Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings v Brum

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
PIG -6- think he has been taking kicking advice from casper.
calde -6- did well but backed off too often
Greer -9- MOTM Brilliant captains performance
Upson -7- unlucky not to score
Ward -8- Looks like a great addition to the squad. Left back solved
Andrews-7- Steady performance does his job with minimal fuss
Crofts -9- Was everywhere today. Got stuck in and took his goal well.
Kemy -6- Nice ball through for the goal but other than that was quiet.
Buckley -5- rarely threatened and offside on numerous occasions
Dave -7- Was end to end performance but set pieces were poor.
Ulloa -8- Strong performance against their tall CB. Worked hard.

JFC -6- has good feet and distrubuted ball well
Barnes -7- worked so hard. And great in the air but silly booking at end
Ince -6- steadied game for us in final minutes.

Crofts was woeful imo, took hes goal well but hes distribution was bad

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I thought Crofts was poor but took goal superbly, just like he used to for us and it was great to see him celebrating another for us. Ulloa held the ball up superbly throughout and I would have to give him MoM, it took 2 long years and a £2million but we have finally replaced Murray.

The fans - 10, best atmosphere at a Brighton game in quite a while in my opinion, noise throughout

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Is Buckley being played too narrow? Would he benefit from playing in a true 4-3-3 as a wide right maybe?

He would benefit from not having Dave on his toes. Dave would benefit too. We should be playing Dave left, Agustien right but as narrow as he wants to get closer to Ulloa and give Buckley the space to roast his left back.

Simple, isn't it?

Fans sounded incredible on the radio today, all game long. Fantastic effort by all concerned. :thumbsup:

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Fans sounded incredible on the radio today, all game long. Fantastic effort by all concerned. :thumbsup:

although we were excellent, it helped that the Brummies only sang ONCE and that was late in the 2nd half...they were SHOCKINGLY bad!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Augustine had a good 1st half, nowhere near as good in the 2nd. Ulloa was immense. Buckley didn't look like he was enjoying himself and didn't seem that interested to me. Barnes did a good job of closing down defenders and the keeper to stop anything but a hoofed build up when Brum were chasing the game late on, silly booking. PIG looked more confident, we and he got a bit of luck with the two shots that hit the crossbar in a 10 min purple patch for Brum. Played them off the park for quite a bit of the 1st half. Oscar looked ecstatic when he came over at the end, arms pumping.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Buckley didn't look like he was enjoying himself and didn't seem that interested to me. Barnes did a good job of closing down defenders and the keeper to stop anything but a hoofed build up when Brum were chasing the game late on, silly booking

I reckon Buckley is carrying a hernia or some other niggly injury, because the difference to how he has played in the past is night and day in terms of his speed in particular, unless he really is just uninterested, maybe there's been some prem interest? Agree with Barnes actually which I forgot to mention, even though I did have a moan when the numbers went up on the board, I thought he did what he was put on the pitch to do very well, but let himself down with the kind of unnecessary yellow that is indicative of his attitude.

Mr-N

Mar 31, 2012
Ulloa's holding up of the ball got him out of some tricky scenarios and into some good ones.

Andrews and JFC also impressed me.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Don't think there will be much expectation at St. Andrews this season. I thought they were abysmal, relegation candidates on that showing.

Thought we were the better team for most of the game and especially the first half. Once we get everyone fit and Orlandi and Bridcutt back things are looking really good.

This was my first game this season and After all the doom and gloom on here over the last couple of weeks I was expecting a lot worse today !!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Kuszczak - 7
Calderon - 6
Greer - 9 MoM
Upson - 8
Ward - 7
Lopez - 7
Andrews - 9
Agustein - 8
Crofts - 7
Buckley - 5
Ulloa - 7

Barnes 6
JFC 6
Ince 6

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
A good performance from us today and we deserved our win, albeit against a weak Birmingham side.

Main pluses:

- Andrews looked very accomplished in central midfield, possibly even better than Bridcutt. Virtually never gave the ball away, made some fantastic passes in the first half and some crucial interventions

- Ulloa. Quite simply we have a real star on our hands. He was a constant threat and could easily have scored, but also did a great defensive job at se pieces, held the ball up well - a warhorse up front

- Kemi Agustien - in the first half he looked fantastic. Beat his man with ease, played some fantastic passes, tackled, etc etc. faded in the second. If we can get him properly fit, we have a real player on our hands.

- back four - looked much more sold. Ward looked good at left back. Greer had his best game of the season and looked class throughout

Overall, we rode our luck at times but we also played some fantastic passing football. I think Oscar's influence is starting to come through and we will do OK - but perhaps not quite as well as last year.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Kuszczak 7
Calderon 7
Greer 8
Upson 7
Ward 8
Lopez 7
Andrews 8
Agustein 8
Crofts 7
Buckley 7
Ulloa 9 (MOM)

subs

Barnes 7
Forster-Caskey 7
Ince 7

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Augustine had a good 1st half, nowhere near as good in the 2nd. Ulloa was immense. Buckley didn't look like he was enjoying himself and didn't seem that interested to me. Barnes did a good job of closing down defenders and the keeper to stop anything but a hoofed build up when Brum were chasing the game late on, silly booking. PIG looked more confident, we and he got a bit of luck with the two shots that hit the crossbar in a 10 min purple patch for Brum. Played them off the park for quite a bit of the 1st half. Oscar looked ecstatic when he came over at the end, arms pumping.

I still think Agustein and Lopez are finding their feet from a fitness perspective.

Oscar has clearly told the front 3 to rotate, the trouble is, this does not work for Buckley as he is too light, when he is playing down the centre...... Form wise he is the weakest IMO at the moment, I hope he comes good soon.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
On the way back to the station was amused to overhear a couple of Brummie fans saying it would be good to visit some new grounds next year - Stevenage and Crawley were mentioned!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I still think Agustein and Lopez are finding their feet from a fitness perspective.

Oscar has clearly told the front 3 to rotate, the trouble is, this does not work for Buckley as he is too light, when he is playing down the centre...... Form wise he is the weakest IMO at the moment, I hope he comes good soon.

Given the player changes, match fitness issues, tweeking of style and the Gus hangover, I was very happy with today, we rode our luck with the shots off the bar but nobody can say we weren't due a bit of luck, it's the first we've had. I believe we are in for a really exciting season, there is no doubt that Oscar was very brave today. We definitely went there looking for a win. Did I read we haven't won at Brum since the early nineties? I am VERY enthusiastic again, hope it lasts.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Kuczcak 6 - got lucky but everything actually un his reach he handled faultlessly and so happy at the end he clearly remembered last year
Calderon 6 - worked hard and let no one down but as ever better going forward
Greer 8 - best performance for some time
Upson 8 - back to form
Ward 7 - good positionally. Defended well and will contribute more
Andrews 7 - almost always in the right place and will become very influential
Croft 6 - nearly there. Good first half but lost position under pressure in the second half. Well taken goal as a reminder of why Norwich took him from us
Agustien 7 - looked the real box to box beast we have wanted but still not fit so tired against a stiff wind in the second half and was feeling his calf before coming off
Ulloa 7 - unlucky not to score but also missed a sitter. Hold up play is excellent but he does go down a little too easily sometimes - needs to work with Barnes to develop the ability to win free kicks when doing so. Looked happier when Barnes came on and he was less isolated than for much of the match.
Buckley 6 - out of form and position. Those who touted him as a second striker last year look to be wrong. His skill and his best contributions today were when he was afforded width
David 6 - not fully fit.and a vwry crowded midfield left him little time or space to create.
subs:
JFC 6 involved in the goal move. Always looked to move the ball forward
Barnes - 7 worked his socks off to cover gaps, tackle back and pressurise at both ends.
Ince 6 - like watching Bambi (ever so slightly unco-ordinated) but with perseverence and experience will blossom playing in front of the defence. I worry when he drops too deep.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Given the player changes, match fitness issues, tweeking of style and the Gus hangover, I was very happy with today, we rode our luck with the shots off the bar but nobody can say we weren't due a bit of luck, it's the first we've had. I believe we are in for a really exciting season, there is no doubt that Oscar was very brave today. We definitely went there looking for a win. Did I read we haven't won at Brum since the early nineties? I am VERY enthusiastic again, hope it lasts.

Sure. We seem faster under Oscar in terms of moving the ball. The first half was nothing short of magnificent. Possession wise must've been 65-35..... The move where Buckley(?)missed must have been about 20-30 uninterrupted passes.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Kuszczak - 7 Very solid when coming to collect crosses. Didn't have anything else to do.

Ward - 7 Very solid. Looked to fit in very well and looked very good going forward.
Upson - 7 Solid.
Greer - 8.5 The best performance from Greer that I can remember for a very long time.
Calderon - 7 Reasonably solid. Good going forward but thought he was caught out of position a few times.

Andrews - 9 Different class. Controlled the midfield. Spraying pinpoint passes all over the place. Very good tackling. Looks to be a quality signing.
Agustien - 7.5 Same as above but not quite as good and faded in the second half. Still quality though.
Crofts - 5 He was woeful today in my opinion. Looked lazy, hardly tackled and constantly out of position. Would have been a 3 but he gets 2 extra points for taking his goal well.

Buckley - 1 Abysmal. Not sure what's happened to him. Didn't do a thing. Looked very slow and uninterested.
David - 7 Was playing very well. Looked strong in midfield and played some very good passes.
Ulloa - 9.5 MOM No words to describe his performance today. Just different class to anyone on the pitch.

BHA96

May 4, 2009
HH
Pig-8.5 Thought he had a top game, handling was brilliant.

Calderon-7 decent going forward, looked fairly solid defensively
GG- 8 Solid, done the job he needed too
Upson 8.5 His usual top class performance, the difference at the back
Ward-7 Looked good going forward, didn't have much to do defensively till Burke game

Andrews- 8 his performance slightly overhyped by some on here but done his job well defensively and passed the ball well
Agustein- 7.5 getting better game by game, unlucky not to score in the 1st, always try's his best, loses the ball a few times, Solid.
Crofts 6.5- Lovely finish for the goal, excluding that didn't do much with the ball other than give it away
Dave-6.5 doesn't look half the player without Orlandi, Didn't seem to have a set position, made some good passes in the middle

Buckley-6.5 Needs to be dropped, just doesn't look up to it, one good cross throughout the whole game
Ulloa 8.5 MOM hope he stays fit throughout the whole season, didn't score but held the ball well and went up for every header he could

Barnes 6.5 Really tried, not given enough of a chance to do much but worked well with Ulloa to run down clock
JFC 7 pleased he got some game time, Made some good passes, good on the ball and believe he had hand in the goal
Ince not on for long enough, added some height at the back when we were holding on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here