Burn - not on long enough
Stephens - 6 to be fair looked ok
Maupay - 4 poor when he came on
Ali J - not on long enough

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Rough game. The players worked hard (I know you dont believe it but thats what they did) and unfortunately City's very high class in combination with some players getting entirely undressed made the numbers quite big and especially in the own penalty area I would have expected a tad bit more despite the opposition.

Matt Ryan - 2
Lets just say it wasnt his day. People asking for him to be dropped against Saints need to take a deep breath and count to ten though.

Martin Montoya - 6
I'm very far from a Montoya fan but he was probably the defender least involved in the not so convincing defensive performance today. Did what you could expect from a very average or pretty poor defender facing City. If he was quality and put down the same performance it would have been a steady 3 or 4, but with Martins standards it was ok.

Adam Webster - 4
While its really no surprise Webster got some issues with very technical and pacy attackers twisting and turning, you could expect far more presence in the air than he showed today. Not much in his generally successful passing either. A game to forget.

Lewis Dunk - 6
retty close to a 5 but gets the benefit of a doubt since he was more or less alone on the left side playing against De Bruyne, Mahrez, Walker... and Bernardo.

Bernardo - 2
I think the unwarranted yelling about replacing the extremely consistent and competent Dan Burn with this fella will be pretty muted for a couple of days. I had to check how many times he lost possession: 16, fairly sure its some type of record for a Brighton player this season. It might have been the worst individual performance of any player in any game this season (Sheffield Wednesday in the cup never happened).

Aaron Mooy - 6
Worked his ass off as usual and got pretty tired and faded towards the end as usual, but was one of the few able to actually keep the ball within the team.

Davy Pröpper - 4
When he gets a bit of time he can play opening through balls and turns like few others in the team, but he is just slow in the thought and too often on his heels and the only type of consistency he got is that he consistently lose the ball in dangerous areas. Despite all of this, he improved as the game went on and was decent in his last 30 min on the pitch.

Yves Bissouma - 6
You see the class, even today, but he is still a year away from being able to do a top performance against one of the dirtiest midfields in history.

Pascal Gross - 7
Worked hard and was involved in the little that was created. I had never heard of him when I started watching the team, but he is "secretly" a class player - too bad he lacks pace.

Leandro Trossard - 6
Considering how little he had to work with, he did very much out of it. However, I've seen him put down some very good defensive performances recently but in that aspect he was just lost today - their ugly right side was too clever and too skilled to even let him come near and close down.

Aaron Connolly - 5
Perhaps N/A would be more fair. Ran like a rabid dog as usual, giving Tross a bit of space, but... didnt do much and there was really nothing he could do either. 90 minutes against opposition like this is good experience for him though.

Subs:
Tariq Lamptey - 6
Came in and had a better grasp of the right side (as expected), but also lost the ball dangerously a few times which could have been pretty bad if the game was in a stage were City werent as complacent.

Dale Stephens - 7
Came on and had as many interceptions (5) as Bissouma (2) and Pröpper (3) together. He might be old and boring, but he is Dale Stephens.

Ali Jahanbakhsh - N/A
Pretty meh. Had some good intents but also lost the ball a couple of times. Not really fair to give him a rating though.

Neal Maupay - 6 (or N/A)
Did a poor pass at a good counter attack opportunity but other than that you could see the ball control, the bite and the inherent class.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Player ratings H v Man City

Was Man City but just wish we had turned up
Ryan 2 a good keeper but had a shocker tonight

Montoya 2 dog shit
Bernardo 5 looks good going forward not so good defending
Webster 5 thought he was not to bad
Dunk 6.5 my Albion mom
Propper - 0 total and utter shit tonight
Bissouma - 6 least he tried
Mooy - 5 looks unfit and slow but nice touches
Gross - 4 too slow
Trossard 6 felt so sorry for him class but no service

Connolly 5 tried so hard impossible for him tonight

Lamptey - 6 - Should of started
Burn - not on long enough
Stephens - 6 to be fair looked ok
Maupay - 4 poor when he came on
Ali J - not on long enough

Right backs - assuming Lamptey’s our RB next season, should we get rid of both MM and Schelotto this summer? Both have been taken apart in the PL (MM not just by the mega spending clubs wide players).

I think we need to invest in cover for Lamptey.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Ryan 3 - To blame for at least 2 of the goals and didn't look confident at other times. Probably the first spell of continuous poor form for us.
Montoya 2 - How did this man once play for Barcelona
Bernardo 3 - Atrocious positioning all game. Slight leeway given as its his first start in a while.
Dunk 6 - Did ok. That's all I can muster for him.
Webster 5 - not actially his worst game for us.
Propper 4 - Def one of his poorer performances; struggles when receiving the ball from the back 4 which is a fundamental part of our play.
Bissouma 6 - one of the few that gave a shit
Gross 5 - Wasn't terrible, but just wasn't great either.
Mooy 6 - Same as Gross, but showed more attacking intent.
Trossard 6 - Tried and came closest to a goal, but didnt have the players to link up with.
Connolly 5 - Ran and ran but fed on sod all...positioning was poor at times too and doesnt seem to want to press as much as Maupay does.

Stephens 6 - did well when he came on
Lamptey 6 - got forward and at least showed players down the line, which Montoya didn't.
Burn 5 - added little to an already v poor left side
Maupay 5 - Not much he could do, but poor decision making when he could have put Ali J through late on.
Ali J 6 - offered an outlet and made some good runs, but was never found.

We were always going to find it hard tonight as they were that good but some players disappointed. Fortunately we are in such a position it shouldnt be a problem, not like last years 5-0 v Bournemouth.
Next game is more important, that rough patch of games is done with now.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Ryan - 2

Montoya - 3
Bernardo - 4
Webster - 4
Dunk - 6

Propper - 2.
Bissouma - 4
Mooy - 5
Gross - 4
Trossard - 5.

Connolly - 5.

Lamptey - 6
Burn - 3
Stephens - 6
Maupay - 3
Ali J - 5

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
The Times player ratings:

Brighton (4-2-3-1): Ryan 6 — Montoya 5 - Webster 5 - Dunk 5 - Bernardo 5 - Mooy 7 - Propper 6 - Bissouma 6 - Connolly 5 - Gross 6 - Trossard 6, B Foster 7, A Masina 7. :moo:

Pröpper 6 :ffsparr:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
All marks given take into account the incredible quality of the opposition

Ryan - 2 - Rumblings against him, (from serious people) for the first time in his Albion career. A case to answer for goals 3, 4 and 5. His poorest game for the Albion

Montoya - 2 - Gave the winger acres. Uncertain in possession. Continually failed to show Sterling onto his left, leading to the crucial first goal
Bernardo - 3 - Horrible switch off for Jesus goal. Unconvincing in possession. Crossing ineffective. Offside about 4 times. Burn's stock has improved
Webster - 3- Technique on the ball is ok. I think his confidence has take a battering in the last week. Given a torrid evening
Dunk - 5 - Competent on the ball, though long range passing ineffective tonight. Deserves better defenders to play alongside.

Propper - 1 - Shockingly casual and inaccurate passing. Playing like he's already engineered a move.
Bissouma - 4 - Got his foot in and displayed energy, though outclassed.
Mooy - 6 - MOM (if we're proceeding with the fantasy that the MOM was playing for us). The only player on our team who it looked plausible that he once played for Man City. A good technician
Gross - 4 - Had moments of class, but could hardly get into the game
Trossard - 5 - He's still playing well, I expect we'll see more impressive play from him in the last 3 games.

Connolly - 5 - Threatened with him movement in behind, needs better service.

Lamptey - 6 - Terrific defending to deny Mahrez
Burn - 2 - Should have cleared the 5th off the line
Stephens - 3 - We were punch drunk by the time he was told to come on and limit the damage. Very little involvement
Maupay - 2 - Couldn't hold it for us
Ali J - 2 - Couldn't hold it for us

I rate you 8 for bothering to go into such detail.
The players never got going. I’m not going to rate Individually them, as we all know.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
A half-hearted, pitiful display, riddled with mistake after mistake, against a very good side. I'm afraid some heads dropped in the second half and less than 100% was being given by some.
Ryan.....4.....The sooner he gets some competition, the better. Poor display
Montoya...3....Not good enough.
Webster....5...Lacks positional sense. Mistakes in him every game but clearly third name on teamsheet every game.
Dunk....6.5....Thank God.
Bernardo...4....Ensured Burn will be straight back in. Ragged and ill-disciplined display.
Propper....3....Away with the fairies. Playing at a different tempo to everyone else. Shocking.
Mooy....6....Worked hard and didn't give up, unlike some others.
Bissouma...5...Too many mistakes.
Gross....4.5....One good ball into the box, wasted by Trossard. Apart from that....help!
Trossard...5....Couldn't get in the game. Not the worst.
Connolly....5....On basis that he didn't do anything. No physicality at all. Nudged off ball all the time

Subs.....5....for a bit of irrelevant huffing and puffing.
Potter...Surely we can mix it up a little against the top teams. They know we are going to play out from the back ( slowly ) They know we will give the ball away v the high press. Result.... we get pressed, we give the ball away, we concede goals, we lose games.

Yeah this.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
I’d award the cardboard cut outs 10 for sitting out the whole match.

Don’t think any of them sloped off after 80 minutes which I think I might have done today.... prop(p)er horror show ?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do we need one of these threads for tonight?

Think everyone is acutely aware of who wasn't up for/to it tonight.

Dunk and Stephens when he came on were our best players and only voices on the pitch, says it all.

And that being the reason why Stephens is going nowhere. We need players with bite and attitude as well as the flair players and I think GP appreciates what he brings. Unless we can replace him and his leadership and attitude with an upgrade he will be staying

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
And that being the reason why Stephens is going nowhere. We need players with bite and attitude as well as the flair players and I think GP appreciates what he brings. Unless we can replace him and his leadership and attitude with an upgrade he will be staying

Great post Icy - this 100%.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Ryan 3 - To blame for at least 2 of the goals and didn't look confident at other times. Probably the first spell of continuous poor form for us.
Montoya 2 - How did this man once play for Barcelona
Bernardo 3 - Atrocious positioning all game. Slight leeway given as its his first start in a while.
Dunk 6 - Did ok. That's all I can muster for him.
Webster 5 - not actially his worst game for us.
Propper 4 - Def one of his poorer performances; struggles when receiving the ball from the back 4 which is a fundamental part of our play.
Bissouma 6 - one of the few that gave a shit
Gross 5 - Wasn't terrible, but just wasn't great either.
Mooy 6 - Same as Gross, but showed more attacking intent.
Trossard 6 - Tried and came closest to a goal, but didnt have the players to link up with.
Connolly 5 - Ran and ran but fed on sod all...positioning was poor at times too and doesnt seem to want to press as much as Maupay does.

Stephens 6 - did well when he came on
Lamptey 6 - got forward and at least showed players down the line, which Montoya didn't.
Burn 5 - added little to an already v poor left side
Maupay 5 - Not much he could do, but poor decision making when he could have put Ali J through late on.
Ali J 6 - offered an outlet and made some good runs, but was never found.

We were always going to find it hard tonight as they were that good but some players disappointed. Fortunately we are in such a position it shouldnt be a problem, not like last years 5-0 v Bournemouth.
Next game is more important, that rough patch of games is done with now.

Many successful teams have below average Players who tag along. Im sure he would have looked alright with Messi just up ahead!

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Ryan, Montoya, propper 0 - all should be embarassed and beer clearing out

Webster 1 - bambi on ice is back in these last 3 home games. Combined with others At fault for 3 goals. He has some of the worst positional play and balance I’ve ever seen. Gets a 1 as made a tackle to save a goal.

Dunk 4 - couple of blocks but positional play very shakey

Bernardo - 4 at fault for two goals but kept de Bruyne quiet

Mooy, gross, connolly - 4 tried hard but not quality

Bissouma - 5 only play who is mobile in the midfield light years above anyone else we have there

Trossard - 5, couple of good moments

Subs - Stephens 6, rest didn’t touch ball

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Exactly the same scores from me, but I’d give AJ a 6. He came on for his first appearance post lockdown into a nightmare scenario, he ran his socks off and seemed to give a shit. That gets a decent score.

Very good assessment summary Mr V. What would you score Potter incidentally?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
All marks given take into account the incredible quality of the opposition

Ryan - 2 - Rumblings against him, (from serious people) for the first time in his Albion career. A case to answer for goals 3, 4 and 5. His poorest game for the Albion

Montoya - 2 - Gave the winger acres. Uncertain in possession. Continually failed to show Sterling onto his left, leading to the crucial first goal
Bernardo - 3 - Horrible switch off for Jesus goal. Unconvincing in possession. Crossing ineffective. Offside about 4 times. Burn's stock has improved
Webster - 3- Technique on the ball is ok. I think his confidence has take a battering in the last week. Given a torrid evening
Dunk - 5 - Competent on the ball, though long range passing ineffective tonight. Deserves better defenders to play alongside.

Propper - 1 - Shockingly casual and inaccurate passing. Playing like he's already engineered a move.
Bissouma - 4 - Got his foot in and displayed energy, though outclassed.
Mooy - 6 - MOM (if we're proceeding with the fantasy that the MOM was playing for us). The only player on our team who it looked plausible that he once played for Man City. A good technician
Gross - 4 - Had moments of class, but could hardly get into the game
Trossard - 5 - He's still playing well, I expect we'll see more impressive play from him in the last 3 games.

Connolly - 5 - Threatened with him movement in behind, needs better service.

Lamptey - 6 - Terrific defending to deny Mahrez
Burn - 2 - Should have cleared the 5th off the line
Stephens - 3 - We were punch drunk by the time he was told to come on and limit the damage. Very little involvement
Maupay - 2 - Couldn't hold it for us
Ali J - 2 - Couldn't hold it for us

Oops, right question to the wrong poster. What would you score Potter incidentally? Great summary btw.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Oops, right question to the wrong poster. What would you score Potter incidentally? Great summary btw.

Potter - 4 - Turned up to the battle of Stalingrad wielding a stick of rhubarb. Reduced to managing the damage in the second half

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I thought one of our players actually had a very good game. Weirdly it was a centre back when we conceded 5. I don’t think he could have done anything for the goals (even the final goal which was lifted over him was excellent skill from Raheem) and dunk spent the match covering Webster and Bernardo. He made lots of tackles and interceptions and was generally pretty good. Remember this was against wave after wave of attack so to keep his concentration was great. There was one moment in the second half when he slipped but this can happen. He made several blocks, including the one with the long barrier to put a shot against the bar quite early and as always close to the line trying to make a block of play had gone round him.

He was also pretty calm with the ball and a few times took someone closing him down out of the game with one touch around them. Granted his long passing was not perfect but he was trying to find one person up front who is the size of my 11 year old! Let’s not forget he also played a great ball to Ali J who didn’t time his run properly.

All in all I thought he did well. Montoya, Webster and Bernardo were poor and i have never seen propper have a worse game for us than that - propper in particular caused many of our worst moments. I think propper is quality so it hurt writing that.

We probably have enough points already but there is no reason we can’t get something from our last three. Find me a Brighton fan who would not have taken 7 points from arsenal, leics, United, Norwich, Liverpool and city when we restarted!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here