Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play steady against Ukraine & get through the group in 2nd or risk a bit more for 1st

Play steady against Ukraine & get through the group in 2nd or risk a bit more for 1st

• Play steady and get through the group in 2nd

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Attack more trying to win the group

Votes: 27 84.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Should England play steady against Ukraine to give us maximum chance of qualifying, albeit in second, or should we play more for the win, by a couple of goals, to try and get first? - don't take this poll as two extremes, one of all out daft attack where we probably lose, and one as dull defense where we don't want to score even when it's easy. The poll is just which side of of the balance between defense and attack should we fall?

Many pundits will say it's all about getting though your group, 1st or 2nd doesn't matter, but I completely disagree. If we finish second, we play Spain next, and get humiliated. Finish first and we'll probably play Italy, with the chance of a memorable victory (our first ever knockout victory against a top team outside on England).

We cocked up in the world cup, finishing second to the USA, then playing Germany instead of Ghana. We did the same in 2002 when drawing our last game against Nigeria 0-0 which put us on course for an afternoon sun quarter final against Brazil (it was obvious at the time we needed to beat Nigeria and meet Turkey in the quarters, then Brazil in an evening semi-final).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Well France will probably hammer Sweden, who are out, so we'd probably have to win 5-0 or so. Out of our hands I reckon.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
Go for the Jugular Ukraine are not great at the counter so we can afford to have an extra attacking option in midfield.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Really? I've watched every match so far and had no idea they'd won their group. I must have missed that.
Yes they did, pay attention.

Obviously their group finishes before ours and if, by some miracle, they don't win their group, I'd change the priorities of our game.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
anything to avoid spain.

they would tear us apart for fun.

What?! ???

I know England aren't exactly 'class' but Spain haven't been anything special so far. Yes a big win to the Republic, not really a big feat though.
Spain have been just about average for me so far. All the pressure is on them.

By some miracle, they don't win their group, I'd change the priorities of our game.

It's probable Spain will win their group however I wouldn't write off Croatia.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well France will probably hammer Sweden, who are out, so we'd probably have to win 5-0 or so. Out of our hands I reckon.
Maybe, but we'll know that as the game goes on, and Roy can adapt based on that. Sweden will still be playing for pride.

anything to avoid spain.

they would tear us apart for fun.
This!

Never ever play for a draw.
It's not so much deliberately starting out wanting a draw that worries me, it's accepting a draw when there's 15 minutes left, or settling for a 1-0 win (assuming France are not thrashing Sweden). It's striking the right balance, and I think that balance should be trying to win by a couple to avoid Spain.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I'm not sure I fancy playing Italy any more than I fancy playing Spain to be honest, so it probably doesn't matter. Play for the win though, simply because (as others have said) playing for a draw rarely works.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Play for the win though, simply because (as others have said) playing for a draw rarely works.
According to our team, we played against France for a win. We did take the lead, but the mentality on the field was, understandably, a draw will do. For me, that would be option 1 in the poll, ie, standard steady mentality. But we need to be more positive than that in my opinion, even if it risks losing the game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Play very tight at the back so as not to concede a goal and rely on getting a winner ourselves which we are well capable of.
That's option 1, yet no one has voted for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here