"Play if fit" clauses

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading Posh

Sophisticated rhetorician
Jul 8, 2003
Off M4 J11
Do they really exist, has anyone seen such a clause?

Or are they an urban myth pedalled by disgruntled football fans to explain why some dozy fuckers, who can't tie their own bootlaces, always get a game?

:)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Didn't Darren Anderton have a clause in his contract that he weas only paid if he played. Suddenly he lost his sick note tag and played.

Towards the end of his Tottenham days David Howells was nicknamed Tampax for obvious reasons.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
A lot of loan deals have them, especially for younger players as the loaning club wants them to get first team experience rather than just rot in the loanee's reserves. The loan of Carlton Cole from Chelsea to Charlton, for instance, included a clause that Carlton had to feature in a minimum percentage of games when fit. Which would have been fine if he hadn't turned out to be so damned useless.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
urban myth i reckon. i dont believe any manager would allow themselves to be put int the position where they *have* to play someone, no matter how shite they are. Not to say they wont be feature in the future the way big name players are lording it up.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I wonder what clause Kitson was signed on. A rest your bottle and glass on the treatment table for £3000 per week clause from what one can tell. By the way, Posh lad, still looking forward to next season with Fat Baz?:drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports