Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Player ratings Manchester United vs Brighton

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Talk of how good Welbeck, Veltman and Gross were got me thinking.

Our starting 11 cost, by my rough maths, under 60m.

For the same price we sold Cucurella for we were able to put out a team that outplayed and deservedly beat Man Utd at Old Trafford. The club are doing something very right at the moment. Long may it continue.

In terms of player assessment I don't significantly differ from the O.P.
This is what I love about our club. I know it sounds trite but we have a team not a group of stars. TBH I would hate for this to change, expecting to win because every player cost a fortune and they all start for their national sides. At least the way we have it there is still some connection to the club of old in that we are not a purely purchased team, rather a group who has worked frigging hard to develop.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This is what I love about our club. I know it sounds trite but we have a team not a group of stars. TBH I would hate for this to change, expecting to win because every player cost a fortune and they all start for their national sides. At least the way we have it there is still some connection to the club of old in that we are not a purely purchased team, rather a group who has worked frigging hard to develop.
Lallana was interviewed on the radio yesterday and was talking about how honest and tight-knit the group is and how it's lacking any big egos. Sounds a very happy place at the moment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It's also interesting the way Bloom has build the modern Albion.....which seemingly prioritised putting the infrastructure then the various management positions in place. This is different to most clubs which believe a successful team drives everything. For us it was stadium, training ground, Barber and then Ashworth and then success followed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's also interesting the way Bloom has build the modern Albion.....which seemingly prioritised putting the infrastructure then the various management positions in place. This is different to most clubs which believe a successful team drives everything. For us it was stadium, training ground, Barber and then Ashworth and then success followed.

Clear strategy and long-term plan……….brilliantly executed. Makes all the wailing we heard about things like the academy being a waste of money after 2 years, not splashing the cash on mercenary strikers and suchlike seem even dafter now than it did at the time - just needed a bit of patience (and tolerance of the odd mistake here and there as Tony and crew learned the ropes).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here