Norwood 4
Ince 3

Elvis 6
Murray 5
Baldock 5

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Fair enough I didn't attend last night so on what you saw would you start him on Saturday and who would be his best partner up front?

Hmmm. Not sure but I think his substitution last night was all about keeping him fresh for some involvement on Saturday. Provably on the bench ahead of Baldock again.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hmmm. Not sure but I think his substitution last night was all about keeping him fresh for some involvement on Saturday. Provably on the bench ahead of Baldock again.

I still don't think Manu is particularly good, but you could be right, he looked a lot better than Baldock.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I am really struggling to see how Norwood has warranted a score as high as he has from many!

He is absolutely dire. Thank god that Stephens was retained otherwise this pile of crud would be in our first team midfield. He had a shot from a free kick that their keeper didn't even have to move for. Virtually every cross failed to clear the first defender. He was the very weak link in what was a poor performance by the team.

I'm struggling to see how so many are rating so many of our players so highly. Only Manu and Goldson seemed up for it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some generous scoring, for an abject displa
Whoever told the players to hit long diagonal balls against 10 men needs their head examined. Goldson and Norwood the biggest culprits.

None of these players look close to the first team. Although some of them should be.

That was our biggest problem for the last 20 minutes. Skalak and or Murphy should have been brought on for SB and Pocognoli as soon as they scored the 2nd goal and told to get down to their line and put crosses into Murray and Hemed

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Maenpaa 6 - no chance with either goal

Hunt 6 - looked comfortable most of the time, but in a back 4 all over the place
Goldson 6 - got better as the game went on
BFG 5 - rusty
WBA man with a long name 5 - poor game, not helped by being clattered twice, but in his defence not played for a long time

Norwood 4 - distribution was poor, highlighted by corner 5 mins into injury time, 10 Albion in the box including the keeper and he hit the first defender, grrrrr
Sidwell 4 - hardly involved
Ince 5 - wanted the ball but in such a poor team was hard to do much

Manu 7 my MOTM, looked lively and at least had a couple of shots
Baldock 4 - what did he do or create?
Murray 4 - really off form compared to the games when he scored. Looks lethargic

Hemed 7 - added some power and urgency in attack, deserves to start before Murray at the moment
Skalak 7 - finally somebody prepared to run at the defence, end result was erratic
Murphy 5 - good when had the ball but looked like he didnt really want to be on the pitch

With our smallish squad dont think the boss will be too concerned we are out of the competition, even if these players are not first team choices at the moment they are the back up for injuries or will be the players to come on off the bench. We need fresh players as last season we ran out of steam at Christmas and then the end of the season.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Against popular opinion I thought Baldock deserved his mom, purely due to two good runs and crosses in the first half that deserved a goal which was more than anyone else did. Also don't understand the love-in now for Manu, yes he had a go but he looked pretty clueless to me and got lucky sort of bundling the ball past his marker a few times. Also earned a few free kicks Lua Lua style (ie just looking for the free kick rather than creating anything). Goldson and Uwe looked very rusty and a long way off challenging for the first team (understandable but frustrating). Murray sadly looks too old now and 12 months too late.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
So much for the "strong squad" that we were supposed to have. Awful performance last night. Looked like most players just didn't give a stuff. Elvis the one notable exception.

Maenpaa 6. OK. I couldn't see whether he had a chance with either of the goals.
Hunt 6. Did OK, but would have liked to see him get forward a bit more.
Hunemeir 5. One awful mistake early on. Improved as the game went on.
Goldson 5. Dithering with the ball early on nearly cost us a goal. He was clearing the ball after a corner, but because we bring ALL our players back for corners (stupid) he had no outlet upfield and was trying to find a team-mate to pass to. Improved as the game progressed, but clearly way off his best. Far too pedestrian bringing the ball out of defence in the second half.
Pocognoli 5. Not bad considering how long it is since he last played a competitive game. Clattered twice in the first half. Looks to have potential.
Ince 6. Best of the central midfield.
Norwood 4. Very disappointing. Saw plenty of the ball, but did little useful with it. His corner in added time when even Maenpaa was up was an absolute disgrace ... didn't clear their first defender,
Sidwell 4. Poor.
Manu 8. Only one to put in a real shift. Always looked a threat. Unlucky not to score with a great volley in the first half. Should start on Saturday.
Baldock 3. Massively disappointing. What the hell were the sponsors on giving him MoM? He was our weakest link.
Murray 5. Won a few headers, but didn't really look interested. Expected a lot more from him.

Subs:
Hemed 6. OK
Skalak 6. Looked more interested than most of his team-mates.
Murphy 4. Did he do anything?

Manager 3. Has to take part of the blame for such an awful performance.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Don't think we can make too much of a judgement of this 'reserve' back 4, particularly when the 4th is a youth teamer with a total of 15 mins first team experience!

Who is this youth team player with only 15 minutes first team experience before last night?

Can't say I saw anyone who fitted that criteria given that Rob Hunt played the full 90 minutes against Colchester and Oxford, unless EFL Cup ties aren't classified as first team games, which would be news to me.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Who is this youth team player with only 15 minutes first team experience before last night?

Can't say I saw anyone who fitted that criteria given that Rob Hunt played the full 90 minutes against Colchester and Oxford, unless EFL Cup ties aren't classified as first team games, which would be news to me.

Meanwhile in pedants corner...

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Perfectly reasonable to suggest they're not! A number of clues, not least that a vast majority of Seagull Fans don't concern themselves with the EFL Cup. The manager appears to use these games pretty much as a 'friendly' to acquaint himself with the squads ability and fitness. Finally, checking out the starting lineups of our 'important' league games you will surely have noted that last evenings openers were in fact the Second XI. :shrug:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Perfectly reasonable to suggest they're not! A number of clues, not least that a vast majority of Seagull Fans don't concern themselves with the EFL Cup. The manager appears to use these games pretty much as a 'friendly' to acquaint himself with the squads ability and fitness. Finally, checking out the starting lineups of our 'important' league games you will surely have noted that last evenings openers were in fact the Second XI. :shrug:

But suspensions from league games have to be served if an EFL tie falls in the banned games, and sending offs and resulting bans from EFL games are served in league games, which would indicate otherwise. If fans can't be bothered to turn up that doesn't change the status of the game. Also if you look in the record books for club appearances EFL games will be included given the first team status that attaches.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Maenpaa 6 Could have got something on ball before Swift scored
Poco 5 Average No threat to Bong at moment
Hunemier 6 Fair
Goldson 7 Appreciate no defending to do later but love his ability to go forward
Hunt 6 Good late challenge but didnt he and Poco realise it was home game and both should have contributed more in attack
Sidwell 6 Average
Ince 5 Very average player that has never improved and that is reason nobody wanted to loan him.
Norwood 5 Crossing was awfull
Murray 6 Average. Before sending off there 2 forwards were giving our defenders hard time with pace and strength . Murray and Hemed not quick enough and not strong enough to brush defender off.
Baldock 5 Apart from a good 20mins in 1st half did nothing.
Manu 7 Bet Reading couldnt believe taken off. Only one able to take defender on. He will get better with more games and hope he starts with Murray or Hemed.

Why didnt Full backs look to overlap like Bong and Bruno.
Why with 20 mins to go was our only means of attack to pump long balls. (most didnt get past first man)

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
But suspensions from league games have to be served if an EFL tie falls in the banned games, and sending offs and resulting bans from EFL games are served in league games, which would indicate otherwise. If fans can't be bothered to turn up that doesn't change the status of the game. Also if you look in the record books for club appearances EFL games will be included given the first team status that attaches.

Sadly agree #32 appears to sum it up for me. :facepalm:

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Maenpaa 6 Could have got something on ball before Swift scored
Poco 5 Average No threat to Bong at moment
Hunemier 6 Fair
Goldson 7 Appreciate no defending to do later but love his ability to go forward
Hunt 6 Good late challenge but didnt he and Poco realise it was home game and both should have contributed more in attack
Sidwell 6 Average
Ince 5 Very average player that has never improved and that is reason nobody wanted to loan him.
Norwood 5 Crossing was awfull
Murray 6 Average. Before sending off there 2 forwards were giving our defenders hard time with pace and strength . Murray and Hemed not quick enough and not strong enough to brush defender off.
Baldock 5 Apart from a good 20mins in 1st half did nothing.
Manu 7 Bet Reading couldnt believe taken off. Only one able to take defender on. He will get better with more games and hope he starts with Murray or Hemed.

Why didnt Full backs look to overlap like Bong and Bruno.
Why with 20 mins to go was our only means of attack to pump long balls. (most didnt get past first man)

Godson 7.? You are having a laugh. Defensively he was awful. That's his job remember.!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here