Stephens - 7
Norwood - 7
Murphy - 7
Baldock - 8
Murray - 8

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I watch Sam Baldock and wonder, doesn't run direct, struggles to get any shots off with power or accuracy, is second to the ball, doesn't have great control, is easily pushed of the ball and runs around a lot ineffectually. With a decent partner for Murray we would be away at the top now. Its an opinion and I really want him to score, but for me he doesn't cut it. I hear he was Sky MOM, what for, just can't see it.

Agree. Sam is a great guy and works his nuts off. But He's just not dangerous enough as a striker.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
You must be missing at least a handful of these every game.

I would not put him down as having a poor touch. Baldock has been outstanding this year. especially with his off the ball running. Some people seem to over look certain things in football.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I would not put him down as having a poor touch. Baldock has been outstanding this year. especially with his off the ball running. Some people seem to over look certain things in football.

Yes I agree. I think his running off the ball has been really good this year but you're overlooking his poor touch.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stockdale - 6
Bruno - 7
Duffy - 8
Dunk - 8
Pocognoli - 7
Knockaert - 6
Stephens - 7
Norwood - 6
Murphy - 7
Baldock - 8 MoM
Murray - 7

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Yes I agree. I think his running off the ball has been really good this year but you're overlooking his poor touch.

I don't think he holds the ball up well(like murray does) but he is not that sort of striker. Defiantly don't think his touch is poor tho. At times his first touch has been sublime

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Stockdale 7 --
Bruno 7 --
Duffy 7 --
Dunk 8 --
Pocognoli 8
Knockaert 7 --
Stephens 7 -
Norwood 7 --
Murphy 7 --
Baldock 9 -- MOM unselfish running for muzza all night long
Murray 8 --

March 7 -- Probably get a chance tuesday if Jimmy is out .
Hemed 7 -- the penalty apart , a world class turn that completely dumbfounded bartley , great to see him score again .

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I don't think he holds the ball up well(like murray does) but he is not that sort of striker. Defiantly don't think his touch is poor tho. At times his first touch has been sublime

What I'm talking about is the ball into feet which should be a core skill of his but invariably gets away from him.

Sometimes he looks out of his depth like Fulham first half when it felt like he lost the ball EVERY time. Then second half he was the difference in opening them up.

I'm being critical because the rest of his game has improved and I like him on the team sheet.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
What I'm talking about is the ball into feet which should be a core skill of his but invariably gets away from him.

Sometimes he looks out of his depth like Fulham first half when it felt like he lost the ball EVERY time. Then second half he was the difference in opening them up.

I'm being critical because the rest of his game has improved and I like him on the team sheet.

I had to miss the Fulham game as was on holiday so maybe your right. Still could be worse, could have CMS up top still.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Agree. Sam is a great guy and works his nuts off. But It doesn't disguise the fact that he is not Up to this level. I know he had that good run but judging his Albion career as a whole, He's just not dangerous enough as a striker.

Politely disagree. "doesn't run direct, struggles to get any shots off with power or accuracy, is second to the ball, doesn't have great control, is easily pushed of the ball and runs around a lot ineffectually." The first one is slightly confusing, if it was meant he doesn't run direct at defences with the ball, then I would argue that isn't really his job, his role is to play on the shoulder and get in behind. Conversely if it was meant he doesn't run in behind then that is definitely not the case, he does it very well and stretches defences. As for shots, last night he had a good effort (With plenty of power) blocked in the first half, and you look at his goal at Fulham in the previous game. Agreed I don't think he shoots as much as Murray but I don't see it as an issue. I'd also argue his control is good, perhaps not great, but he is no liability that kills attacks with his touches. I will agree that his physicality is not his best trait, he doesn't have all the perfect physical traits-but he has a few over say, Murray such as pace and agility.

Mainly, it's important to recognise your main point, which is he isn't dangerous enough as a striker. But I believe if you look at the whole picture, and although it is vital he chips in with goals (More than he has previously achieved imo), Murray is the goalscorer. Murray is our 20-25 man, Sam the supplier who should add 8-12 to that. But interestingly, I'm sure you can agree that despite his lack of form of recent, Knockaert is our main attacking threat. He's scored a good tally of 6 goals thus far. Sam Baldock, the headless chicken who doesn't contribute anything let alone goals, also has six. Baldock also has 4 assists this season, which surprisingly is 4 more than Antony.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
We should have scored a few more and on occasions our pedestrian approach to the game playing against ten men was very frustrating. Leeds however never really looked like scoring.

Stockdale 7. Did what was required, which was not much.
Bruno 7.
Dunk 8
Duffy 8
Pocognoli 8. Did very well considering his lack of games. An able back-up (or even replacement?) for Bong. Hopefully will serve to silence all those on here who want Rosenior (a right-footer) to be LB cover.
Stephens 7. Best game for a while.
Norwood 7. Impressed considering how little game time he has had. Very good set pieces.
Murphy 7.
Knockaert 6. Still not back to his best. Tends to over-complicate and hold on to the ball too long. Instead of trying to beat yet another player, just pass or cross the bloody ball!
Baldock 8. Very good all-round performance.
Murray 8. Consistently excellent, and a great penalty.

Subs:
Hemed 7. Good substitution with Murray on a yellow. Did well and a good penalty.
March 6. Quiet, but good to see him getting some game time.
Skalak N/A

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Stockdale 7 - had literally nothing to do, so have to award a standard mark

Bruno 7
Dunk 8
Duffy 7
Pocognoli 8

Norwood 7
Stephens 7
Murphy 8
Knockaert 7

Murray 7
Baldock 7

No real outstanding man of the match performer but special word for Pocognoli who made an accomplished debut and Dunk who was superb again.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My take on the game.

Started off a bit end to end with even possession but whilst we looked threatening, they didn't.

Sending off was a no brainer. Second penalty a bit light but they are being given.

Stockdale. Never tested but when he came for the ball did exactly what was required and on several occasions looked to release Baldock quickly.
Bruno. Nothing sensational but did what he needed. Fluffed one cross in the second half when we had numbers in the box which was disappointing (didn't get it over the 1st defender).
Pocognoli. Very good, more than adequate replacement for Bong and may well challenge for that position when Bong back (on last night I would give Pocognoli a run in the side).
Duffy. Immense in defence, unlucky not to score. Had one header straight at the keeper and couldn't reach the free kick from Norwood.
Dunk. Immenser (if it isn't, it should be a word). Vital we go up otherwise he's off and deservedly so. Can't fault his performance and attitude at all. If he's here next year he should be captain.MOM.
Stephens. Much improved on last couple of games. In my view he is the link that makes the team function. Reminds me of Nobby.
Norwood. For me, yet again disappointing based on his pedigree. In the first half he more than any other Brighton player lost possession. His free kicks were almost good. First was too high for Duffy to get anything on it. I disagree with the analysis of Machiavelli of the kicks. The way they were taken they weren't not curling into the far side of the goal however from that position, for me, the ball should be curled in, aiming to pitch behind the defence just on the edge of the 6yrd line. It is there for a striker to get a touch or curl into the far corner. The keeper will also be in two minds which way to go because of the striker coming in. There are plenty of examples where a goal has been scored without a touch after the free kick has been taken. If the intention is to find Dunk or Duffy then the cross has to be a height they can get to it!
Knockhaert. Very almost back to his tantalising best which was good to see. Took some heavy hits which the ref seemed to ignore. Would have liked to have seen him on the left more when March came on so he force mistakes from Ayling who was on a booking.
Murphy. I think he flatters to deceive. He is very good on the ball but doesn't use those skills as much as he should. Ayling was on a booking from very early on and Murphy should have been running at him as much as he could. He did have a very good run but once again finished with a lame shot straight at the keeper, something he is good at (his only league goal this year was deflected!). I think his problem is that he doesn't realize how good a winger he could actually be using the skills he has.
Murray. Good performance, confident penalty. Should have done better with the free header at the far post in the first half.
Baldock. Mr Marmite! I think his first touch is good but that he then doesn't make the most of it. Too easily muscled of the ball. For me, he is on the cusp of making a significant contribution. We need someone better January.
Subs.
March. As laconic as ever. Not really enough time to contribute but he had them on edge. He gave away silly free kick when bursting into box (think he pulled the player back) when pressure might have led to a defensive mistake.
Hemed. Looked good when he came on and would like to have seen him have more time. Deserved a goal. In view of Murray's goal famine away, possible worth a start for away games!
Skalak. No on long enough.

Overall, a professional performance by the team. Leeds never threatened, not even in the first 20 minutes, but if they had I'm sure we could have stepped up a gear. Another clean sheet, GD increased, gap between us and 3rd now 8pts. Job done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here