Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings v Newcastle

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That's the truth but it doesn't fit with the anti-Knockaert agenda.

This.

I have reservations regarding a number of players at this level, but he isn’t one.

He has shown a few glimpses in every game of what we saw last season. He just needs to adapt, IMO Stephens was very poor for the first quarter of the season, but has slowly come to terms pace wise. Knockaert will do the same, but needs to believe in his right foot more and learn to work with less space, easy to mark a player who is so one footed.

Workrate and defensive duties. he is vastly improved defensively from being shocking at Bournemouth away to providing excellent cover, and I believe this to be Hughton’s main requirement. Workrate wise, even when things aren’t going right he is putting in a shift.

He is petulant, but isn’t that the nature of the beast. Remains integral to our team, but would benefit from a more athletic front man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I never mentioned Leicester etc etc, simply he wasn't playing well, and this has been going on for quite a bit.

You didn't but Dale Jasper & Mo Gosfield did, and used it as a basis for their criticism. That's what BV meant as an agenda.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes - but 'the agenda' is to spread lies that :

1 - Leicester didn't offer AK another deal as they didn't rate him

Or

2 - AK stropped off from Leicester to go to Standard Liege when the truth was that it was to be near his very ill father.

Nothing wrong with not rating AK. It is the associated lies that make up 'the agenda'.

And pople wonder how the country voted for Brexit.....for some people facts are just annoying things that distract from a simple (but made up) narrative.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Agree with almost all of that - but I think Stephens is really finding his feet. Our problem at the moment (imho) - and apart from the obvious striker issue - is that neither AK nor March has great pace. Probably half a dozen (or more) times today we had opportunities to break in numbers, but ended up getting nowhere due to a lack of pace. I assume Izquierdo will start on Monday - hopefully we'll be a bit more threatening.

I've said it elsewhere but I'd like to see Izq. given a run in the team. We're crying out for more pace, it was so clear yesterday. People saying we played defensively - I don't think we did necessarily, I think we just didn't have the options/pace to break quickly, and therefore the ball ended up going backwards far too often. We played some lovely football at times but mostly in the wrong half! Frustrating game, but we definitely are playing better and keeping the ball much better again at the moment. Apart from a few missed controls, and when March inexplicably ran the ball out of play in the first half!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Ryan 9

Bong 8
Dunk 7
Duffy 7
Bruno 6

March 5
Stephens 6
Propper 7
Knockaert 5

Gross 6

Murray 5

Subs:

Hemed 4 (Not really his fault but we settled for a point when bringing him on).

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I've said it elsewhere but I'd like to see Izq. given a run in the team. We're crying out for more pace, it was so clear yesterday. People saying we played defensively - I don't think we did necessarily, I think we just didn't have the options/pace to break quickly, and therefore the ball ended up going backwards far too often. We played some lovely football at times but mostly in the wrong half! Frustrating game, but we definitely are playing better and keeping the ball much better again at the moment. Apart from a few missed controls, and when March inexplicably ran the ball out of play in the first half!

I think the two things are very interconnected. We had the ball in some promising positions, but then didn't push on. As you say, we didn't have the options to break quickly - but the impression I got was that this was mainly because the players were not willing to try that option. That is, it wasn't their lack of pace that led to the break not working out - more that they didn't really try the break in the first place. And that does give the impression that our main strategy was defensive minded.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think the two things are very interconnected. We had the ball in some promising positions, but then didn't push on. As you say, we didn't have the options to break quickly - but the impression I got was that this was mainly because the players were not willing to try that option. That is, it wasn't their lack of pace that led to the break not working out - more that they didn't really try the break in the first place. And that does give the impression that our main strategy was defensive minded.

In many instances I think you’re right, CH doesn’t want us to commit bodies in open play, only to be sucker punched on the counter (a typical PL goal). When we did do this, Liverpool ripped us apart. With our current squad, I’m with CH on this one - he’s nursed us up to New Year with a points tally beyond all our expectations. A great base to build on if we can get better forwards in January.

At other times this season, there’ve been great opportunities on the counter to create chances in open play, but Hemed, Murray and March one on one simply haven’t had the pace to match the savvy defender. Little can be done about that at the moment and only an idiot would hold a lack of pace against TH and GM.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
In many instances I think you’re right, CH doesn’t want us to commit bodies in open play, only to be sucker punched on the counter (a typical PL goal). When we did do this, Liverpool ripped us apart. With our current squad, I’m with CH on this one - he’s nursed us up to New Year with a points tally beyond all our expectations. A great base to build on if we can get better forwards in January.

At other times this season, there’ve been great opportunities on the counter to create chances in open play, but Hemed, Murray and March one on one simply haven’t had the pace to match the savvy defender. Little can be done about that at the moment and only an idiot would hold a lack of pace against TH and GM.

This has to be the most sensible post I have seen in years. CH has done wonders with the squad we have. It OK suggesting this or that, be more attacking ect ect blah blah blah....could have won here,what if and so on. Truth is we would all be pleased with our level of performances and position in the table at the start of the season. Let see if CH can save us from relegation before we pull his tactics to pieces. Who are we? We are little Brighton.....not Norwich..and we want a stable Premier League club, not a yo yo club we always have been.
What is the saying?
Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Great point, I think you're right to be fair. It was frustrating to see us seemingly settle for a point with 20 to go and Newcastle there for the taking, but then losing would have been disastrous so I can definitely see Hughton's thinking. Tomorrow is a huge one though now - three points would put us in a fantastic position going into the new year.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I never mentioned Leicester etc etc, simply he wasn't playing well, and this has been going on for quite a bit.

Leicester could see he was one dimensional at PL level...far too predictable. The one thing you cannot afford to do at this level is to over-play and Knocky cannot stop himself over-elaborating. Teams know that he will inevitably try too much and give the ball away.
He will not spectacularly turn it on at some point ( he has had over half a season to do it ) and will eventually become a bit part player, frustrating all and sundry. The PL is all about playing it quick, playing it simple and playing it accurately and Knocky can't do this. The twisting and turning works at a lower level. These defenders won't fall for it.

It’s not that surprising knockaert is struggling. Leicester obviously didn’t think he was up to it , and let him go when we went up.
Personally I believ he has been consistently unlucky and was heavily marked at the start of the season.
He is simply too talented not to spectacturly turn it on at some point.

knockeart.png

via https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/dec/30/newcastle-brighton-premier-league-match-report

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

You're right. But watching, it can get a little frustrating. Especially when we know that there are two quick lads (Jose and Baldock) on the bench, who would simply love to run onto a through ball. But then again, you couldn't really swap Hemed / Murray for one of them - otherwise we'd have no-one at all who could hold it up on their own up front. So, yes CH has the balance right - but it wouldn't be football if we didn't all discuss around the issues!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
What utter nonsense. He has mostly been excellent this season - one of our best players, in fact. If you are looking for a weak link, I hardly think it is in defence. We have the 7th best defensive record (equal with Arsenal). Bruno's overlapping runs with AK also remain a significant attacking threat, particularly in home games. Seeing as you consider a large number of our players are simply not good enough at this level, I wonder if you could explain how we are 12th in the table? We are hardly setting the EPL alight, but what did you expect? Of course some of the players find it more difficult playing against top class opposition (FWIW, I think Stephens is one who has struggled a bit), but on the whole the squad are doing just fine.

What a mindless post. First up, you seem to lump in my assessment of Bruno with our defensive record? if you actually bothered to read my post you would see I had heaped loads of praise on Bong, Ryan, Duffy and Dunk. If you still don't get that, then let me explain further - that's FOUR OUT OF FIVE of our defensive line who have been superb.

And yes I can easily explain why we are 12th - because generally we had done bloody well. Once again let me explain my post again - in absolute contrast to your statement that I believe LARGE NUMBERS of our players are simply not good enough - I highlighted TWO of our entire squad.....jeez you can lose the will to live on here sometimes.....

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
It's not an agenda anti or otherwise, Knockaert has under performed this season.

Here's hoping he can return to the player we saw last season. :thumbsup:

You say he has "under performed". Under performed against what? Your expectations? Pundits' expectations? Chris Hughton's expectations? CH seems happy enough with him. Personally, I didn't think he had his best game yesterday, yet some pundits have picked him out as our most effective attacking player.

While we're in the PL, I don't think you'll ever see the player you saw last season, because:

1) As one of the weaker teams in the division, we play with different tactics and AK generally has more defending to do
2) AK is playing against better players and so is less likely to be a match-winner

It seems that some on here expect AK to rip up defences in the way he did in the Championship last year. Realistically, that's not going to happen, so if this is the barometer of success, I expect you will remain disappointed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here