Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings v Cardiff home

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Disappointing result but very encouraging performance.

Not sure about the raving about Kayal. I thought he went missing for large parts of the game and was not very influential.

Stephens on the other hand ran the whole game. He goes from strength to strength.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought we were poor overall (albeit better in the second half, for a change), but fortunately Cardiff were much much worse.
So why have you rated everyone (apart from the substitutes) six or above? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought we were poor overall (albeit better in the second half, for a change), but fortunately Cardiff were much much worse

As GT49er points out, you say we were poor but you've awarded everyone in the team an above average performance.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Stockdale - 6 - Good distribution, nothing he could have done about the goal, otherwise not a save to make
Bruno - 7 - Think he was the missing one when they scored but otherwise again did some great stuff
Greer - 7.5 - (8.5 if he'd have scored), yet again solid at the back and was pressing upfield time and again with real purpose
Dunk - 7 - decent. Little to choose between him and Honeymonster
Bong - 7 - decent
Rosenior - 7 - decent
Kayal - 7.5 - better game after a couple not so good
Stephens - 8.5 - MOM for me
March - 7 - Very poor for 30 mins, blinding second half
Hemed - 5 - Off day, did little of note
Baldock - 8- excellent game, some great touches, worked fantastically hard, knackered when he was subbed

Zamora - 5.5 - struggled to make much of an impact but used the ball intelligently
Elvis - 5 - bit anonymous, caught way offside too easily

Agree with theses marks apart from Kayal. Seems I am only one who thought this was his worse game for us, mind you shows what a high standard he performs to I would only give him 6.5 today

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Aren't these threads a little pointless at the moment.

Give everyone 7.5 and move onto the next game.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I thought we played well and dominated Cardiff pretty much throughout.

Stockdale - 6 not much chance for the goal otherwise untested.
Bruno - 7.5 caught cold for the first goal but was superb otherwise. 3 brilliantly timed challenges when 1 on 1
Bong - 6 pretty quiet today
Greer - 7 will be playing that miss over and over again in his head
Dunk - 9 motm - oozes class, he's a Premier League player without doubt
Stephens - 8.5 fantastic finish and strong throughout
Kayal - 8 back to his best today
Rosenior - 8 really steady influence on the team, unlucky with a goal bound shot which was blocked.
March - 7.5 first 30 minutes dreadful but he got more and more confidence through the game and had Fabio in disarray
Hemed - 6.5 not great today
Baldock - 6.5 willing worker unfortunate not to score

Zamora - 6 weakest performance yet, international break comes at a good time for him
Manu - 5.5 not really in the game
chelsea might want Dunk for £20million even City could do with him but he would be silly to go to Fullham or Newcatsle for peanuts .

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Stockdale - 6 - Good distribution, nothing he could have done about the goal, otherwise not a save to make
Bruno - 7 - Think he was the missing one when they scored but otherwise again did some great stuff
Greer - 7.5 - (8.5 if he'd have scored), yet again solid at the back and was pressing upfield time and again with real purpose
Bong - 7 - decent
Rosenior - 7 - decent
Baldock - 8- excellent game, some great touches, worked fantastically hard, knackered when he was subbed

Zamora - 5.5 - struggled to make much of an impact but used the ball intelligently

Excellent post, genuine comments by someone who saw the game as it happened,

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Bong - 7 - decent
Rosenior - 7 - decent

Spot on but I think Uwe is much better thanDunk. It's just that you don't notice Uwe quite so much because his anticipation and positioning is excellent

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Think OP is as he suggests not in tune with the rest of us. We played very well, with some technically excellent moves and skill, and some great tackling. Cardiff fans' forum admit they could have been 4-0 down at HT. Russell Slade saide after game: "Brighton are a very good and very strong side and they deserve to be top.".

TBH, only thing not to like was the score.

Which is weird, because they had scored before we had our first serious chance, so we wouldn't have gone in 4-0 up even if we shot away from where the keeper was for some of our chances.

Which he hasn't done though has he. The killer ball has gone inside him and that's my beef with Greer's positioning.A few yards closer to the goal and Greer cuts off the ball across the face of the goal which is the most dangerous for us.

But if he's a couple of yards closer to the goal, he is vulnerable to the ball being played behind him to where the Cardiff player was (he ran forward to meet the cross).

So why have you rated everyone (apart from the substitutes) six or above? Makes no sense whatsoever.

As GT49er points out, you say we were poor but you've awarded everyone in the team an above average performance.

It's like last week's discussion about whether 5 or 6 is average never happened*. Taking 6 as average that most people agreed with last week, I've given 7 (out of twelve players rated) an average mark or below. One of the players getting above average was a goalkeeper who can't really be judged the same as the outfield players. Three of the remaining four were barely above average. And the last one was the man of the match.

The average of my marks is 6.33, fractionally over average.

My previous squad averages:
Forest - 7.10
Blackburn - 7.27
Hull - 7.46
Rotherham - 7.10

In comparison to previous games this season, a barely above average performance is poor, or at least under par for this season.

EDIT: * = It didn't, it was the week before, after the wolves game. http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?327197-Player-ratings-Wolves-(A)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Spot on but I think Uwe is much better thanDunk. It's just that you don't notice Uwe quite so much because his anticipation and positioning is excellent

I couldn't disagree more Dunk is head and shoulders above our other centre halves although all 3 are fine players in their own right. I watched Dunk closely yesterday he didn't make one error and read the game brilliantly. His goal mouth clearance has preserved our unbeaten record.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Can't believe some of the negative ratings here.

We did everything but smack all our chances in.

March in the second half was a revelation. Stephens was a cut above. The defence, barring that first five minutes, was impenetrable. We looked mustard.

Had we converted even 25% of the chances we'd created, we'd have been comfortable winners.

As a performance that was near enough everything I want to see from my team. We just lacked the goals

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
He is vulnerable to the ball being played behind him to where the Cardiff player was (he ran forward to meet the cross).

You must protect the ball reaching the area between the goal line and the 6 yard box because that is where a shot is virtually unstoppable. A shot from further out has far more chance of being saved or the cross intercepted.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
Thier goal was an excellent counter attack .Full backs get forward and cannot run faster
than a 40 yard super ball .The cross was first rate too.Sometimes you have to say good goal
not bad defending.
That was pretty much all Cardiff had to offer a team which will be sniffing around the playoffs.
WE were very good on Saturday.Yes will lacked a real class in their penelty box.
Stockdale 7
Bruno 9 sublime
Greer 7
Dunk 8
bong7
Stephens 8
Kayla 7
roseignor 7
March 7 (5 first half 9 second lovely to see him on the left hand side)
Baldock 6
Hamed 5

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Stockdale 7
Bruno 8.5
Greer 7
Dunk 8
Bong 6.5
Stephens 8.5
Kayal 6.5
Rosenior 7
March 8
Baldock 4 Decent movement throughout, but wasted SOOOOO many chances. His finishing cost us 2 points.
Hemed 5

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Stockdale 6 - not because he played badly but because he had nothing to do all day.
Bruno 8 - brilliant. A couple of filthy-good tackles and the man controls the ball like it's a beanbag.
Greer 7 - tempted to give him a 3 for missing from a yard out - but he dealt with the useless lump that is Jones with ease.
Dunk 7 - brought in for the added pace against Mason - was calm in possession and did his job well.
Bong 6.5 - a bit quiet but generally solid.
Stephens 9 MOM - ludicrous display. So, so good. Get him a new six year deal, STAT.
Kayal 6.5 - one of his quieter games but can't remember him doing much wrong either.
March 5/9 - that's a first half hour and rest of the match rating. Brilliant in the 2nd half especially - will keep the shirt.
Rosenior 7 - pacey, helped Bruno out defensively, and put in some decent crosses - I like him.
Hemed 6 - quiet.
Baldock 6 - squandered numerous (fairly easy) chances but his all round game is excellent. I feel sorry for him to an extent - we look half a side without him.

Manu NA - don't remember him touching it. Looks disinterested but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt while he settles in.
Zamora 6 - didn't do much but was tidy in possession.

Ref - BOTTLE JOB. Fabio should have gone and the ref knew it. You can't signal advantage then not bring it back when we lose it a second later. and how keepers are allowed to get away with the time wasting they do is infuriating. We could still be waiting for the keeper to take a goal kick today and I'm not convinced the ref would've got his yellow out yet.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Thought it was a good performance.

Stockdale 8. Distribution was much better
Bruno 7. Good but caught out for the goal
Greer 5. Played pretty well but his part in crucial moments cost us.
Dunk 7
Bong 7
Stephens 9 Sublime :)
Kayal 6 Quiet
Rosenior 7
March 6 Better but needs to find someone with his crosses. Still can't get over the incident where he should have crossed 6 times but feigned each time ending up with a superb chance going begging.
Baldock 6. Start finishing and you'll be a good player
Hemed 5. Either doesn't look fit or is pretty average

Manu 5
Zamora 5

Our striker situation needs sorting, our big weakness.

It took us 10 minutes to get going and by then we were 1-0 down. Needs sorting

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Your lack of love for Baldcock does make me chuckle.

As I've commented elsewhere, I'm impressed with his movement and general play, but his finishing is sadly lacking.

From the BBC live text:

6:50 Attempt saved. Sam Baldock (Brighton and Hove Albion) right footed shot from the right side of the box is saved in the top centre of the goal. Assisted by Tommer Hemed with a headed pass.
[volley from about 6 yards, straight at the keeper]

22:10 Attempt saved. Sam Baldock (Brighton and Hove Albion) right footed shot from the centre of the box is saved in the bottom right corner. Assisted by Dale Stephens.
[bit unlucky this one - great first touch - reasonable shot on the turn, but straight at Moore]

24:05 Attempt saved. Sam Baldock (Brighton and Hove Albion) right footed shot from very close range is saved in the bottom right corner. Assisted by Beram Kayal with a cross.
[Good save this - no fault on Baldock's part]

30:24 Attempt blocked. Sam Baldock (Brighton and Hove Albion) right footed shot from the centre of the box is blocked. Assisted by Solly March with a cross.

52:50 Attempt missed. Sam Baldock (Brighton and Hove Albion) header from the centre of the box is close, but misses to the left. Assisted by Liam Rosenior with a cross.
[free header from 10 yards. Got to do better]

57:40 Attempt missed. Sam Baldock (Brighton and Hove Albion) right footed shot from very close range misses to the right. Assisted by Solly March with a cross.
[worst of the lot - pretty straightforward side foot finish]

Its not like he's missing SITTERS, but he's passing up a LOT of opportunities, and its costing us.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Stockdale - 6
Bruno - 9 (MOM)
Bong - 7
Dunk - 7.5
Greer - 7
Kayal - 7
Stephens - 8.5
Rosenoir - 7
March - 7.5
Hemed - 6
Baldock - 6

Zamora - Too little time
Manu - too little time

Bruno was outstanding IMO as was Stephens. For a 1-1 draw that we should clearly have won it was a terrific game.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You must protect the ball reaching the area between the goal line and the 6 yard box because that is where a shot is virtually unstoppable. A shot from further out has far more chance of being saved or the cross intercepted.

Defenders should be doing their best to cut out crosses wherever they are. Balls across the six yard box can be cut out by a keeper just as easily as a cross pulled back to the middle/edge of the area can be missed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here