Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play Paddy FFS!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You'd forgotten that he played well at Leeds, picked up an ankle injury & was subbed?

I think that that was his one game for us this season. He played at the same stage last year then disappeared from the first team squad.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
If he's not fit enough for 90 minutes, why do you think he would be more effective in the last 30 minutes than he would be in the first 50 or 60? Your argument just doesn't add up. Stick him on from the start - if he's out of puff by the time we're two or three up, what would be your problem?

Because he's be playing against TIRED players. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
I'm sure Sami is reading this and taking notes as we speak.

I sit within earshot of sami at amex, And i felt quite strange/guilty/bad after shouting!. "GET HIM OFF" (aimed at tex) then 3 mins later he gets subbed for Paddy!.

I know its coincidence but, That's the last time i show passion at the amex!. :lolol:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
That might apply to Kaz, who is all about speed and racing past players with tired legs. Doesn't apply to McCourt though.

How do you figure? Fatigue applies to the mind as well as the body so tired defenders going up against a tactician like Paddy are going to be just as prone to get beaten or make mistakes even if Paddy can't breeze past them and has to use his technical ability and passing skills instead.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How do you figure? Fatigue applies to the mind as well as the body so tired defenders going up against a tactician like Paddy are going to be just as prone to get beaten or make mistakes even if Paddy can't breeze past them and has to use his technical ability and passing skills instead.

Technical ability. Passing skills.

Exactly - that's what makes the opposition players tired. Save Kaz for the 10 minute impact sub role.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
I would advocate a change of formation particularly with JFC unavailable
4 2 3 1 instead of 2 5 2 1
and yes paddy would be my first choice of the 3 attacking midfielders
with Ince alongside holla as the 2

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And who would be the third of the three, after Paddy and Tex?

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013

even keeping current system paddy would be my first choice of the
attacking 2 inside forwards we have been playing .Colunga has been a bit
disappointing if baldock and CMS injured maybe he should have a chance up top
with either Lua Lua or tex starting alongside paddy with the other
coming on as sub

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
On current form Lua Lua but colunga and JFC are options.
who knows when Solly will be ready

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Technical ability. Passing skills.

Exactly - that's what makes the opposition players tired. Save Kaz for the 10 minute impact sub role.

Yes they make players tired but those traits are also far more affective against tired players.That's the point I'm trying to make. Paddy is more likely to produce bits of magic when the defense are tired than when they are fresh. Let the likes of Tex, JFC and Colunga, all fitter players, tire the defence out with their passing and movement on and off the ball and then bring Paddy and Kaz on to cause havoc with their vision, skill and Kaz's speed when the opposition are physically and mentally exhausted.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes they make players tired but those traits are also far more affective against tired players.That's the point I'm trying to make. Paddy is more likely to produce bits of magic when the defense are tired than when they are fresh. Let the likes of Tex, JFC and Colunga, all fitter players, tire the defence out with their passing and movement on and off the ball and then bring Paddy and Kaz on to cause havoc with their vision, skill and Kaz's speed when the opposition are physically and mentally exhausted.
At the end of the day, everybody plays better against tired opposition!

Trouble is, if you leave your best players on the bench so they can come on against tired players, by playing your not so good players from the start you are conceding an advantage to the opposition and the game might have gone by the time you bring your subs on. And teams who are winning never seem to be as tired as teams who are losing...........

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
At the end of the day, everybody plays better against tired opposition!

Trouble is, if you leave your best players on the bench so they can come on against tired players, by playing your not so good players from the start you are conceding an advantage to the opposition and the game might have gone by the time you bring your subs on. And teams who are winning never seem to be as tired as teams who are losing...........

Perhaps but I would argue you are also conceding an advantage by starting a player that will have to be subbed at half time or shortly after. By starting any unfit player you are putting yourself on the back foot because that player will have to come off and pretty early too. Unless Paddy can handle 60 minutes he should be on the bench IMO.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Perhaps but I would argue you are also conceding an advantage by starting a player that will have to be subbed at half time or shortly after. By starting any unfit player you are putting yourself on the back foot because that player will have to come off and pretty early too. Unless Paddy can handle 60 minutes he should be on the bench IMO.
Yes, the expectation would be for Paddy to do 60 minutes - 45 at the very least. If he's not fit enough to make it to half time, I'd agree with you about not starting him - but I don't think that's the case. He's not carrying any injuries, is he?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here