Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings v Leeds

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think I was trying to put it in the context of last night's results. 1-0s are rarely deserving of eights because to only score one we either didn't attack enough, or attacked ineffectively, so attacking players don't deserve high marks, about our defence kept a clean sheet either because our opponents didn't attack enough or effectively, if it's the former the defence haven't done enough for 8s, if it's the latter it's either inept opposition, or a stout 8s-worthy performance from the defence.

Since the defence is usually the only part of the team that can get an 8 in a 1-0 victory, I don't think it does put the responsibility on high marks on the attack. A great defensive display would get 8s, but Leeds didn't really test us. Upson is a great player, but was not really tested last not, IMO.

As for Ince, he was good, but he did give the ball away a fair bit, when he got the ball in the box seemed to lose composure/struggled with what to do and ended up running out of the box and passing the ball back, his tackling was a bit untidy at times.

8 just seems really generous to me, and there were too many (albeit small) flaws in each players' performance to warrant such generosity, again, IMO.

... looks like I've been too generous in my previous post :whisky:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
... looks like I've been too generous in my previous post :whisky:

Different people have different standards, doesn't make either right or wrong (I might be being too stingy). I like to think averaging them compensates for the differences and bring about something more balanced.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Oscar 9: brilliant substitutions

I thought the Buckley substition in particular was excellent. Poyet would probably have brought a more defensive minded player on at that point but we really worried Leeds with pace late on. It was nice to see.

On a more general level it looks like we conceed less late goals under Oscar, I'm certain this has something to do with trying to not defend so deep at the end of games.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Tomas 6.5 good keeping, awful kicking
Calde - 7
Ward - 6.5
Greer - 8 mom
Upson - 7
Ince - 6.5
Orlandi - 5.5
Stephens - 6
Rod - 7
March - 6.5
Ulloa - 6.5

Lua Lua - 8
Buckley - 7 lively, at last. Linked well with Cald

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Kusczack 8 (punched well and did everything he needed too well, solid)

Calderon 7 (got forward well and defended well, gave his all as always)
Greer 7 (defended solidly again, coped with McCormack all night)
Upson 7 (see above)
Ward 7 (see Calde)

Stephens 5 (looked slow and lost possession, showing potential though)
Ince 8 (MOTM for me, he rarely lost possession, but when he did, he chased it down like an assassin!)
Orlandi 6 (some nice footwork and link up play with Calderon in the second half, disappointing set pieces though)

March 6 (lacks experience and makes rash decisions, but looks like a great prospect)
Rodriguez 6 (looked quick and worked well, faded in second half)
Ulloa 6 (took his goal well, but his first touch often lost us possession, getting back on firm though!)

LuaLua 8 (made the difference and lifted the whole team, he's due a goal too, start him!)
Buckley 6 (nice to see him back)
Obika - (not long enough to judge)
Oscar 9 (excellent set up, formation and substitutions. A bit more luck in front of goal and we'll score 3/4)

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Tomas 6.5 good keeping, awful kicking
Calde - 7
Ward - 6.5
Greer - 8 mom
Upson - 7
Ince - 6.5
Orlandi - 5.5
Stephens - 6
Rod - 7
March - 6.5
Ulloa - 6.5

Lua Lua - 8
Buckley - 7 lively, at last. Linked well with Cald

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Tomas 7
Calde - 7
Ward - 6.5
Greer - 8
Upson - 7.5
Ince - 7
Orlandi - 5.5
Stephens - 6
Rod - 6.5
March - 7
Ulloa - 6

Lua Lua - 8
Buckley - 7 lively, at last

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Kuszczack 7. One very good save and distribution much better
Calderon 7. Good game. Played excellently after an early yellow
Greer 7. I thought this was his best game for a while
Upson 7. Solid as usual.
Ward 6. Solid but a bit wayward on his crossing
Stephens 6. Great in patches, anonlymous for others patches
Ince 7.5. Typically good game, but needs to work on learning how to win a header
Orlandi 6. Coming back nicely
Rodriguez 6. A promising start but understandably faded
March 7. Some great trickery and keeps defences on the back foot but his final delivery/decision-making in the box needs to improve (which it will in time)
Ulloa 7. His touch abandoned him for long, long, long periods but he's getting back to his best and ultimately, if he scores, who cares about the rest?

Subs:
Lua Lua 8. Attacked with menace and defended very well
Buckley 5. Still too easily knocked off the ball
Obika. N/A

Manager 9 Ballsy line-up and some positive changes when the tide was turning.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Tomas 6 Decent saves, bar a couple of punches that were somewhat wayward. Distribution still poor.
Calde - 7 Solid enough. Yellow was fair, and he did well to play so long without ever looking like he was going to get another.
Ward - 6 Not as good as against Donny, crossing was particularly poor on occasion.
Greer - 8 Seemed to be man marking McCormack for much of the match and did very well. Made some runs with the ball, almost crossing the half way line twice!
Upson - 7 Provided good cover for Greer. Mr consistent.
Ince - 8 MOTM (just). Bustling, busy, tenacious. Lost the ball a few times, but always (?) won it back. Some very nice touches. If he can find some shooting boots, he'll be the complete package.
Orlandi - 5 A poor game, if I'm honest. A shame.
Stephens - 6 Needs to up his pace, but some nice touches too. Jury's still out.
Rod - 7 Not quite as good as against Donny, but boy, he tries hard. Provided a nice outlet for Leo's flicks. Definitely something different for defenders to think about.
March - 8 An excellent performance. Slightly edgy on occasions, snatching at shots. V close call between him and Ince for MOTM.
Ulloa - 6 Touch is slightly better than recently mostly, though there was a comical moment when his first touch bounced off him by 8 yards! I think he had a slight hamstring pull when he was subbed. Decent communication with Rod - can only get better. Very well taken goal (which gave him an extra point).

Lua Lua - 7 Kept two, sometimes three defenders occupied which was important to stop them swarming us in the last 15 minutes. I'd like to see him start, but do wonder whether impact sub is actually his most important role for us....
Buckley - 6 Good to see him back. Touch was often poor, but the hunger was there.
Obika - N/A Flattened an opponent inside 30 seconds. Nice!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Kusczcak 6 - solid goalkeeping and better distribution. Seems to be catching more crosses these days instead of staying on his line. Good coaching as he is a better keeper for it.
Calderon 7 - fitted in seemlessly in defence and going forward where he was involved in some of our best moves.. The smile on his face at the end was worth paying for.
Greer 7 - after all the criticism and against the league's top scorer it was inevitable he would be vying for man of the match. Didnt put a foot wrong and his range of passing was excellent. McCormack never had a look in.
Upson 7.5- he wont have had any better seasons than this in terms of consistent performances.
Ward 7- another whose performances are so consistent. Works so well on the overlap.
Ince 7.5 - grows in confidence game by game. Keeps it admirably simple
Orlandi 6 - enjoyed the way he switched with March in.particular. Pulls a lot of strings that keeps us ticking over
Stephens 6 - struggling to assert himself and tryi g to do too much/play too many roles. Needs to simplify.
March 7 - lots of endeavour and good positional play especially when rotated into the middle. Finishing badly awry though
Rodriguez 6.5 - helping Leo with his pace. Got ahead of him a few times to chase flick-ons - something that has been badly missing
Ulloa 7 - people are banging on about his first touch but dont focus on the chest down for his first half volley to brush the post and his goal (he still had a lot to do when it came to him and the "deflection" off the defender made no difference to his placement)

Subs:
Lua Lua 7.5 - my man of the match for no other reason than he changed the game with his pace and attacking intent
Buckley 6 - Inspired substitution to keep the pressure on them and prevent us going too deep as we normally do. The result was we saw the game out comfortably. Lesson learned? Good to see him back and looking fit and fast
Obika n/a - as usual insufficient game time to judge what he might contribute should we need him.

Last edited:

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
Leeds' beige & navy away kit: 0/10.

Rubbish (I know the tools at the Macron marketing team will probably say it's "championship Gold" or something, but essentially, it's beige) kit worn by a fairly mediocre team, who got what they- and it- deserved.

Please god, let us not have Macron making our shirts, ever.

Under the lights I thought it was a salmon or peach colour. It reminded me of the shade of my toilet tissue and the way Leeds played, that seemed fitting.

Talking of toilet, I thought Obika as utter pap in the short time he was on. His first action was to give away a foul for a blatant push on halfway and thereafter he was pretty poor. He also gave away another agricultural foul midway through our half in injury time, giving Leeds the chance to swing a ball into our box as we were trying to close things out. I think he's worse than Barn Door Billy!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
PIG - 7 Dominated the box, not much else to do.
Calde - 7 Typical Calde. Yes I have stolen that description from the OP because it's PERFECT.
Ward - 6.5 Crossing was terrible. Defended well.
Greer - 8. Very, very solid
Upson - 8. Also very, very solid
Ince - 9. IMMENSE
Orlandi - 4. Awful
Stephens - 6 Average
Spanish Rodney - 6 Not as good as on Saturday
March - 7.5 Caused problems and put himself about. Just needs more composure in the attacking third
Ulloa - 6.5 Spot on again from the OP. His first touch was a pass but the finish for the goal was sublime.

Lua Lua - 9 Best impact player ever. Our very own super sub.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Kuszczak - 7 - Solid did a good job of coming for crosses although distribution was average.
Calderon - 7 - Silly booking did well 1st half, had to temper his game as Leeds pushed more forward 2nd half.
Ward - 8 - Excellent again, crossing 1st half was ropey but overall solid.
Greer - 7 - Solid bar one bad error 1st half.
Upson - 9 - Brilliant the rock that every Leeds attack broke down on MOM.
Ince - 8 - Thought he gave the ball away cheaply a few times 1st half grew into the game after the break and broke up so many breaks with his power.
Orlandi - 6 Poor by his standards, but still put in a good shift, still looks as though he is feeling his way back to me.
Stephens - 6 Got better as the game went on but needs to learn the importance of ball retention in our system.
Luis Amor Rodriguez - 6 Looked a little like he was suffering from a 2nd game so quickly after his layoff. Some nice touches and runs 1st half, potential. Ran out of steam.
March - 7 - Excellent until he ran out of steam early in the 2nd half. Needs to work on his right foot a bit and his positioning but that will come with experience.
Ulloa - 8 - Thought he did pretty well, some loose touches 1st half but we were playing a lot of tight triangles, lead the line well and with some better quality crosses might've scored more than the one.

Lua Lua 8 - One moment of quality, but as usual wasted some good opportunities by trying to come inside to often. Did occupy two and sometime three defenders who were frightened of him.
Buckley 6 - Some good flashes but looked what he was lacking in match practice.
Obika 6 - Worked hard as a defensive CF closing down etc

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
if you start with a mark for the team .
then I think if you average out your individual scores they should be the same.
1 0 at home against a good team but beneath you in the championship
with only 2 shots on target - 6.5 for the team less for the attack if you
award some 8's I think you need some 5's and 6's

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Top Kat 7 -- solid as ever, distribution better
Calde 7
Greer 8 -- three or four brilliant long balls, and can't remember a misplaced pass, had McCormack in his pocket, and wasn't bothered by their hoof ball approach to the big man
Upson 8 -- same as Greer, although fewer brilliant long balls
Ward 7.5 -- solid as ever
Ince 8.5 -- MoM, awesome, getting better with every game
Stephens 5.5 -- so so
March 7 -- very promising
Ulloa 6 -- touch was poor, apart from when it really mattered
SD*2 5.5 -- think his touch could have been better too

KLL 8.5 -- changed the game; when the opposition constantly put three players on one of ours, you know that they're scared of him
Buckley 6
Obika 5

Oscar 9: brilliant substitutions

Orlandi?

And since the other thread hasn't been merged in, I'll quote this post so it's here with the others

TK - 7 - I felt he came a bit too far for a couple of crosses but he did a sound job
Calderon - 7 - Rarely troubled. Harsh booking
Ward - 7 - Similar to Caldeton, Leeds had little threat down the flanks
Upson - 8 - McCormack didn't have a sniff
Greer - 7 - Better than recent performances
Ince - 8 - Shaded the MOM award for me. He did lose the ball needlessly but generally very composed
Stephens - 6 - Not seeing much just yet. Needs a run in the side
Orlandi - 6 - Not looking the same player we saw last season
March - 8 - Terrific. His decision making let him down a couple of times but great potential
Spanish Rod - 6 - Great workrate, but nothing quite coming off for him yet. I'd start Kaz
Ulloa - 6 - Had a first touch like a hammer at times but hit the all important winner

Lua Lua - 8 - big impact
Buckley - 6
Obika - 6

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here