Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Player ratings Manchester United vs Brighton

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
:lolol:

Yep. Particularly when he gave it away trying to create something "unique" on about 89 mins when he could have gone in the corner. Did he learn nothing from England Women.

Your others are spot on, particularly Welbeck and Caicedo.

Quite and that wasn’t the only time.

Think he needs to be turned off and on again…… 😐

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sanchez 6 -- one outstanding save, and good distribution, but he was slightly at fault for the 'goal', and spilled one too. Still rather have him than his compatriot at the other end.
Veltman 8 -- solidity, intelligence
Dunk 7.5 -- solidity, leadership
Webster 7.5 -- solidity, velocity
March 8.5 -- some outstanding passes and passages of play. Think he's going to be hugging the left and right touchlines as GP's advanced wing-back all season.
Trossard 8 -- such a skilful player, great pass to release Welbeck for the first goal, and back heel to set things off for the second ...
Caicedo 9 -- ... he was involved in both goals too, and is a simply outstanding footballer. As GNLF says, please leave him alone when his form dips, which it will do at some point
Ali Mac 7 -- kept things ticking over
Gross 8.5 -- delighted your still with us tearing United apart Pascal
Lallana 8 -- stunning technique and vision, delightfully executed on the day
Welbeck 9 MotM -- he's one of the best strikers in the PL, and demonstrated that. He's got the lot: searing pace, strength, mobility, running power, intelligence.

Subs:
Mwepu 6.5
Lamptey 6.5
rest n/a

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think that everyone is being very generous on Alexis Mac - even before the unfortunate own goal, he looked a bit lost in his new role. I thought he chased shadows a few times, didn't use the ball well and mishit a few passes and a long range effort where he usually is much handier. I'm a really big fan of Alexis Mac and I absolutely want to see him playing in the centre of midfield but it was a 5 or 6 out of 10 performance yesterday I thought. Covered lots of ground though and put in a real shift, no question about his mentality or his desire - my criticism is of the performance in the game, but it wouldn't change my mind that he's a quality CM and adds a lot to our team and squad.

I also thought Lamptey was noticeably poor, overhit a cross and looked weak in the tackle. It didn't cost us, but he looked very poor and in need of a longer period of time to get up to match speed. Hopefully we can keep him fit and get him back up to speed, he's such a dangerous little player for us and the prospect of adding him at full whack into our squad over the course of the season is exciting.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Sanchez 7 - bullied a bit for the goal but other than that solid with a couple of good stops.
Webster 7 - solid as usual
Dunk 7 - ditto Webster.
Veltman 7 - ditto Dunk.
March 8 - Played several positions and an assist (his shot came back of the keeper for the second).
Caicedo 8 - Broke up play well and moved it forward.
Lallana 7 - ditto Veltman.
Trossard 8 - linked up well down the left. Faded towards the end. Looks a threat from the LWB role.
Macallister 7 - ditto Lallana.
Gross 8.5 - worked hard, was everywhere and two goals from great movement.
Welbeck 8 - Great work-rate and linkup play. Deserves more goals for his work.
Mwepu 6 - did ok.
Lamptey 6 - did ok.
Unadav 7 - judged solely on his time on the field he did good, won a good freekick at the end to take the pressure off well.

The real secret to me is we have so many players that come out every week and put in 7/10 performances at the minimum. That consistent base makes us hard to beat and something to build on each week.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Sanchez 7 - bullied a bit for the goal but other than that solid with a couple of good stops.
Webster 7 - solid as usual
Dunk 7 - ditto Webster.
Veltman 7 - ditto Dunk.
March 8 - Played several positions and an assist (his shot came back of the keeper for the second).
Caicedo 8 - Broke up play well and moved it forward.
Lallana 7 - ditto Veltman.
Trossard 8 - linked up well down the left. Faded towards the end. Looks a threat from the LWB role.
Macallister 7 - ditto Lallana.
Gross 8.5 - worked hard, was everywhere and two goals from great movement.
Welbeck 8 - Great work-rate and linkup play. Deserves more goals for his work.
Mwepu 6 - did ok.
Lamptey 6 - did ok.
Unadav 7 - judged solely on his time on the field he did good, won a good freekick at the end to take the pressure off well.

The real secret to me is we have so many players that come out every week and put in 7/10 performances at the minimum. That consistent base makes us hard to beat and something to build on each week.

I agree.
A couple of those sevens were better than that though

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've just read Welbecks Wikipedia page. He must feel like the most unwanted player in the land.
Substituted here, coming on there, injured again.
I feel I needed to put an arm around him and say 'we love you'.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
I agree.
A couple of those sevens were better than that though

Maybe I am a tough marker, but I will also say that I consider a 7/10 as a very good performance. If everyone puts in 7/10 each game we will probably be easily 10-12th come the end of the season.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I've just read Welbecks Wikipedia page. He must feel like the most unwanted player in the land.
Substituted here, coming on there, injured again.
I feel I needed to put an arm around him and say 'we love you'.

All joking aside, I do feel that we, the fans, need to do more to show Welbz how valued and appreciated he is at our club. Needs to hear his name sung on a regular basis at every game - now he seems to be over his injury problems he really is the top striker we’ve been craving since Muzza. I honestly think every club outside the top 5 (reduced to exclude Man Utd) would love to have him in their team as their first choice striker. If he keeps injury free this season I have no doubt his goal tally will be double figures.

Last edited:

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Rob Sanchez 7 - just like his compatriot in the opposite goal, he seemed surprised by how slippery the ball was (wet pitch?) and struggled with his handling a few times. Fantastic save on Rashfords attempt (if it had gone in VAR would probably have allowed it).

Adam Webster 7 - did well, no spectacular Webster runs but solid defending - though in the second half he probably could and should have taken more responsibility for bringing the ball under control within the team.

Lewis Dunk 8 - very Dunkesque performance, plenty of good blocks and interceptions.

Joel Veltman 8 - United thought they could overload on Joels side in the second half, but they forgot that he got two pockets.

Solly March 8 - good both in attack and defense

Moises Caicedo 8 - first half was probably a 10 but struggled a bit in the second, presumably he was a bit tired

Adam Lallana 8 - good control over the game and helped the team take over possession after the initial first minutes when United were in charge

Leandro Trossard 8 - great first half, some not-so-good decisions in the second half is what prevents him from getting a 9

Alexis Mac Allister 7 - not his day really, worked hard and wasn't bad - but struggled to get the sort of impact we know he can have

Pascal Gross 8 - two fine goals but his passing game was very weak today. Oh well, I'll take it.

Danny Welbeck 9 - a goal and it would have been a 10. Runner, playmaker, dribbler, target man, ball winner... what did they put in those new hamstrings?

Enock Mwepu 7 - Mwepurian stuff all the way - a combination of genius and madness.

Tariq Lamptey 7 - close to 8, him coming on with fresh legs and fresh lungs had a very big impact and helped Veltman a lot just when the game was getting quite sweaty on that side of the pitch

Can’t argue with any of that.
I can.
Defence is spelt with a c.
Other than that it works!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here