Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player Names - Have We Had This Before?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm sure we have, but none spring to mind... With Hinchy and Hinshelwood on the pitch, can anyone think of other examples of a player whose name sounds like a nickname of a team mate

To be clear, I mean a basic shortening and suffix adding of -o, -y etc, not a convoluted "Oh yeah, Lallana once took someone else's shower gel by mistake, they all jokingly accused him of stealing it, so they call him 'Steele' now" type answer.

(edited to correct to 'hinchy')

Last edited:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Not in the same way but JPVH is known as JP. I'd imagine English footballers would call the other JP JP too. So it's quite a confusing squad right now.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I'm sure we have, but none spring to mind... With Hinshy and Hinshelwood on the pitch, can anyone think of other examples of a player whose name sounds like a nickname of a team mate

To be clear, I mean a basic shortening and suffix adding of -o, -y etc, not a convoluted "Oh yeah, Lallana once took someone else's shower gel by mistake, they all jokingly accused him of stealing it, so they call him 'Steele' now" type answer.
It was actually Milner that nicked the shower gel, and is known as Steal. Lallana likes biscuits with his tea and is nicknamed Dunk.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
It confused me! They said 'Hinshy' was coming on & I thought the commentator was not only stooopid, (as he was already on the pitch) but rather cheeky for using 'nicknames' as I assumed he wasn't a supporter. Always good to be able to say 'who' when you support Brighton though! :lolol: I'm bloody sure Peupion was out on loan, where did he suddenly appear from!! 🤷‍♀️

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'm sure we have, but none spring to mind... With Hinshy and Hinshelwood on the pitch, can anyone think of other examples of a player whose name sounds like a nickname of a team mate

His name is Jack Hinchy, not Hinshy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here