Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings -Cardiff (A)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Confirmation if we needed any that you have an agenda against Baldock. Give it up, if you don't rate him fair enough but to suggest he was worse than Stockdale makes no sense to me.

Thing is, have a look how many others have given Baldock a N/A mark. I suspect that is because they genuinely believe he came on as a very late sub, whereas in fact he came on with well over 20 minutes left to play.

I make no secret of the fact that I don't rate him, but if I think he gives a good performance I'd say so. Yesterday you really would be forgiven for thinking he wasn't even on the pitch.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Whilst Crofts wasn't fantastic, he really put in a shift yesterday. He probably won't be with us next season but for sheer hard work and the fact he kept possession c. 90% of the time albeit sideways and back I do fee it's harsh to mark him below 5, I can only guess people marking on pre-conceived ideas rather than actually watching the game.

His passing accuracy was at 77% yesterday. He played no through balls and only one long ball all game (I've checked the stats). That's atrocious considering almost every one of those passes was short, sideways or backwards, and almost always led to the play being slowed down or giving the ball to teammates in areas they didn't want it.

He also added to the midfield confusion as he neither got forward effectively nor did he do a good enough job destructively to support the defence.

It was a bad performance by him, but it was a bad day for most of the players. Onwards and upwards.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Stockdale 3 one of those flapper days
Bruno 5 o.k
Dunk 5 o.k
Goldson 3 one of those days
Calderon 3 poor sod out of position and past it,but gives 100%
Skalak 7 great touches and superb at crossing
Stephens 6 scored
Crofts 3 back to his usual rubbish
Sidwell 3 useless
Knockaert 7 ...gave him 7 as he put in a great shift and it was an unlucky day.
Zamora 3 offered nothing although no service
Rosenior looked class after being out for 3 or 4 months:clap2:

Hooton 2
Completely facked up this by going to negative against a side with no recognised strikers and wingers available...Hope he's admitted to his mistake:glare:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Thing is, have a look how many others have given Baldock a N/A mark. I suspect that is because they genuinely believe he came on as a very late sub, whereas in fact he came on with well over 20 minutes left to play.

I make no secret of the fact that I don't rate him, but if I think he gives a good performance I'd say so. Yesterday you really would be forgiven for thinking he wasn't even on the pitch.

He came on with the game at 4-1 - I think a lot of fans recognise that, and they recognise that he wasn't to blame for the performance or result.

Saying that, I'm a bigger fan of his than you are clearly, but I also totally agree that he didn't play well yesterday. But to suggest he had a more negative impact on the result or overall performance than Stockdale, does suggest a lot of negative bias.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Stockdale 3 one of those flapper days
Bruno 5 o.k
Dunk 5 o.k
Goldson 3 one of those days
Calderon 3 poor sod out of position and past it,but gives 100%
Skalak 7 great touches and superb at crossing
Stephens 6 scored
Crofts 3 back to his usual rubbish
Sidwell 3 useless
Knockaert 7 ...gave him 7 as he put in a great shift and it was an unlucky day.
Zamora 3 offered nothing although no service
Rosenior looked class after being out for 3 or 4 months:clap2:

Hooton 2
Completely facked up this by going to negative against a side with no recognised strikers and wingers available...Hope he's admitted to his mistake:glare:

He hasn't - blamed the defence which is fair enough but to not be big enough to also say he got it wrong and the midfield starring his beloved Crofts was also crap is bad imho.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
He came on with the game at 4-1 - I think a lot of fans recognise that, and they recognise that he wasn't to blame for the performance or result.

Saying that, I'm a bigger fan of his than you are clearly, but I also totally agree that he didn't play well yesterday. But to suggest he had a more negative impact on the result or overall performance than Stockdale, does suggest a lot of negative bias.

Yep, I'm not blaming Baldock for the performance or the result yesterday. I'm merely saying he was totally anonymous for the time he was on the pitch, and that he was in fact on for over 20 minutes and not a last minute sub with not enough time to give a rating to.

As for Stockdale. Yes, poor yesterday along with the rest of the team. Skalak would be my MoM purely because he didn't have too bad a Championship debut in difficult circumstances.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Too many people stating it was one of those days, perhaps if the players are tired, jaded or not interested they could tell the fans before we set off and then we can stay at home. Quite frankly from a club with so many resources and support systems at their disposal, yesterdays performance and result were equally as dreadful.
Yes we an criticise the team selection, however the delivery of the performance by the players was poor in the extreme, I would cite the midfield as where our problems originated and the problems cascaded down from there.
If we have aspirations of automatic promotion or being in the playoffs we have to be 300% better than yesterday. Not impressed and have no words of consolation, it needs to get better and very quickly, its so tight at the top that results like yesterday are a gift to the other challengers at the top. Whilst we have to put it behind us, its now imperative that we don't see a repeat of this again this season as we won't be in the mix at the end of the season.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Stockdale 3
Bruno 5
Goldson 5
Dunk 3
Calde 3
Knockaert 5
Stephens 6
Sidwell 3
Crofts 3
Skalak 6
Zamora 5

Hemed 5
Rosenior 6
Baldock 3

Another one with an agenda. You truly believe Dunk was 2 marks worse than Goldson, Knockeart & Zamora? Those 3 were three of our weakest performers by a distance.

It's all opinions but the point of this thread is to mark subjectively and not to try and add weight to previous threads/arguments.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Too many people stating it was one of those days, perhaps if the players are tired, jaded or not interested they could tell the fans before we set off and then we can stay at home. Quite frankly from a club with so many resources and support systems at their disposal, yesterdays performance and result were equally as dreadful.
Yes we an criticise the team selection, however the delivery of the performance by the players was poor in the extreme, I would cite the midfield as where our problems originated and the problems cascaded down from there.
If we have aspirations of automatic promotion or being in the playoffs we have to be 300% better than yesterday. Not impressed and have no words of consolation, it needs to get better and very quickly, its so tight at the top that results like yesterday are a gift to the other challengers at the top. Whilst we have to put it behind us, its now imperative that we don't see a repeat of this again this season as we won't be in the mix at the end of the season.

Tuesday will show whether it was ' one of those days ' or whether our mini revival ( against 4 moderate opponents ) was just that, a mini revival. We have still only taken 16 points out of the last 39 and those games have shown a disturbing amount of fragility and inconsistency. Four days before, we were strong, disciplined and organised at the leaders. Yesterday, we were a dishevelled mess and that is the worry. Certain players seem unable to maintain concentration and keep the unit strong. We have to get back to our early season confidence and build the team around those that featured regularly then, subject to availability, of course.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Confirmation if we needed any that you have an agenda against Baldock. Give it up, if you don't rate him fair enough but to suggest he was worse than Stockdale makes no sense to me.

He was worse than everyone - he did precisely nothing when he came on. Did the commentators say his name once? He was at his usual anonymous best, anyone giving him a rating is taking the mick out of the rest of the players who actually did something in the game, positive or otherwise. He wasn't on the pitch very long, granted, but even by his low standards his "performance" yesterday was a mockery of a footballer.

He adds nothing to the squad on the pitch.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Another one with an agenda. You truly believe Dunk was 2 marks worse than Goldson, Knockeart & Zamora? Those 3 were three of our weakest performers by a distance.

It's all opinions but the point of this thread is to mark subjectively and not to try and add weight to previous threads/arguments.

Yes I do. He stood off Whittingham for the first, was easily beaten for the second and dragged out of position for the third. I'm not saying he was solely responable for all 3 goals, hence why I have given players such as Stockdale and Sidwell the same rating. There was also a penalty that should of been given against him.

Goldson, whilst not having the best game, did not do much wrong. Three of the goals were scored from the other side to his. Harsh penalty against him which there was nothing he could of done.

Knockaert, again was not too bad. But no where near his usual standard. A 5 is still a low score so I'm not saying he played well.

And Zamora was left completely isolated, he didn't do too much wrong. Won a few headers but had no one supporting.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Good post - no excuses really. We really missed Kayal in the middle, no dynamism without him

From the TV :

Stockdale 3
Bruno 5
Goldson 5
Dunk 4
Calde 3 (may not see him start again with Liam back and Bong close)
Knockaert 5
Stephens 6
Sidwell 3
Crofts 3
Skalak 6.5 (pretty OK debut all things considered)
Zamora 3.5

Hemed 5
Rosenior 6 (great to have him back, and immediately looked a class apart)
Baldock 3

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
He was worse than everyone - he did precisely nothing when he came on. Did the commentators say his name once? He was at his usual anonymous best, anyone giving him a rating is taking the mick out of the rest of the players who actually did something in the game, positive or otherwise. He wasn't on the pitch very long, granted, but even by his low standards his "performance" yesterday was a mockery of a footballer.

He adds nothing to the squad on the pitch.

The point I'm making if it had of been anyone other than Baldock you would have given them a higher mark than zero. I can't deny your point he was largely anonymous, I can only recall one touch which was just after he came on. If it were Wilson or Lua Lua I guarantee a Mark of 3 or above would have been applied.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Yes I do. He stood off Whittingham for the first, was easily beaten for the second and dragged out of position for the third. I'm not saying he was solely responable for all 3 goals, hence why I have given players such as Stockdale and Sidwell the same rating. There was also a penalty that should of been given against him.

Goldson, whilst not having the best game, did not do much wrong. Three of the goals were scored from the other side to his. Harsh penalty against him which there was nothing he could of done.

Knockaert, again was not too bad. But no where near his usual standard. A 5 is still a low score so I'm not saying he played well.

And Zamora was left completely isolated, he didn't do too much wrong. Won a few headers but had no one supporting.

He didn't do a lot wrong for the first, Whittingham shouldn't have been passed on by Sidwell. It was a superbly taken goal and Dunk was not at fault IMO. The second goal absolutely he tried to get tight/put a challenge in and he got beaten far too easily. 3rd goal again I can't make a case for Dunk being at fault although I would like to see it again.

Zamora although isolated was out muscled far too often, his lay offs were inaccurate and he missed a golden opportunity in the first half. Now I love Bobby as much as the next person but he was poor and off the pace. Knockaert loads of endeavour but some of his deliveries were shocking. many were over hit and went out of play, and again missed a golden chance at 3-1 to put us back in the game.

But because Knocky & Zamora are quite rightly fans favourites they get marked far more favourably then the others.

At the end of the day we were shit so it's all immaterial and only Skalak & the reappearance of Rosenior can be seen as minor positives in an otherwise awful display.

Keith Patel

**** off Lino.
Apr 4, 2009
Brighton
Stockdale - 4
Bruno - 5
Dunk - 4
Goldson - 5
Calderon - 4
Stephens - 5
Crofts - 5
Sidwell - 4
Skalak - 6
Knockaert- 5
Zamora - 4

Weather - 0
Pie - 5
Toilets - 6
Ale - 5

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Stockdale 3
Bruno 5
Goldson 5
Dunk 5
Calderon 3
Knockaert 5
Stephens 5
Crofts 3
Sidwell 3
Skalak 6
Zamora 4

Baldock 5
Hemed 5
Rosenior 6

Hughton 3

These. I thought Crofts was really disappointing: heavy touches, always played the ball backwards, and didn't do too much shielding of the defence. Glad to see Rosenoir back. We were poor, but fair play to Cardiff. They were crisp in their passing, movement was good, and they finished well. Whittingham was top notch: cracking finish, and that was as good a penalty as you'll see: did he feature in any top fives of best non-Albion players in the Championship?
Perhaps a 4 for Knockaert. Nothing came off for him yesterday, although he did manage to fall over regularly. His performance on the ball actually warranted a 3, but he put in his usual shift so deserves an extra point for that.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
His passing accuracy was at 77% yesterday. He played no through balls and only one long ball all game (I've checked the stats). That's atrocious considering almost every one of those passes was short, sideways or backwards, and almost always led to the play being slowed down or giving the ball to teammates in areas they didn't want it.

He also added to the midfield confusion as he neither got forward effectively nor did he do a good enough job destructively to support the defence.

It was a bad performance by him, but it was a bad day for most of the players. Onwards and upwards.

All of this. I agree with your Baldock post too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here