Kayal 8
Stephens 9
Murphy 9
March 6

Baldock 7
Hemed 8

Zickro

Aug 9, 2015
Scores so far are generally too high - we had a panicky last 10 holding on to a 1 goal lead against a side that is definitely going down. Yeah yeah we had 20 odd shots but we gifted them a goal and two great chances whilst not being ruthless at the other end.
V happy that our worst home performance ended in 3 points, but let's not kid ourselves it was not a vintage performance. So...
Stockers 4 - nothing to do except play a couple of dodgy passes to defenders with attackers breathing down their neck and pick up a stupid booking whilst prolonging the game by a minute.
Bruno 6 - great start to the season and did well again tonight going forward but....Derbyshire got between him and Greet for their only 1st half chance, and he let the cross come in too easily for the great chance they had early 2nd half.
Bong 7 - run for the 2nd goal was great. Strong and quick, but like all the back four marked down for dicking about and losing possession in our own half far too often.
BFG 5 - horrible error for the chance at start of 2nd half. Guilty of dicking about on occasion, but not as bad as GG on that count
GG 5 - good first half, second was best forgotten
King Kayal - 7 did ok but overshadowed by Stephens
Stephens - 8 MoM. Grabbed the game by the scruff when we were dithering at 1-0
March - 3. Low on confidence, totally one footed, no end product. Just confirmed to CH. that he's last in the pecking order amongst our widemen
Murphy - 8. Grew in confidence and a fair shout from sponsors as MoM
Baldrick - 6 think he is having a fine season but not his very best tonight.
Hemed - 7-and-a-bit: goal and assist but should have hit one chance 1st time and I still would like to see more from him - eg win the odd header outside the box?

Subs
BZ - 5. Added little but on his own upfront at the end. For those marking 7 and saying 'held the ball up well' I hope you were giving COG 8's for his sub appearances earlier in the year.
Ince - 5 some good some not-so. Will be important for us this year so happy to see him get game time, but needs to learn not to retreat back between the centre halves and invite pressure when we're defending a lead.
Liam - n/a. I would pick him for Wolves and Bolton. Astonished he didn't replace Solly by the hour mark.

Not yet wrote player ratings but I would agree with this as the most accurate posted so far, probably bump stockdale up-to 5, and Kayal one up on your ratings...

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
You're so wrong! He is brilliant! Won every single ball in the air tonight, continuously. He's a boss. Greer has improved dramatically but Dunk & Uwe would be unbeatable.
Disagree on two points:

1) Yes he's brilliant but he wasn't tonight. Made a ridiculous double error in the 1st half and has a tendency to jump in;

2) Unbeatable? We haven't lost yet with Greer and Uwe and, as most do, I think you're underestimating Greer 's influence on our fantastic start.

Anyway, ratings.

Stockdale 7 Didn't have much to do but did it well with the exception of some slightly rogue kicking

Bruno 8 A player reborn
Huenemeier 7 Silly error but otherwise solid
Greer 7.5 Leads the back line so well
Bong 7.5 Very good and lovely surging run for Stephens' goal

March 4 Can't cross, can't shoot. A very good player potentially but currently a poor winger. No confidence in himself
Kayal 8 Influential as usual
Stephens 8.5 Makes everything tick MotM
Murphy 8.5 Lovely cross for Hemed, ran the defence ragged at times

Hemed 7.5 Another goal!
Baldock 7 Lacking a goal but keeps the opposition very busy

Subs
Zamora 6 Held the ball up well and was more involved
Ince 6 Decent but not quite as imperious as usual
Rosenior 6 Not really on long enough

Overall, we were very good for long patches but got very sloppy in the last 10. Still, potential banana skin well avoided!

Ref 4 Some laughable decisions as usual. For example, gave a Brighton throw when Murphy kicked it out, then the Bong foul throw was spot on, but their player then did exact same foul throw!

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Stockdale 7

Bruno 9
Bong 7
Greer 7
Uwe 8

Kayal 8
Stephens 9
Murphy 9
March 6

Baldock 7
Hemed 8

Agree. I thought it was a patchy performance. Some lapses in concentration but other spells when I was sitting thinking 'but we're Brighton, we don't play amazing stuff like this'. Uwe's reading of the match is incredible - incredibly intelligent footballer. Nurphy looks terrifyingly quick.. An evening to grind out a result against a rough unimaginative Rotherham but I thought with signs of us clicking into a higher gear

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not a great performance for me, very patchy in second half.

Stockdale - 6
Bruno - 9
Bong - 7
Greer - 6
Uwe - 7
Kayal - 7
Stephens - 7
Murphy - 8
March - 6 - wasteful, but other good bits
Hemed - 6.5
Baldock - 6
Hemed -6

Zamora - 6
Ince - 6
Rosenoir - n/a

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Stockdale - 6 - silly booking, some poor communication with the back four
Bong -7 - solid
Bruno - 8 - will forgive a couple of shaky defensive moments and instead praise that volley and sublime first half flick
Greer -7 - wonderful first half, dodgy second
SFG - 8 - a commanding, combative performance. His kind of game
Kayal - 8 - could have scored a couple, should have scored with that header. Everywhere as usual
Stephens - 9 - great strike and another terrific performance. Best I've seen from him
Murphy - 9 - MOTM - quick feet, takes on players, alwats a threat. Fantastic signing
March - 6 - surprised he lasted as long as he did. Will hopefully learn from the likes of Murphy
Hemed - 8 - a poacher. Always likely to score.
Baldock- 8 - another energetic performance. Deserved a goal

Zamora - 7 - held the ball up well
Ince - 6 - a bit sloppy

Thought the ref was very lenient on a very physical Rotherham side

Think you've got the ratings pretty much spot on. Although I'd probably downgrade Baldock to a 7.5 just doesn't have presence and poise of Hemed but does work very hard for the team.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Scores so far are generally too high - we had a panicky last 10 holding on to a 1 goal lead against a side that is definitely going down. Yeah yeah we had 20 odd shots but we gifted them a goal and two great chances whilst not being ruthless at the other end.
V happy that our worst home performance ended in 3 points, but let's not kid ourselves it was not a vintage performance. So...
Stockers 4 - nothing to do except play a couple of dodgy passes to defenders with attackers breathing down their neck and pick up a stupid booking whilst prolonging the game by a minute.
Bruno 6 - great start to the season and did well again tonight going forward but....Derbyshire got between him and Greet for their only 1st half chance, and he let the cross come in too easily for the great chance they had early 2nd half.
Bong 7 - run for the 2nd goal was great. Strong and quick, but like all the back four marked down for dicking about and losing possession in our own half far too often.
BFG 5 - horrible error for the chance at start of 2nd half. Guilty of dicking about on occasion, but not as bad as GG on that count
GG 5 - good first half, second was best forgotten
King Kayal - 7 did ok but overshadowed by Stephens
Stephens - 8 MoM. Grabbed the game by the scruff when we were dithering at 1-0
March - 3. Low on confidence, totally one footed, no end product. Just confirmed to CH. that he's last in the pecking order amongst our widemen
Murphy - 8. Grew in confidence and a fair shout from sponsors as MoM
Baldrick - 6 think he is having a fine season but not his very best tonight.
Hemed - 7-and-a-bit: goal and assist but should have hit one chance 1st time and I still would like to see more from him - eg win the odd header outside the box?

Subs
BZ - 5. Added little but on his own upfront at the end. For those marking 7 and saying 'held the ball up well' I hope you were giving COG 8's for his sub appearances earlier in the year.
Ince - 5 some good some not-so. Will be important for us this year so happy to see him get game time, but needs to learn not to retreat back between the centre halves and invite pressure when we're defending a lead.
Liam - n/a. I would pick him for Wolves and Bolton. Astonished he didn't replace Solly by the hour mark.

So Stockdale got low marks partly because he took a yellow card for the team to win 3 points - unbelievable

Funny how people forget the two silly errors by Stephens in the second half within 15 seconds of each other which could have easily resulted in a goal and the dreadful corners he took most of the match.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So Stockdale got low marks partly because he took a yellow card for the team to win 3 points - unbelievable

Funny how people forget the two silly errors by Stephens in the second half within 15 seconds of each other which could have easily resulted in a goal and the dreadful corners he took most of the match.

Exactly my thoughts about Stockdale. He time wasted which also disrupts the momentum of play. To say that booking was pointless and low score him because of it is quite frankly pathetic

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Stockdale 7 nothing much to do, took a yellow for the team - would people have preferred one of the defenders took the free kick instead and got a yellow

Bruno 8 Different player this season, what a tackle in the first half and great shot, although keeper saw it all the way
Bong 7
Greer 7
Uwe 7

Kayal 9 MOM he's like Rocky smashed to pieces all game yet still covers every inch of the pitch and runs the midfield
Stephens 8 Great goal, let down by his corner taking and some lapses in the second half
Murphy 8.5 Some great runs especially the one in the box in the second half with the ball stuck to his feet
March 4 Didn't notice him much of the game but dreadful shooting when we needed that 3rd

Baldock 7
Hemed 8 Took the goal well should of had at least one more, fantastic turn and shot in the second half which the keeper somehow saved

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Disagree on two points:

1) Yes he's brilliant but he wasn't tonight. Made a ridiculous double error in the 1st half and has a tendency to jump in;

2) Unbeatable? We haven't lost yet with Greer and Uwe and, as most do, I think you're underestimating Greer 's influence on our fantastic start.

Anyway, ratings.

Stockdale 7 Didn't have much to do but did it well with the exception of some slightly rogue kicking

Bruno 8 A player reborn
Huenemeier 7 Silly error but otherwise solid
Greer 7.5 Leads the back line so well
Bong 7.5 Very good and lovely surging run for Stephens' goal

March 4 Can't cross, can't shoot. A very good player potentially but currently a poor winger. No confidence in himself
Kayal 8 Influential as usual
Stephens 8.5 Makes everything tick MotM
Murphy 8.5 Lovely cross for Hemed, ran the defence ragged at times

Hemed 7.5 Another goal!
Baldock 7 Lacking a goal but keeps the opposition very busy

Subs
Zamora 6 Held the ball up well and was more involved
Ince 6 Decent but not quite as imperious as usual
Rosenior 6 Not really on long enough

Overall, we were very good for long patches but got very sloppy in the last 10. Still, potential banana skin well avoided!

Ref 4 Some laughable decisions as usual. For example, gave a Brighton throw when Murphy kicked it out, then the Bong foul throw was spot on, but their player then did exact same foul throw!

^^ What he said. Uwe DID make a few mistakes, but then he was also very commanding in the most part.

March can only kick the ball with one foot, and when he DOES get a chance, he doesn't really know what to do with it. I know he's young, but that's not good enough at this level – IMO, like.
Thought Kayal and Stephens were terrific - the former is tough as anything. I think that's the third game in a row where he's taken a big knock (or many, in the case of the Forest match).

Overall, I didn't think it was anywhere near the standards we'd set in previous games. Something wasn't right from the beginning, and I thought Hemed's goal almost came against the run of play. A lot of silly mistakes, but we got the job done, which is the main thing.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Stockdale 7
Bruno 8
Greer 7
Hunemier 7
Bong 7
Kayal 7
Stephens 8
Murphy 7
March 5
Hemed 7
Baldock. 6

Ince 6
Zamora 7

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Stockdale. 6. Effective when needed & no chance with the goal. Some careless clearances again and a daft booking which nearly turned into a sending off
Bruno. 7. Until he tired looked one of the most likely to unlock their defence. That volley was pure class
Greer. 6 would have liked him to take a little more control when we inexplicably panicked at the death but a solid enough performance.
Huenemeier. 6. Rock solid until he lost his man for the goal but one mistake is enough in this league. Love the way he makes players try to run through him
Bong. 7. Excellent going forward and effective defensively. A real bargain
Stephens. 8. Possibly his most effective all-energy performance and a cracking goal but in fairness Rotherham possess the least challenging midfield we are likely to see all season
Kayal. 7. Maybe a fraction off his best but hugely influential in keeping moves going that in the past would have broken down and ended back with our keeper. Missed a great chance with first half header but unlucky later not to get on the scoresheet
March. 5. Unable to impose himself on a limited but deep defence. Not playing with the freedom we know he possesses but hard to come in with little game time
Murphy. 8. Has the confidence born of experience that Solly lacks to come in and grab his opportunity to impress. Lovely quick feet but we missed the KLL cross shot which might have made for an easier night
Baldock. 7. When the goal comes it will open, if not the floodgates, then at least the door to double figures this season. Control and pace make him a real handful creating space for Tomer to exploit.
Hemmed. 7. Another goal (just). Always there or thereabouts and always wanting to find a shot. Selfish is a trait much to be admired in a striker especially when on a hot streak

Subs:
Ince 5 hard to impose yourself defensively on a midfield that the opposition bypass. Felt like the wrong sub when Rosenior's experience and mouse might have helped avoid the self-induced panic that set in at the end
Zamora. 5. Thought he was going to score....... And possibly he should have but the more minutes he gets the more he will contribute
Rosenior..... came on too late to either impact or assess

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Can't quite work out some of the very high ratings.

Just shows when you're on a run how things go for you. That performance twelve months ago and we would have drawn probably even lost. Could not believe the mistakes we made and we were very sloppy a lot of the time. How Derbyshire missed that free header early on is beyond me. The last few minutes and extra time were a joke. We were in complete disarray.

However I thought it was one of those dodgy fixtures. After two hard games (on paper) and then playing the bottom of the league then the next few hard fixtures coming up, this was a banana skin waiting to happen. So credit to the team for avoiding it, even if a lot of luck was involved doing it.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I don't understand how Greer could be considered as letting the team down. It wasn't Greer who conceded the free kick and it wasn't Greer who let his man go for the goal that followed. I noticed a couple of dodgy moments from Hunemeir when in possession, but he was his usual solid self when challenging the strikers. I didn't notice Greer do anything that let the team down. The defence was organised and rarely threatened. Greer looked to me to be as solid as he has been all season.

Greer was the better out of the 2 centre backs. Some people will slate him how ever he plays

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)

Nope, Stockdale's mark is because he had nothing to do so no plus points from a starting assumption of 5 and I took 1 off for at least 2 awful passes that put us in trouble. I added a comment about time wasting because imho he royally p@ssed the ref off, potentially could have got a 2nd yellow for continuing to do it having been waved on by the ref twice, and led the reg to add even more time. It wasn't very clever.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Stockdale 7- A few dodgy kicks but fairly solid, don't understand why some are moaning at the time wasting.

Bruno 8.5- That volley was outrageous, to pull it out the air like that is top class. generally a step above the opposition like most games this season.
Greer 7.5- Played well, only thing that worrys me slightly about him and BFG is sometimes they are not great in the air.
Hunemier 7- Some great blocks and covers the space well. Bit sloppy with the ball.
Bong 7- Fairly solid, didn't offer much going forward like usual.

Kayal 7- Some great touches but was getting frustrated at the end.
Stephens 9- MOM absolute class act.
Murphy 8- Very good game, set up goal, that run where he basically beat 4 or 5 players was top notch.
March 6- Poor game from Solly tonight, needs a goal.

Hemed 6- Not his best game, but getting the goals.
Baldock. 7.5- Great running off the ball.

Subs
Bobby 7- Held up ball well.
Ince 7-

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Can't quite work out some of the very high ratings.

Just shows when you're on a run how things go for you. That performance twelve months ago and we would have drawn probably even lost. Could not believe the mistakes we made and we were very sloppy a lot of the time. How Derbyshire missed that free header early on is beyond me. The last few minutes and extra time were a joke. We were in complete disarray.

However I thought it was one of those dodgy fixtures. After two hard games (on paper) and then playing the bottom of the league then the next few hard fixtures coming up, this was a banana skin waiting to happen. So credit to the team for avoiding it, even if a lot of luck was involved doing it.

Not a bad summary at all. :thumbsup:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
With the exception of March and Stockdale I don't see any reason to give the others a different score from each other. I would give them all 8 excepts for March 6 and Stockdale 7. Excellent team performance and great to see so many playing well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here