Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings - Brentford (h)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stockdale 7 A very good save in the first half but the rest routine but did the routine perfectly;
Bruno 7 Solid performance giving very little away.
Goldson 8 Great game and bodes well for the future.
Dunk 7 Did nothing wrong other than 1 slip but solid for the rest of the game.
Ridgewell 7.5 His best game so far and fed Murphy well
Knockaert 9 MOM what a buy CH certainly got that one right.
Kayal 6 Completely out played, out fought and out thought by McEachran and Woods.
Stephens 6 as Per Kayal disappointing.
Murphy 8 Best performance for weeks
Hemed 8 Held the ball up got through a lot of work and scored.
Zamora 6 Not his best night but won the ball a lot 1 st half before pulling up.

Subs:
Wilson 7 Very energetic and caused them problems.
Crofts 7 Did what was expected of him
Sidwell 6 not really long enough to get into the game.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Stockdale 7 Couple of good routine saves. Kicking not so great but a skill that is difficult keep at 100% for keeper.

Bruno 8 Unlucky not to score. Solid
Goldson 8 A real find and should start until he hits the inevitable loss of form that young players have
Dunk 7 One ricket again which could have ended in a penalty, but after that back to his best
Ridgewell 6 A better game but still looks as if he would be taken apart by a decent winger. Looks slow.

Knockaert 9 What a signing could have had a hat-trick. The player that puts bums on seats
Kayal 7 Looked tired at times, but that is because he is is getting little help from Stephens who has definitely gone off the boil
Stephens 5 Don't think I can remember him making one tackle and their midfield had a lot of space at times. Against a better team it would have been a problem. Our weakest player for a few games now.
Murphy 9 Difficult to split him and Knockaert for MOM. Probably his best game for the Club.

Zamora 6 Good hold up play and unlucky to be caught offside, timing of runs just slightly out. Would only blame him if yards offside everytime.
Hemed 7 Great goal and will do his confidence a power of good

Crofts 7 Steady, and great pass for the third goal
Wilson 7 Looks as if he is getting his fitness back. Getting to terms with the championship.
Sidwell 7 Looks as if he likes to get forward box to box. Should start in place of Stephens in the next game.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Zamora didn't look right to me throughout the first half. Is Kayal now injured?

Murphy and Knockeart joint MOM. Brilliant performances by both.

I wonder what our team is worth now. Kayal and Stephens would be worth a lot each and so would Dunk and Goldson.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Can't understand Zamora marking he won a lot of balls in the air yes he was offside a lot but we could not hold onto the ball second half up front.

If you're off-side all the time you give possession back anyway so no difference. Sorry but he was poor.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
For all the people marking Stockdale down for his distribution, do you think this was an intended tactic rather than his kicking being poor? This is, after all, a guy who regularly sprays passes around the pitch without so much as a worry that he may misplace one.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Stockers 7 Solid. Great save early doors.
Brunoooooooooooo 7 Solid
Goldson 8 Is he the most complete centre back at the club? Pace, power, passing, positioning and will hoof it when necessary. Really good player.
Dunk 7 Where Goldson is consistently good, Lewis is capable of brilliance but also dire mistakes. At least he makes the mundane exciting :)
Ridgewell 7 Solid. Best haircut on the pitch.
Knockaert 9 Sublime. I'm not sure I have ever seen someone megs a player while facing the wrong way. He's everything we wanted Vicente to be.
Kayal 7 Good combative performance
Stephens 7 as per Kayal
Murphy 8.5 Great tracking back mixed up with lovely wing play. Would have scored earlier in the second half if he hadn't spooned the ball into row Z
Hemed 7.5 Hard working as ever. Great finish and hopefully the goal will do his confidence the world of good.
Zamora 5 Kept passing the ball or flicking it on to no one and was offside waaay to many times.

Wilson 7
Crofts 7
Sidwell N/A

CH Tactics and team set up 8
Closed the game out after 45 minutes.
I've never seen us do that before. Apart from one mad scramble in the area, Brentford didn't look like scoring in the second half.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Stockdale - 7- good early saves but a couple of flaps from crosses
Bruno - 7.5 - assured as always
Ridgewell - 7 - came into his own 2nd half as we were pushed back
Dunk - 7.5 - forming a great partnership with Godstone
Godstone - 8 - class act
Kayal - 8 - made some great challenges which instigated our best counter attacks
Stephens - 6.5 slightly below par but can't fault work rate
Murphy - 9 MOTM great all round display
Knockeart - 9 not far behind Murphy
Zamora - 6 - We retained possession better when he was on the pitch
Hemed - 7 - good goal which will hopefully get his season back on track

Crofts - 6.5
Sidwell 6.5

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The problem with Zamora is that he plays very tight on the last man so gets called offside some times when he isnt , he gives the assistants some tough decisions to make.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
For me:

Stockdale - 7 - Great save first half, countered by a bad decision in the 2nd half to catch rather than punch which almost cost us a goal. Other than that, he had little to do.
Bruno - 7 - Limited involvement but dependable when called upon.
Goldson - 8 - Very assured, looks a class act to me.
Dunk - 7 - Would be an 8 if it had not been for a dodgy first 15 minutes.
Ridgewell - 8 - I thought it was his best game for us by quite a way.
Kayal - 7 - Good industry in the middle, great cross for the goal.
Stephens - 6 - Not his best game, looked a little off the pace.
Knockaert - 9 - Fantastic, not much else you can say.
Murphy - 9 - MOTM - His best game for us by a mile. Looked dangerous every time he got the ball, a goal and an assist. Seemed to have their right back in his back pocket.
Zamora - 5 - Not sure if he was injured or not, as he seemed way off the pace today? Ball bounced off him more today than it did stick.
Hemed - 7 - Obviously a fantastic goal, but for me didn't offer much else. He seems to lose the ball far more than retain it, but he does put a shift in.

Crofts - 7 - I thought he played very well when he came on, and great vision for the assist.
Wilson - 6 - Some great work, and some not so great work. Should definitely have scored a goal tonight.
Sidwell - 6 - Didn't notice him too much apart from being unfairly adjudged to foul their player when in their penalty box.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The problem with Zamora is that he plays very tight on the last man so gets called offside some times when he isnt , he gives the assistants some tough decisions to make.

Not when he's ball watching it doesn't. At least 2-3 weren't tight at all.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Stockdale 7 One good save, one dodgy moment, otherwise fine
Bruno 7.5 very solid
Goldson 8 Excellent
Dunk 7.5 Obviously a very good player...just...you know
Ridgewell 7 has worried me previously, but looked solid, seems to be settling into it nicely
Knockaert 9 nothing to add!
Kayal 7.5 better than a few recent games, not quite back to his best but still hugely influential so hope he's OK!
Stephens 6 off the boil a bit so I would like to see Sidwell given some proper time against Bolton
Murphy 8.5 excellent game, if not quite up to Knockaert's standard. I think the arrival of Skalak plus Lua Lua back on the bench is going to raise standards all round
Zamora 6 an off day - but think he's allowed to get away with that
Hemed 7.5 Great goal and I think he does more for the team than given credit for. Never stops working and hopefully more goals to come now

Crofts 7 Good influence at the right time - experience always shows
Wilson 7 looked sharper and quicker than recent games, but seemed reluctant to shoot a couple of times when he had the chance. I think he's got a big role to play
Sidwell 7.5 I am surprised by lowish marks he's getting, I thought he looked really good, keen to get forward and would like to see him ahead of Stephens (who needs a rest think)

Houghton 9. I was surprised by the substitutions. What do I know. With the pace we had in Wilson, Murphy and Knockaert it was exact;y right tactic, control midfield, kill off their attacking threat and hit them on the break. Spot on

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Stockdale 8 - it would have been a totally different game without his first half save. POS for me.

Bruno 7.5 - unlucky not to score. 35, ever present, looking as good as ever.
Dunk 8 - another great performance, aside from the early slip up.
Goldson 8.5 - very good player, decent turn of pace early in the first half, to recover from a dangerous position.
Ridgewell 6.5 - enjoyed his over egging of the push into the advertising boards. Stockdale picked up a silly yellow, but it got the crowd going.
Knockaert 9 - he can play a bit can't he....
Kayal 8 - commanding as ever. Lovely drive and cross for his mucker's goal.
Stephens -6. Hardly noticed him tbh
Murphy 8- good effort all through the game.
Zamora 6 - not much to call out from his 45 minutes. Think CH was glad of the 2 goal lead to give Bob a rest. If only he had the fitness levels of our other 35 year old...
Hemed 7.5 - nicely taken goal. Hope this brings him back to the form he started with.
Wilson 7.5. - incredible burst of pace to track down and comfortably beat their right back.. Should have done better in front of goal though.
Crofts. 7 - nice assist, and several similar passes. Looks like he's back to his best. Good to have options in CM.
Sidwell 6.5 - looked classy, as above good to have options in CM.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Stockdale 7 One good save, one dodgy moment, otherwise fine
Bruno 7.5 very solid
Goldson 8 Excellent
Dunk 7.5 Obviously a very good player...just...you know
Ridgewell 7 has worried me previously, but looked solid, seems to be settling into it nicely
Knockaert 9 nothing to add!
Kayal 7.5 better than a few recent games, not quite back to his best but still hugely influential so hope he's OK!
Stephens 6 off the boil a bit so I would like to see Sidwell given some proper time against Bolton
Murphy 8.5 excellent game, if not quite up to Knockaert's standard. I think the arrival of Skalak plus Lua Lua back on the bench is going to raise standards all round
Zamora 6 an off day - but think he's allowed to get away with that
Hemed 7.5 Great goal and I think he does more for the team than given credit for. Never stops working and hopefully more goals to come now

Crofts 7 Good influence at the right time - experience always shows
Wilson 7 looked sharper and quicker than recent games, but seemed reluctant to shoot a couple of times when he had the chance. I think he's got a big role to play
Sidwell 7.5 I am surprised by lowish marks he's getting, I thought he looked really good, keen to get forward and would like to see him ahead of Stephens (who needs a rest think)

Houghton 9. I was surprised by the substitutions. What do I know. With the pace we had in Wilson, Murphy and Knockaert it was exact;y right tactic, control midfield, kill off their attacking threat and hit them on the break. Spot on

Can't comment because I only saw it on the box but if I could................... :thumbsup:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Stockdale - 9 - Performance was an 8, with his customary crucial, strong-handed save but he gets an extra point for his rant & yellow card - awesome attitude, great character & player of the season
Bruno - 7 - good game, again
Ridgewell - 6 - still not convinced, seems off the pace
Dunk - 7 - an 8 really & so glad he's playing well again but that 'mistake' wasn't one. He just had the ball on his left foot and can't use it. At all. If he ever plays in the Premiership like his talent deserves that'll be targeted & punished constantly
Goldson - 8 - Excellent, again
Stephens - 6.5 - Maybe needs a rest
Kayal - 7.5
Knockeart - 9 - Great attitude, great skill. MoM
Murphy - 8.5 - Superb second half, deserved his goal
Bobby - 5.5 - not very good, frankly
Hemed - 7 - some goals now please

Wilson - 7 - superb at times, shattered again .
Crofts - 7.5
Sidwell - 6.5 - looked strong

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Stockdale 7
Bruno 7
Goldson 8
Dunk 7
Ridgewell 7
Knockaert 9
Stephens 6
Kayal 7
Murphy 9
Zamora 5
Hemed 7

Subs
Wilson 7
Crofts 7
Sidwell 6

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Stockdale 6.5 - Good early save, but not a lot to do, and distribution - particularly in the second half when we needed to not give it back to them so easily - was not up to his usual standard
Bruno 7 - People seem way more surprised by his shot being blocked than seems reasonable. The defender got behind it, tried to take it on his side foot, it hit his heel and bounced up and hit the bar. What's so hard to believe about that?
Goldson 7
Dunk 7
Ridgewell 7
Murphy 8.5 - Played a key part in some success in the first half, and was the main driving point to our attack in the second half
Stephens 6.5
Kayal 7 - Nice cross for the second goal
Knockaert 8.5 - main driving point to our attack in the first half, well taken goal, some exciting runs late in the second half
Zamora 6
Hemed 7.5 - A well taken goal.

Wilson 6.5
Crofts A wonderful ball through for Hemed's goal.
Sidwell Was he playing upfront?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For all the people marking Stockdale down for his distribution, do you think this was an intended tactic rather than his kicking being poor? This is, after all, a guy who regularly sprays passes around the pitch without so much as a worry that he may misplace one.

What is the tactical positive to gifting opposition possession, when your defence would appreciate a bit of a break because the opposition has had so much possession?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Stockdale 7

Bruno 7
Ridgewell 6

Dunk 7
Goldson 7

Kayal 7
Stephens 6
Knockaert 8
Murphy 8

Hemed 8
Zamora 5

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
What is the tactical positive to gifting opposition possession, when your defence would appreciate a bit of a break because the opposition has had so much possession?

Therein lies the point... How often does Stockdale punt the ball aimlessly towards our strikers' heads usually?

The point is he doesn't because usually his distribution is immaculate... And usually it's with a very clear idea to move the ball out to either the full backs or the wide men where there is less risk but where we can play out progressively still.

That his kicking was so direct into the centre forwards last night suggests that Hughton has instructed him to go direct to then allow us to win the second ball from any knock downs/headers... Which also gives a clue as to why he would start Hemed and Zamora together rather than give Wilson a start.

I'm not implying it's my favoured approach, but there is a tactical logic as you're moving the ball forward directly and quickly into the forward players, thereby bypassing the midfield where they had an extra man.

Basically, Stockdale'e WHOLE APPROACH with the ball at his feet was different last night to how it is usually. That suggests there's a reason behind it... So marking him down for poor kicking seems illogical if indeed it fits into the game plan that was so clearly laid down...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here