NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Verbruggen 8
Igor 8.5
Dunk 9.5 (joint MOTM)
JPVH 8
Hinshelwood 9
Lamptey 8.5 (best game I’ve been at for an age)
Gilmour 8.5
Buonanotte 9 (brilliant first half, ran out of gas second)
Gross 9.5 (joint MOTM)
Pedro 8.5
Ferguson 8

Welbeck 8
Fati 6
Estupinan 6
Fati 6
Baleba

[Bear in mind this is from the NS, stuff happening in the south 18 yard box isn’t always easy to see].

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Bart 8 Best goalkeeping performance from either of our two for a while. Made some very important stops and some good passes. Not much he could do about the goal, great header.

Lamptey 8 Looked sharp and back at his best. I wish he could stay fit, he is superb when on song. Great work and cross for Hinshelwood goal.

Dunk 8.5 Back to his dominant best. Helped out for the goal by their crap marking at the corner but took his chance. Lovely celebrations.

Van Hecke 7.5 Couple of wobbly moments in possession and nearly gifted them one, but good defensively on the whole. Could tell he was well aware of what playing them means, love the passion.

Igor 7.5 Solid. Love how he immediately drives forward when he gets the ball. Recovered well from his somewhat poor game on Tuesday.

Hinshelwood 8 Great movement and header for the goal. Looked really composed on the ball. As has already been said, if he played for Chelsea/Liverpool/City/United/Arsenal he would be the most hyped young player in the PL right now.

Gross 9 World class. No words needed.

Gilmour 7.5 As JP, caught in possession in an awful position in the first half and nearly cost us a goal, but recovered from it well. Another good game.

Buonanotte 8 Fast, direct, skillful. Took his goal very well.

Fergie 7 Feels like he is at least getting in the right positions again and contributing, needs a goal though.

Joao Pedro 9 World class. He is the complete striker. Excellent work rate, superb on the ball and lovely movement/vision/finish for the fourth.

Subs:

Welbz 7 Gave us the something different that we really needed. Beautiful flick and general awareness for the fourth. If he was a better finisher he'd still be a Champions League quality striker IMO.

Baleba 7 Wasn't afraid to run at them and won some important loose balls in the middle. His cameos like today and Liverpool are great to watch but he has to be doing it for a full 90, obvs. Loads of potential.

Not much to say about the others. Fati gets a 10 just for how good it was to see him back.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Bart 8 Best goalkeeping performance from either of our two for a while. Made some very important stops and some good passes. Not much he could do about the goal, great header.

Lamptey 8 Looked sharp and back at his best. I wish he could stay fit, he is superb when on song. Great work and cross for Hinshelwood goal.

Dunk 8.5 Back to his dominant best. Helped out for the goal by their crap marking at the corner but took his chance. Lovely celebrations.

Van Hecke 7.5 Couple of wobbly moments in possession and nearly gifted them one, but good defensively on the whole. Could tell he was well aware of what playing them means, love the passion.

Igor 7.5 Solid. Love how he immediately drives forward when he gets the ball. Recovered well from his somewhat poor game on Tuesday.

Hinshelwood 8 Great movement and header for the goal. Looked really composed on the ball. As has already been said, if he played for Chelsea/Liverpool/City/United/Arsenal he would be the most hyped young player in the PL right now.

Gross 9 World class. No words needed.

Gilmour 7 As JP, caught in possession in an awful position in the first half and nearly cost us a goal, but recovered from it well. Another good game.

Buonanotte 8 Fast, direct, skillful. Took his goal very well.

Fergie 7 Feels like he is at least getting in the right positions again and contributing, needs a goal though.

Joao Pedro 9 World class. He is the complete striker. Excellent work rate, superb on the ball and lovely movement/vision/finish for the fourth.

Subs:

Welbz 7 Gave us the something different that we really needed. Beautiful flick and general awareness for the fourth. If he was a better finisher he'd still be a Champions League quality striker IMO.

Baleba 7 Wasn't afraid to run at them and won some important loose balls in the middle. His cameos like today and Liverpool are great to watch but he has to be doing it for a full 90, obvs. Loads of potential.

Not much to say about the others. Fati gets a 10 just for how good it was to see him back.
About right. Palace were shocking , especially in the first half, but you can only beat what’s in front of you.
The Fati reception and Pedro 1,2,3,4 celebration capped off a perfect day.
Also - Player Ratings thread has gone out of fashion recently. That’s a shame, it’s one of the best.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Very surprised by the high Gilmour ratings, by his recent high standards he had a poor game today. His passing was off and he gave away possession 16 times! Including three times that directly put us in trouble. Against better opposition, he would have cost us today.

I admire his bravery for continually wanting the ball but he was definitely off form today.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I've steered clear of the Steele v Verbruggen stuff. I quite like Steele, and admire what he's done in the last few years - but I must say I did feel more comfortable and confident with Bart in goal today. It just felt more solid somehow. And I also noticed that De Zerbi didn't keep the 2 game rotation that he has been doing - Steele just got the one game, at Luton. So - don't know whether RDZ felt he was culpable in the defeat there?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've steered clear of the Steele v Verbruggen stuff. I quite like Steele, and admire what he's done in the last few years - but I must say I did feel more comfortable and confident with Bart in goal today. It just felt more solid somehow. And I also noticed that De Zerbi didn't keep the 2 game rotation that he has been doing - Steele just got the one game, at Luton. So - don't know whether RDZ felt he was culpable in the defeat there?

Verbruggen’s long passing’s really improved. Until now Steele was streets ahead I think.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Verbruggen’s long passing’s really improved. Until now Steele was streets ahead I think.
And that's precisely what it's about really. Buy a promising player - blend him into the team and get him to learn and improve on the aspects the manager wants him to learn and improve upon - gradually give him more time, till he's the best option. The Brighton Model in a nutshell.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And that's precisely what it's about really. Buy a promising player - blend him into the team and get him to learn and improve on the aspects the manager wants him to learn and improve upon - gradually give him more time, till he's the best option. The Brighton Model in a nutshell.

If we can address DM in the summer with quality, and not lose too many, the icing on the cake would be keeping a happy RDZ.

It’s amazing what dishing out a derby thrashing does for optimism :D .

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Ferguson 6? What game were you watching? Worked very hard.
Agreed, he'd have been clean through a few times if he hadn't been fouled. He has become a bit of a foil recently while Pedro takes all the glory.

I don't think anyone played less than an 8 yesterday.

Igor and Lamptey were stand outs, as well as Ferguson. Everyone else played as you'd expect on a good day. Which is very good indeed 😃

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Very surprised by the high Gilmour ratings, by his recent high standards he had a poor game today. His passing was off and he gave away possession 16 times! Including three times that directly put us in trouble. Against better opposition, he would have cost us today.

I admire his bravery for continually wanting the ball but he was definitely off form today.

Totally agree and he’s been my favourite player for a while now but he had a poor game by his high standards.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I'm always at a loss to understand that on the BBC's 'player of the match' ratings WBG always seems to come out top. Does he have an enormous family in Scotland voting for him each week? Of course, yesterday was no exception.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here