Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player of the season?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
It will be an injustice if Calde doesn't get it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Vote Calde because he does deserve to win it at least once. And to annoy BG.

Ince, Stockdale and Dunk all contenders but all have had dips in form.

If Kayal had been here since start of season it would probably be him out in front by some way.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

If Kayal had been here since start of season it would probably be him out in front by some way.

Pretty much this, apart from the Stockdale bit.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Agree.

Can't believe Texeirra is getting mentioned, has only had about 5 good games, though maybe it's an indictment of how bad we've been.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Has to be Calderon, gives 100% every time he plays. When he is not playing and has to witness the total tosh of Tuesday night from the side-lines, instead of sulking sends a tweet say how we will do better in the game to try and cheer us up. Is used to call all the fans to get them to renew their season tickets and scores with his beard. If he does not win there should be an inquest, as it will be the biggest injustice the world has ever seen. (maybe a little exaggeration there)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Has to be Calderon, gives 100% every time he plays. When he is not playing and has to witness the total tosh of Tuesday night from the side-lines, instead of sulking sends a tweet say how we will do better in the game to try and cheer us up. Is used to call all the fans to get them to renew their season tickets and scores with his beard. If he does not win there should be an inquest, as it will be the biggest injustice the world has ever seen. (maybe a little exaggeration there)

Should be an inquest if he does win unless we change POTS to become a popularity contest rather than judged on performances.

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
Blimey, funny how we see games.

He's been slightly better recently, but in the main for me, has been one of the weakest links in the team. All opinions.

yeah, it is weird! i think he has been our most consistent player. he seems to have been told to not get forwards so much by Hughton, but under Hyypia i thought he was probably our best attacking player. he has great feet for a left back. he has been a bit ropey defensively at times, but no more than Calde or Bruno

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just because you're losing....
If somebody can convince me that Calderon has been one of our best players rather than one of our weakest I would be prepared to vote for him. My vote will go to Dunk or Bennett unless Stockdale maintains his improvement for another 8 games then he would come into the reckoning.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Been a poor season with few performances of any merit. Calde is worth a vote for just lifting the spirits. I thought he performed poorly as fullback but his recent move to midfield has been a major factor in our recent upturn in form. There is merit in voting for him.

If I was being more circumspect with my vote Dunk would get my top vote but he has really been poor recently (Derby at home aside).

my third vote would be between Ince, Tex, Bennett.

This is also a good analysis. But, let me upset a few on here. Voting for Calde as PotS makes you nothing but a hopeless romantic with your head in the clouds, entirely detached from what's happened in the pitch this season. No-one can doubt Calde's effort, passion, team play, and so on, but as you say he was poor when played at right-back, has had a decent run which has coincided with -- but no means inspired and instigated -- our decent run of form. For anyone who's really followed us this season might recognise that Nathan Jones has performed similar sorts of qualities as everyone loves Calde for, yet he doesn't really get a mention.

Jimmy Grimble

Not sure how I would feel as a professional footballer being voted player of the season when one of your teammates clearly deserves it ahead of you. Reminds me of when I was young and a lad in our team won parents' player of the season essentially on a combination of a sympathy and romanticist vote. It was just embarrassing for him. Not exactly the same with Calde, but I would imagine it might be a little embarrassing if you win the vote predominantly based on the fact people like you more than anyone else, rather than what you have produced on the pitch in that season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here