Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings - The Conservative Party

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have, on a number of occasions, noted derogatory comments from you on here aimed at anyone who doesn't share your political view, so am a little bemused by your patronising response in this instance!

Oh come on. Tubby Mc-Fat was inviting (possibly wanting) a response like mine with that type of post.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Day be day they are becoming more and more arrogant, obnoxious and incompetent. The problem of course is that Her Majesty's opposition are no better.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Are you serious ?? What a silly statement, He'd have a job not to be, there's only been one since.

Gorbals Mick? The expenses king? Wouldn't be difficult (although I do think Bercow has been a particularly good Speaker)

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Oh come on. Tubby Mc-Fat was inviting (possibly wanting) a response like mine with that type of post.
Yes, because everyone takes so much notice of you, because you are that important. :tosser:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, because everyone takes so much notice of you, because you are that important. :tosser:

Well, both you and Chimneys have.

PS what you have written doesn't really make any sense in the context of the post.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Cameron - 3 - A bit too lightweight
Osborne - 2 - Terrible own-goal over tax credits drops him a point
May - 4 - Always likely to upset the stewards
Hunt - 0 - Lost the confidence of the players, fans and medical staff
Hammond - 3 - Off on international duty
Fallon - 4 - We used to play in Navy and dominate. Where's that Navy gone ?
Greening - -1 - how did this woman become an MP ?
Gove - 2 - Came on as sub for Graying (0) at half time but failed to plug the dreadful Court Charges debacle
Ian & Duncan Smith - 0/0 - Some horrible, career-ending tackles on the poor from the brothers. Should have had red cards long ago.
Morgan - 2 - Supposed to look after player development but not well liked according to my source at the academy.

Manager - Bercow - 7 - runs a tight ship, best leader since Boothroyd

Splendid post. I'm thinking that Osborne has his head turned towards the riches of a higher league. After all, stealing tax credits, whilst giving the richest 6% a huge relief on inheritance tax, is surely an indication he's not a happy player in the common folk's club.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
It's taken a mere six months to turn everyone who gets tax credits, Juniour Doctors, and most of the PCCs against them...even the Tory ones! Outstanding work by the posh boys.

Oh, and the renegotiation on the EU is in the toilet so we will be out of that too. Then the porridge will vote to leave the UK...fabulous stuff Dave.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Splendid post. I'm thinking that Osborne has his head turned towards the riches of a higher league. After all, stealing tax credits, whilst giving the richest 6% a huge relief on inheritance tax, is surely an indication he's not a happy player in the common folk's club.

You make me want stamp my feet in temper and frustration, over and over again! Just like a spoilt child. I must be such a looser!??

Why? Why? Why? - Have my sensational wife and I never, never, NEVER received a PENNY in Tax Credits or any other state benefit in all the 50 years we've been married. Tell a lie! Just remembered!! - In the 70's we used to get 17/6d family allowance.

Is it too late? - I want some of the BIG money that's knocking arround. Someone please tell me what I have to do to get - say?? - 5 grand a year. I believe that's quite a modest and aspirational sum.

Look! - Here's a bit of my background for you to work on -

Left Pelham Fawcett in 1959 aged 15 (Had previously failed my 11 plus). Passed clerical training exam for British Rail. Became the clerk (junior) at London Road Station Brighton on a salary of £195. (No, no, no - not a day!!....... a year! (£3.17.4 per week)). Gave my single parent mum £2 per week. (I'll tell you about my dad another time - big story!) Paid Tax. Learned book-keeping and other fabulously useful skills. Got promoted! Got my girlfriend "in the family way". Had the obligitory "shotgun wedding". Lived with my mum in her 7 Dials flat. Had another child shortly. Found our own flat. Started working all hours. Shift work. Unsocial hours. Voted for Harold (Wilson). Applied to Brighton housing for accommodation. Could'nt get on the list! Worked, worked, worked!!! etc. etc. etc...... You get the drift.........

Many years later - created our own little business. Now still working at 71 - collecting state pension - but still working all hours god made - still paying income tax (now 56 years unbroken), VAT, business rates - employing a few people - still contributing - still spending - still able to look my 4 fabulous, smart, successful grandaughters in the eye! (I just couldn't cheat on those darlings!)

So where have I gone wrong? How can I get aboard the gravy train? Where have I made my mistake? I believe, after all these years, I deserve something for nothing. Don't I??

I need some advice - before it's to late.

Oh! And the Tories? Their scoring high in perhaps the most competitive world league in history.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You make me want stamp my feet in temper and frustration, over and over again! Just like a spoilt child. I must be such a looser!??

Why? Why? Why? - Have my sensational wife and I never, never, NEVER received a PENNY in Tax Credits or any other state benefit in all the 50 years we've been married. Tell a lie! Just remembered!! - In the 70's we used to get 17/6d family allowance.

Is it too late? - I want some of the BIG money that's knocking arround. Someone please tell me what I have to do to get - say?? - 5 grand a year. I believe that's quite a modest and aspirational sum.

Left Pelham Fawcett in 1959 aged 15 (Had previously failed my 11 plus). Passed clerical training exam for British Rail. Became the clerk (junior) at London Road Station Brighton on a salary of £195. (No, no, no - not a day!!....... a year! (£3.17.4 per week)). Gave my single parent mum £2 per week. (I'll tell you about my dad another time - big story!) Paid Tax. Learned book-keeping and other fabulously useful skills. Got promoted! Got my girlfriend "in the family way". Had the obligitory "shotgun wedding". Lived with my mum in her 7 Dials flat. Had another child shortly. Found our own flat. Started working all hours. Shift work. Unsocial hours. Voted for Harold (Wilson). Applied to Brighton housing for accommodation. Could'nt get on the list! Worked, worked, worked!!! etc. etc. etc...... You get the drift.........

Many years later - created our own little business. Now still working at 71 - collecting state pension - but still working all hours god made - still paying income tax (now 56 years unbroken), VAT, business rates - employing a few people - still contributing - still spending - still able to look my 4 fabulous, smart, successful grandaughters in the eye! (I just couldn't cheat on those darlings!)

So where have I gone wrong? How can I get aboard the gravy train? Where have I made my mistake? I believe, after all these years, I deserve something for nothing. Don't I??

Oh! And the Tories? Their scoring high in perhaps the most competitive world league in history.

Well, it's difficult to respond to someone who has kindly taken so much time to explain their situation. But I must keep it brief.

I'm going to pick out your phrase 'gravy train'. Now, all of us 'hard working people' (great politically appealing phrase) have a right to feel animosity towards freeloaders. But tax credits are often essential for the people the phrase describes.

Without tax credits our cleaners, shop workers and much maligned skivys of society would struggle against the ever increasing costs of such things as rent (the economically elastic honey of the landowners) and other rising costs.

In a society where hard work was properly rewarded, essential facilities of existence were properly nationalised or at least regulated (housing for example) we wouldn't need to worry about these hard working freeloaders stealing from the treasury coffers.

Would there be more money to hand back to the top end of the market though ? so that when Daddy dies Imogen can inherit the whole of the shire without worrying about the peasants stealing her booty.

Last edited:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

This is an utter disgrace that you have been working all these years and providing for your family. How dare you, when there are so many benefits to which you would be entitled, had you chosen another route. I just can't fathom out some folk.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

This is outrageous. Where have you buried your head all these years? People moved to "what can the country do for them" years ago. Wake up, keep up at the back

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm going to pick out your phrase 'gravy train'. Now, all of us 'hard working people' (great politically appealing phrase) have a right to feel animosity towards freeloaders. But tax credits are often essential for the people the phrase describes.

Without tax credits our cleaners, shop workers and much maligned skivys of society would struggle against the ever increasing costs of such things as rent (the economically elastic honey of the landowners) and other rising costs.

you talk as if tax credits are some basic, inalienable right. they have been around in the current form for less than 15 years. the cleaners and shop workers you mention seemed to do quite ok for generations before they had this little government subsidy. economically speaking, it has suppress wage demands, or subsidised employers depending how you want to frame it. often the recipients could address low earnings by increasing hours, upskilling or otherwise finding better paid employment. the tax credits certainly have a value and need at the bottom end of the wage spectrum but have been far too broad, paying out too high and too generously to people who frankly shouldnt need state aid. maybe if you want to address rent, a serious problem, direct policy towards increasing supply of rental properties instead of government subbing more money to feed demand (self-perpetuating and will never solve the problem).

Would there be more money to hand back to the top end of the market though ?

no money is handed back in a tax cut, what ever that cut is. not taking something someone earns or owns is not giving them something, they already earn/own it. taxes take earnings and assets, thats the fact of them, and we all agree some is necessary just disagree to the extent. but doesnt matter if this is income tax or inheritance tax, is a dishonest and flawed arguement to claim a tax cut is giving people something. what you mean is taking less.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Struggling to rate the less than impressive Tory strike force when all they have to do is amble past a shambolic defence that can't put in a tackle or a clearance.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

You may not have got family credits but in the 60s and 70s, there was a married person's allowance and tax relief on your children. Those have been long abolished (although the Tories did bring back the marriage allowance this year). If you had a mortgage, you could also claim tax relief on that (long abolished also). You did have to pay tax at a higher rate, of course, but that was offset by less VAT, alcohol duty etc.

And don't forget that property was also a lot, lot cheaper in those days - my parent's house was £4,900 - equivalent of £80,000 today

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here