Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player Ratings Chelsea - Brighton

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Based off of tv:

Ryan 8 Saves!
Webster 5
Dunk 5.5 Looked ok first half, poor second.
Burn 5
Alzate 6 looked good when he came into the middle. Needs to stop diving.
Stephens 6
Bissouma 5 Understandably rusty and lacking match fitness
Montoya 6
Mooy 5.5 Thought he looked ok in the first half. Non existant in the second.
Gross 6
Maupay 6 Game.

Bong 4 Feel a little bad giving him a low score, he did his best but he's not a winger or a wing back. God knows why he was brought on as one.
Connolly 5 little time, little impact
Murray 5 same as Connolly

All round very disappointing. The defense as a unit looked very vulnerable and ill at ease. Going forward we offered nothing.

It's also worrying that we have so few senior players and amongst them that includes two players Potter has never seen play (Izzy and Schelloto) and one he clearly does not rate at all (Ali J).

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Just think he is the only thing saving us from crumbling defensively. Some great cross-field passes, and had Abraham in his pocket, to the extent Abraham tried to play on Burn more in the second half.

Are you including the cross-field pass that went straight to Mount and led to their second goal?
Dunk needs to rein in this part of his game. He isn't skilled enough to keep picking out our players with 50-60 yard balls. Its fraught with danger as Saturday showed. It can leave you exposed. I would rather he played them straight down the middle, rather than diagonally across field. If you analyse most of his kicks, they fail to find their target.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Are you including the cross-field pass that went straight to Mount and led to their second goal?
Dunk needs to rein in this part of his game. He isn't skilled enough to keep picking out our players with 50-60 yard balls. Its fraught with danger as Saturday showed. It can leave you exposed. I would rather he played them straight down the middle, rather than diagonally across field. If you analyse most of his kicks, they fail to find their target.

Yes, probably could apply that sort of approach to the team. Get back to basics and try not to be too clever, you are not that good.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ryan 8.5 - I think he was excellent in all aspects today and Brightons best player by some margin.

Andy Webster 6.5 - The penalty does some harm to his rating but other than that he showed a lot of class.
Lewis Dunk 5.0 - Poor performance. Lots of bad passes and had a lot of trouble with especially Abraham.
Dan Burn 6.0 - Every game I wonder if he's godlike or complete shiet, I cant really figure it out. Weird, weird player.

Martin Montoyo 7.5 - Did really well both in defense and attack. I think he is class.
Dale Stephens 6.5 - Okay but not this best game. Some good passing and some nasty mistakes.
Yives Bissouma 6.0 - Sometimes you see that this guy could potentially be our best midfielder, but he looked pretty rusty today.
Steven Alzate 6.0 - Stop diving you stupid ****. Was one of very few players today who could challenge Chelsea players 1v1 or 1v2, but also took bad decisions and had poor end product.

Aaron Mooy 6.5 - Had a few nice through passes and is a very creative and skilled player, but God he is slow and weak. Did okay but should optimally not be in a starting eleven.
Pascal Groß 6.5 - Very risky passing that fails a lot (70% pass success rate) but when he is successful it often leads to somehing.

Neal Maupay 5.0 - Yes it is hard against this opposition but I expect more. Some bad offsides and fouls, and generally unable to create something or find spaces.

Gaetan Bong 5.5 - This alibi of a footballer is just very average in every sense of the word and it felt like Chelsea was actively giving him room to be our playmaker.
Aaron Connolly 5.5 - I like him but he got a spooky way of avoiding the ball.
Glenn Murray 6.0 - Didnt play much, but looked pretty lively.

Montoya - the Radio Sussex team thought he had a poor game, along with his wing team-mate Gross. Bullied time after time.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Yes, probably could apply that sort of approach to the team. Get back to basics and try not to be too clever, you are not that good.

Play to feet, keep it quick, keep it simple, keep it moving.
These type of ' Hollywood ' balls do nothing for me. David Luiz loved spraying them around for Chelsea but then couldn't carry out basic defensive duties.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Montoya - the Radio Sussex team thought he had a poor game, along with his wing team-mate Gross. Bullied time after time.

Montoya definitely divides opinion. I don't rate him and don't think he is PL class and yet a friend who travels with me rates him highly. Personally, I didn't think he had a good game on Saturday, along with Mooy, Gross and Bong ( give me strength!! )

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I don't rate the RS guys but in this instance they are correct, Gross wasn't bullied as much but was played in a way which highlighted his weaknesses. Stephens played well, had a battle on his hands.

Maupay was disappointing. But that wasn't surprising.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Montoya definitely divides opinion. I don't rate him and don't think he is PL class and yet a friend who travels with me rates him highly. Personally, I didn't think he had a good game on Saturday, along with Mooy, Gross and Bong ( give me strength!! )

Those who rate Montoya, not me, love his poise and the whole Barca CL background thing.

I simply look for FB’s who shut out their opponent, attacking attributes are a bonus. Bruno before he got even older, was great at everything, we were so lucky to have him.

Montoya can’t defend, he lacks the pace needed to shut out Redmond, Willian, Dwight McNeil, etc. They skin him every time, it leads to goals conceded over and over again.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Yes, I did the ratings prior to seeing TV.
However, I think you’re being unfair and a lot of his cross field passes do in fact find their target.

For me pound for pound he remains our best player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Those who rate Montoya, not me, love his poise and the whole Barca CL background thing.

I simply look for FB’s who shut out their opponent, attacking attributes are a bonus. Bruno before he got even older, was great at everything, we were so lucky to have him.

Montoya can’t defend, he lacks the pace needed to shut out Redmond, Willian, Dwight McNeil, etc. They skin him every time, it leads to goals conceded over and over again.

Don’t agree at all.

Marked Sterling out of the game at Wembley. Redmond scores coming in from behind Burn. Didn’t play vs Burnley, so don’t see Dwight McNeil beating him [emoji6]

Willian beat him a couple of times and then Montoya worked him out.

Turning into a marmite figure it seems.

If you want really poor defending Schelotto is on the bench.....

Edit.
Even now I would take Bruno over all of them, it is an area for improvement

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

What was your view of the ball that Maupay received for our third against Watford?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Don’t agree at all.

Marked Sterling out of the game at Wembley. Redmond scores coming in from behind Burn. Didn’t play vs Burnley, so don’t see Dwight McNeil beating him [emoji6]

Willian beat him a couple of times and then Montoya worked him out.

Turning into a marmite figure it seems.

If you want really poor defending Schelotto is on the bench.....

Edit.
Even now I would take Bruno over all of them, it is an area for improvement

Redmond outclassed him two seasons in a row at the Amex. Complicit in both Stains goals this time.

Lanzini turned him inside out in the West Ham match, MM dived in near the halfway line leading to the Hernandez goal, and poor again when Snodgrass should’ve got the late winner.

Dwight McNeil was back in the February Amex match. Luckily for us Solly marked McNeil this time.

Why did CH drop MM after all the clangers?

But whole heartedly agree about Bruno.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ryan 8.5 -- a string of excellent saves
Webster 7 -- mistake aside, very good
Dunk 5.5 -- not one of his better games
Burn 5.5
Montoya 5.5
Stephens 6 -- radar not quite right, and when it isn't right, we don't play well
Bissouma 5 -- not fit
Alzate 6 -- some good stuff
Gross 5 -- slow and exposed
Mooy 4.5 -- meh
Maupay 5 -- not up to much today

Bong 4 -- we have, ahem, better left-sided players
Murray and Connolly n/a

Worst performance of the season. You'd have to place some of that responsibility on a small squad and a spate of injuries, but you also need to recognise that Chelsea were very, very good. They like to turn it on against us.

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
Ryan 8.5 -- a string of excellent saves
Webster 7 -- mistake aside, very good
Dunk 5.5 -- not one of his better games
Burn 5.5
Montoya 5.5
Stephens 6 -- radar not quite right, and when it isn't right, we don't play well
Bissouma 5 -- not fit
Alzate 6 -- some good stuff
Gross 5 -- slow and exposed
Mooy 4.5 -- meh
Maupay 5 -- not up to much today

Bong 4 -- we have, ahem, better left-sided players
Murray and Connolly n/a

Worst performance of the season. You'd have to place some of that responsibility on a small squad and a spate of injuries, but you also need to recognise that Chelsea were very, very good. They like to turn it on against us.

Agree completely with your play ratings, and the fact that it was our worst performance. What worries me is that we have been on a slow and steady decline since Watford. Could it be that we got a few good results early on as opponents did not expect our new style of play and now they are on to us?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Got me thinking, so I checked Whoscored who bases their ratings on statistics (obviously doesnt tell it all or even enough for a fair grade, but still interesting) and they had Montoya at 7.0, only behind Ryan (7.5) and Burn (7.2).

In my opinion he got pretty bad end product but great movement and decision making along with underrated defensive qualities. Defiinitely understand why people are divided though, he is by no means perfect.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Redmond outclassed him two seasons in a row at the Amex. Complicit in both Stains goals this time.

Lanzini turned him inside out in the West Ham match, MM dived in near the halfway line leading to the Hernandez goal, and poor again when Snodgrass should’ve got the late winner.

Dwight McNeil was back in the February Amex match. Luckily for us Solly marked McNeil this time.

Why did CH drop MM after all the clangers?

But whole heartedly agree about Bruno.

I really don’t recall McNeil giving him a torrid time at all.

I still think you’re being harsh so going to have to differ on this one, and the good outweighs the bad. He did well on Saturday particularly against Willian who is excellent. Willian’s goal was more a result of Burn standing off and a poor pass.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agree completely with your play ratings, and the fact that it was our worst performance. What worries me is that we have been on a slow and steady decline since Watford. Could it be that we got a few good results early on as opponents did not expect our new style of play and now they are on to us?

With Watford, there was always going to be the element of surprise, and that result either consigned them to bottom feeder status, or propelled them towards it. I think some of our other performances have been better than that one (West Ham, Burnley, Newcastle, maybe even Southampton and City), so I don't think we've declined. For me, it's the smaller squad, compounded by a serious injury crisis, which has reduced options. You'd also have to add in our finishing too, as last time I looked we were bottom of the table in chance conversion.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Got me thinking, so I checked Whoscored who bases their ratings on statistics (obviously doesnt tell it all or even enough for a fair grade, but still interesting) and they had Montoya at 7.0, only behind Ryan (7.5) and Burn (7.2).

In my opinion he got pretty bad end product but great movement and decision making along with underrated defensive qualities. Defiinitely understand why people are divided though, he is by no means perfect.

Our of genuine interest, on Whoscored what ratings did Montoya get against Stains and Wesf Ham? Cheers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here