Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player Ratings Crystal Palace - Brighton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Potter 1. got it wrong with the selection of team and use of subs.

My opinion is he got it right, the multiple chances are testament to this; he can’t be held responsible for the woeful finishing.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Ryan 5
Montoya 5
Webster 6
Dunk 7
Burn 6
Propper 4
Bissouma 5
Mooy 3
March 5
Trossard 4
Maupay 5

Murray 5
Alireza 6
Alzate 6

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Ryan. 5.5. I rate Maty, but there seems to be an increasing number of games where, to ape the NSC thread, you just feel he could have done a fraction better with an opposition shot. This was another one. Not a clear cut howler, at all, but another conceded goal that leaves you more gutted at our failings than applauding the opposition's skill, and Maty's been part of several of those recently.

Montoya. 6. Did ok with suppressing Palace in the main, but didn't offer too much going forward. Competent enough.

Dunk. 6.5. Should have been on the scoresheet, but for Maupay's superb goal line clearance. Mostly kept Palace quiet, but part of the muddle for their goal.

Webster. 6. None of the mistakes that have caused so much NSC anguish recently, generally did alright. He's an ok player, and developing, but I still struggle to understand why we spent £20m on him while frantically booting strikers out the door without replacements.

Burn. 6.5. Seemed to be everywhere from left wing to centre forward in the final desperate moments. Shows more passion than most, and an unconventional approach to formations, but it seems weird that for all our supposed blazing wing talents, Burn frequently seems to be the one left to cross the ball when he's not exactly world class in that department.

Propper. 5.5. Keeps us ticking over, runs the engine... but also makes several dreadful passes every game that hand the ball straight to the opposition. He's hard to rate. You ended up having to give the middle between a 7 and a 4, really.

Mooy. 5.5. Too many wayward passes, nothing really coming off for him at the moment. With him and so many others, I also get an impression of almost total silence during games. Maybe it's an incorrect image, but I just don't see a lot of communication with each other – exhortation, encouragement, battle even. They're all trying in their own ways, but that famous team spirit feels pretty thin on the ground at present.

Bissouma. 6.5. Showed flashes of energy and urgency, caused a few problems without really converting them into real threats.

March. 5.5. Oh Solly. Put him near the box and he over-thinks, hedges, doubts himself. He seems to have been on a plateau for some time now. You so want a local lad who's come through the ranks to really push on, but so often he still looks like he's a youth product in his first proper season. That final 5% that makes the difference just doesn't feel like it's coming. Also Exhibit A for the case that maybe the 'no dickheads' policy has its downside too. The likes of Andone and Knockaert, for all their failings, seemed to have a hunger and passion to just fücking go for it sometimes. Oh for a little more of that.

Trossard. 4.5. Great pass for the March chance, otherwise very little. Huge passages of the game go by and you forget he's on the pitch. Another one that also gives off a quiet and slightly detached vibe.

Maupay 6.5. Getting a lot of stick for shooting straight at the keeper, but at least he gets power into most of his efforts, and they're usually on target. I think he's well worth what he paid, and has been one of the few bright lights this season. Magnificent goal line clearance to stop Dunk giving us the lead. :down:

----

Murray 5. Face it, the only value in putting him on is so he can win free kicks on the edge of the box, or get on the end of a cross. Other than that, it's not worth bringing Glenn on to play left wing, puffing vainly after wild through balls.

AJ 6. Managed to get a few crosses in during his brief cameo, shame there was rarely anyone there to act on them – see above.

Alzate NA. Not really on long enough to warrant a ranking.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Ryan 5

Montoya 2
Dunk 2
Webster 2
Burn 1

Pröpper 2
Mooy 2
Bissouma 1

Trossard 2
March 2
Maupay 2

No motivation to assess the subs.

Schelotto 10

Last edited:

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
I thought I’d give my two penny’s worth on both teams as I’ve seen both games.
Firstly at selhurst, I must admit, you looked good on the ball . Your movement and passing was crisp and without looking threatening you looked a good side. Yesterday, you looked very nervous from the off really . Very slow in the build up and dare I say no Glenn Murray to bully us and win free kicks.
You had chances but I felt comfortable and all rivalries apart I think you are bang in trouble.

We did what we do well. Roy’s maybe a dinosaur but he sets us up well , especially away from home, we always look dangerous on the break and it worked a treat yesterday.
36 points now and pretty much safe . With 10 games to go I think top 10 is a good possibility. I’ve said all along potter will get found out and his lack of experience would be his problem. If he saves you from now on then he has done bloody well.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I thought I’d give my two penny’s worth on both teams as I’ve seen both games.
Firstly at selhurst, I must admit, you looked good on the ball . Your movement and passing was crisp and without looking threatening you looked a good side. Yesterday, you looked very nervous from the off really . Very slow in the build up and dare I say no Glenn Murray to bully us and win free kicks.
You had chances but I felt comfortable and all rivalries apart I think you are bang in trouble.

We did what we do well. Roy’s maybe a dinosaur but he sets us up well , especially away from home, we always look dangerous on the break and it worked a treat yesterday.
36 points now and pretty much safe . With 10 games to go I think top 10 is a good possibility. I’ve said all along potter will get found out and his lack of experience would be his problem. If he saves you from now on then he has done bloody well.

You say Potter will get found out but we had simpled chances to kill the game off. We go 1-0 up and you get beat, its that simple. Potter cannot be blamed for shocking finishing.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
You say Potter will get found out but we had simpled chances to kill the game off. We go 1-0 up and you get beat, its that simple. Potter cannot be blamed for shocking finishing.

Yep, but we didn’t go one up and Potter has won 6 games all season. I would say he has either been found out or is simply out of his depth!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
define "found out"?

As you are probably aware, I don’t think he is up to the job. My own view is he has lost the respect of the players who are clearly not playing for him. I don’t believe our squad or players are bottom 3 but the way they are playing at the moment they are. Could you imagine us playing with anything like the intensity of Watford last night?
Most opposing managers know we’ll string a few passes together so sit back knowing we won’t create the chances (although yesterday was the exception against a very poor Palace side) and always be open at the back to an error or break!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Ryan - 4. Little to do but what he did do he did badly.

Montoya - 5. One of the better players for us today.
.Dunk - 8. Good game
Webster - 5 not as bad as his other games recently but a long way off what someone of his value should be showing
Burn - 4 seems to be one of the consistent starters but should have been dropped weeks ago. Offers nothing in that position. How he is picked over Bernardo is a total mystery.

Mooy - 5 poor again
Proper - 7 not his best game but he’s playing out of position too
Bissouma 8 MoM. At least he tried to make something happen.

March - 5 no confidence for a couple of seasons now. He’s in the wrong league I’m afraid.
Trossard - 6 not happening for him. Too lightweight and shouldn’t have started.

Maupay 7 Tries hard but, again, may be playing a league above his level.

Ali J - ffs give him a start Potter
Alzate - as above
Murray - tried and tired

Manager 2 - a totally wrong starting 11 set the tone for the day. Bernardo, Ali J and Mac Allister have to start and then be given time to flourish by bed in and cement their spots instead of this clueless tinkering.

Dunk 8????

At fault for their goal when he lost his man.
Beaten at almost every corner and free kick by Cahill.
Not one of his better days.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

He’s not blameless.

Why no Bernardo, Alzate and Stephens yesterday? Why persist with Montoya?

We were largely on top against an out of sorts CP, but Cahill looked as cool as a cucumber, and so many of our attempts were blocked or row Z worldies from 25 yards out.

On shocking finishing, Benteke should’ve put them 1-0 up early on, plus a couple of headed chances from 4 yards they hopelessly fluffed.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He’s not blameless.

Why no Bernardo, Alzate and Stephens yesterday? Why persist with Montoya?

We were largely on top against an out of sorts CP, but Cahill looked as cool as a cucumber, and so many of our attempts were blocked or row Z worldies from 25 yards out.

On shocking finishing, Benteke should’ve put them 1-0 up early on, plus a couple of headed chances from 4 yards they hopelessly fluffed.

Montoya played well yesterday, but all those mentioned should have started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Defensive unit 5 (did we get a first header when defending corners / free kicks?)
Defensive midfield 7 (Bissouma taken off? Eh?)
Attacking midfield 3 (Hope I don’t see Trossard again this season, Mooy needs a rest)
Attack 4 (wasteful)
Management 4 (poor decision making)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I’m not sure what you mean?

Well I believe Potter got the selection wrong, and had Murray played and Alzate perhaps a different result in terms of finishing......

All very hypothetical though to be fair.

Equally, a lot of the shots recorded were pea-rollers with no hope of going in.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Imho he needed the constant support of Propper and sometimes others in his defending. He’s vulnerable.

Have to disagree on this one.....

The CB is the player to watch..... when Schelotto plays, Duffy frequently drifts over because he Schelotto struggles, when Montoya plays we have a much better shape.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here