Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings - QPR away

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
From row D in the lower tier behind the goal you really can't see much of what's happening at the other end of the pitch. Was going to look at the recording of the match before giving ratings, but haven't found the time so here goes anyway.

First thing that stood out for me was the inability of the Brighton players to control the ball in the first half particularly. Every pass seemed to bounce off the player instead of being cleanly controlled. Secondly, the number of times the ball was given away because of poor touches. Thirdly, the number of really poor passes straight to a QPR player. All not good. If I was a QPR fan I'd have been wondering how Brighton were top of the league after our first half battering. If not for Stockdale (and Calderon) we'd have gone in a half time two or three nil down. Early in the second half it looked like being another game of two halves as Albion turned their game around, but then we went all defensive again and threw away two points.

And another thing, we are conceding far too many goals. Two in each of our last three games. Last clean sheet November 3rd. Our defence was always our strength. What has happened?

Stockdale 8. Crucial saves in the first half to keep us in the game.
Bruno 7. Not a bad game overall, but was he to blame for one or both of the goals?
Dunk 5. A pretty decnt performance until his stupid stupid yellows. We need a central defender with more sense.
Greer 6. Far too many misplaced passes mixed with some decent defending.
Calderon 6. Great clearance off the line, but apart from that not a great game. We need a left footer at LB. Time to give Chicksen another chance?
Kayal 6. Not his best game.
Stephens 7. Well taken goal. Better than Kayal on the day, but can play better.
Murphy 6. His performances have been less than impressive of late. If not for our injuries I think he would be warming the subs bench.
Van La Parra 7. Decent game; good corners (mostly); well taken goal.
Hemed 6. Not bad, not great.
Wilson 7. Hope United don't recall him. Quick and impressive.

Subs:
Crofts 5. Didn't do much from what I could see.
Zamora 5. Not up to his recent standard.
Hunemeier - not on long enough.

Manager 6. I think he got the substitutions wrong this time. Wilson should have stayed on.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm amzed just how much Kayal escapes criticism.

He can be utter magic at times, and he was superb against Derby, especially in the second half.

Last night, I thought he was sloppy, casual, not in the game, whining to the ref; Stephens, who played the simple, driving game he does, playing the passes he needed to make, carried him in midfield. Some of BK's passing was awful - 2014/15 quality.

As for his pathetic Austin-esque dive at the end - it summed his night up.

I'm all for the Roar, and particularly Ady's call at identifying Stephens as our key player. But your love-in for Stephens is causing you to seriously under-estimate Kayal, who is our most influential player. I only saw the game live, but I don't remember too many Kayal mistakes/misplaced passes, and I do remember a number of good tackles, dribbles, and him getting round the pitch brilliantly (I'd be interested to see the stats on distances covered, for instance).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Bruno 7. Not a bad game overall, but was he to blame for one or both of the goals?
Dunk 5. A pretty decnt performance until his stupid stupid yellows. We need a central defender with more sense.
Calderon 6. Great clearance off the line, but apart from that not a great game. We need a left footer at LB. Time to give Chicksen another chance?
Murphy 6. His performances have been less than impressive of late. If not for our injuries I think he would be warming the subs bench.

Subs:

Manager 6. I think he got the substitutions wrong this time. Wilson should have stayed on.

I'll go for these marks.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From row D in the lower tier behind the goal you really can't see much of what's happening at the other end of the pitch. Was going to look at the recording of the match before giving ratings, but haven't found the time so here goes anyway.

First thing that stood out for me was the inability of the Brighton players to control the ball in the first half particularly. Every pass seemed to bounce off the player instead of being cleanly controlled. Secondly, the number of times the ball was given away because of poor touches. Thirdly, the number of really poor passes straight to a QPR player. All not good. If I was a QPR fan I'd have been wondering how Brighton were top of the league after our first half battering. If not for Stockdale (and Calderon) we'd have gone in a half time two or three nil down. Early in the second half it looked like being another game of two halves as Albion turned their game around, but then we went all defensive again and threw away two points.

And another thing, we are conceding far too many goals. Two in each of our last three games. Last clean sheet November 3rd. Our defence was always our strength. What has happened?

Subs:

Wilson was absolutely dying on his arse after an hour, no way he could have lasted.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I'm all for the Roar, and particularly Ady's call at identifying Stephens as our key player. But your love-in for Stephens is causing you to seriously under-estimate Kayal, who is our most influential player. I only saw the game live, but I don't remember too many Kayal mistakes/misplaced passes, and I do remember a number of good tackles, dribbles, and him getting round the pitch brilliantly (I'd be interested to see the stats on distances covered, for instance).

Kayal over-elaborates, procrastinates and loses the ball a lot. I'd like see him contribute lot more, especially in the final third.

Stephens doesn't. He keeps things moving.

In my (Al's) opinion, like.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I also wanted to see the game again before giving ratings, but I'll do it based on being behind the goal, near the back row.

Stockdale 8 For the first time, I felt confident with him in goal. The goals were not his fault, and he made some important saves.
Bruno 6 No real impact on the game other than the spell between 1-0 and 2-1 up when the whole team played some football.
Greer 7 The defence looks more solid and composed with him in there.
Dunk 5 He's got to manage himself better, but we have to remember he is still inexperienced and learning the game.
Calderon 7 Goal line clearance and would sooner bleed than not do everything for the club.
Murphy 5 Not involved in a meaningful way.
Stephens 7 He and Kayal are the best central midfield partnership I've ever seen at the club.
Kayal 8 The boss.
Van la Parra 7 He was a threat all the time, but didn't always produce anything. Smashed in a pea roller!
Wilson 6 Not his night, should have got his shot away in the second half but took too long.
Hemed 5 Didn't really do anything of note.

Subs
Crofts 6
Zamora 6
Hünemeier 6

No impact at all from the subs, which was a shame but it was game management when they all came on at their various times.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Kayal over-elaborates, procrastinates and loses the ball a lot. I'd like see him contribute lot more, especially in the final third.

Stephens doesn't. He keeps things moving.

In my (Al's) opinion, like.

Fair play. I see things differently in terms of Kayal, less so in terms of Stephens (whose passing in the final third has notably improved over the past 10-15 games; he was misplacing passes too frequently prior to that). Stephens certainly plays more first time passes than Kayal (and especially first-time forward passes), which is excellent but Kayal carries the ball well and also makes assist passes (Leeds for March, Birmingham for Wilson's shot against the post immediately spring to mind -- I don't have access to stats on this). I really don't think Kayal loses the ball a lot.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Fair play. I see things differently in terms of Kayal, less so in terms of Stephens (whose passing in the final third has notably improved over the past 10-15 games; he was misplacing passes too frequently prior to that). Stephens certainly plays more first time passes than Kayal (and especially first-time forward passes), which is excellent but Kayal carries the ball well and also makes assist passes (Leeds for March, Birmingham for Wilson's shot against the post immediately spring to mind -- I don't have access to stats on this). I really don't think Kayal loses the ball a lot.

If Kayal is on song, he is amazing - and probably our best player.

"If..."

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Average Player Ratings

Highest Rated
Stockdale 8.14 (101mins, 12 votes)

The Rest
Stephens 7.59 (101mins, 12 votes)
Bruno 7.47 (101mins, 12 votes)
Kayal 7.38 (101mins, 12 votes)