot more passes, and a lot more difficult passes than Goldson last night, yet they basically completed the same amount of passes, percentage wise. So anyone marking Dunk down for his poor passing, but not Goldson, shouldn't be trusting their eyes.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

According to that, Dale Stephens was our best player last night. Hard to take that serious.

There's a difference between an unsuccessful pass, and a 'silly' pass that goes straight to the opposition. Dunk had too many of the latter, hence why many have rated him down.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
According to that, Dale Stephens was our best player last night. Hard to take that serious.

There's a difference between an unsuccessful pass, and a 'silly' pass that goes straight to the opposition. Dunk had too many of the latter, hence why many have rated him down.

:facepalm:

If we are going to rate him down every game for a misplaced pass, a long ball that didn't come off or even a bit of shirt tugging then we're going to be at a point where following our 11th clean sheet in a row Dunk will have an average rating of 5.5. I'm sure many of you will believe that to be justified and that CG is the root cause, I on the other hand live in the real world. Both of them put in solid 7+ performances last night, and both would easily have been 8+ if they weren't poor on the ball.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
just seen the goal on player from all angles, difficult one to take so Wilson alone gets a 9 from me
and if we should go up lets make MU an offer for him?

Weird apart from his goal I thought he was challenging Stephens for worst player on the pitch. Baldock was the best player by a mile

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Stockdale 6
Bruno 8.5 MOM
Goldson 8
Dunk 7
Rosenior 7
Knockaert 7
Kayal 7
Stephens 5.5
Murphy 6
Baldock 7
Wilson 7

Bong 6
Kaz 6
Sidwell na

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Stockdale - 6
Bruno - 9
Rosenior - 7
Dunk - 7
Goldson - 8
Kayal - 7
Stephens - 6
Murphy - 7
Knockeart - 7
Baldock - 8
Wilson - 8

Bong - 7
Lua Lua - 7
Sidwell - na

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Weird apart from his goal I thought he was challenging Stephens for worst player on the pitch. Baldock was the best player by a mile

there have been many like that, even Peter Ward had quiet games and another Gerry Ryan but when they got in front of goal done the business and the games I have seen with Glen Murray he has looked laconic and dare I say it lazy but even now he does the business.
would take Wilson in a heartbeat depending they don't want silly money for him

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Stockdale 6 -- bad spill (lucky it wasn't Vydra following it up, as he did when we played them there), and distribution wasn't up to his best, mostly for hesitancy when he could have released it earlier
Bruno 8
Goldson 8 -- rock solid defender
Dunk 6 -- made some bad decisions and needless misplaced passes
Rosenior 7.5
Knockaert 6.5
Kayal 7
Stephens 6
Murphy 6
Baldock 8.5 MotM -- top display, numerous interceptions, and three quality assists
Wilson 7 -- great finish

Bong and KLL both 6s; Sidwell n/a

Well done CH for picking two swift forwards to exploit their high defensive line

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I rate Dunk highly but the facts are his defending was outstanding but his distribution including short simple passes was very poor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here