Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play for the Albion or Man u?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I don't believe you. Nothing against you personally, but I don't think any footballer has ever done that. If you were England's best player, and Brighton were a league 1 side with no money paying you £5k a week, while Manure were offering Brighton a very useful £50m to buy you, and offering you £300k a week, you'd be off.

It's funny how fans always think they'd be different, but when fans turn out to be great footballers, suddenly they're not different, and they go where the money is.

EDIT. I don't believe you either :)
I'd give anything for a nice house in Brighton. I'm looking to buy in Newhaven as I can't afford it. I've no interest in moving up north at all, cool thought Manchester is.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd give anything for a nice house in Brighton. I'm looking to buy in Newhaven as I can't afford it. I've no interest in moving up north at all, cool thought Manchester is.
I understand that. But when we find out your the world's most gifted footballer, your life will change. You will train every day with footballers, and you'll mix with the rich and famous - so many of your friends will be rich and famous, and you'll want to hang out with them. And they'll be earning £200k a week, and showing you all the nice things they've bought. And when you go on holiday, and are recognised by everyone on the street, you may want your own villa, or to stay somewhere slightly more exclusive than the riff raff. And when you fly off to Monaco for the weekend, you'll want to take your old mates that can't afford it, so you'll buy them tickets too. You'll realise you don't have to choose between the Lamborghini and the Ferrari, you can have them both.

The fact is, there must be loads of people like you, that don't want for more than £5k a week, and to play for their team. But every single time one of those people turns out to be great at football, they go where the money is. Tell me of 1 British player that hasn't, and I'll retract my view.

Has anyone actually read these numbers? ???
Yes. He forgot to remove the K. I couldn't be bothered to say.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Since I'd cheerfully play for the Albion for nothing, no amount of money on offer from that lot would make me choose Man U ahead of Brighton.

It'd be nice to have the talent to be considered for either, though - my career was cut tragically short by being absolutely terrible at football. :down:

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I understand that. But when we find out your the world's most gifted footballer, your life will change. You will train every day with footballers, and you'll mix with the rich and famous - so many of your friends will be rich and famous, and you'll want to hang out with them. And they'll be earning £200k a week, and showing you all the nice things they've bought. And when you go on holiday, and are recognised by everyone on the street, you may want your own villa, or to stay somewhere slightly more exclusive than the riff raff. And when you fly off to Monaco for the weekend, you'll want to take your old mates that can't afford it, so you'll buy them tickets too. You'll realise you don't have to choose between the Lamborghini and the Ferrari, you can have them both.

The fact is, there must be loads of people like you, that don't want for more than £5k a week, and to play for their team. But every single time one of those people turns out to be great at football, they go where the money is. Tell me of 1 British player that hasn't, and I'll retract my view.

Yes. He forgot to remove the K. I couldn't be bothered to say.

Roy Race ...Melchester Rovers! But I really can't think of another :smile:

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I don't believe you. Nothing against you personally, but I don't think any footballer has ever done that. If you were England's best player, and Brighton were a league 1 side with no money paying you £5k a week, while Manure were offering Brighton a very useful £50m to buy you, and offering you £300k a week, you'd be off.

It's funny how fans always think they'd be different, but when fans turn out to be great footballers, suddenly they're not different, and they go where the money is.

EDIT. I don't believe you either :)

I see your point, however I was answering with my current mindset. I am most definitely not the best footballer in the world and doubt I would ever have the commitment to become a great. I reckon if I had talent I would be committed enough and always give 100% but probably not world class.

At this moment in time I would take the Albion, however if I was amazing and united offered Albion loads that could build a quality side and give me some money then you are probably right and I'd go.

Then, when my contract has run out and the Albion are challenging for Europe after investing money from my sale wisely I would then come back to a heroes welcome.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Le Tissier?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
300K per week or
42857K per day or
1785K per hour or
£29 per minute or
49p per second.

£42,857,000 a DAY? Where do I sign? :jester:

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I can't believe some of the stuff people are writing. If Man United were offering you 300k a week, no one turns that down unless you're 100% committed to a club. If Brighton were struggling in the lower depths of league 1, and a top Premiership team wants you, you will not say no. As much as you love something, sometimes it's best to let it go.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Do it how Chadwick did it, play for Man U (or any of the big clubs) for a few seasons, then as I age and am not as good so can't command a higher wage, come and finish my career playing for Brighton.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
As a terrible footballer, I'd hate to be on the pitch for the Seagulls because I'd let the side down. I would, however, happily take the Glazer's money for being rubbish.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
A footballers dream is to play for one of the top clubs in the country/world - you would never turn that down.

Luke Chadwick may only be saying this because if I recall at United, he wasnt very good.

Oct 25, 2003
If I was good enough to play for Man U, then I'd rather use my talents to heroically drag the Albion into the Premier League. I'd play for them for, say, 10 years, demanding the captaincy after cementing myself in David Beckhams England squad.

I'd really struggle to play AGAINST the Albion so after becoming a grade A hero in the stripes I'd move abroad, turning into somewhat of an international JOURNEYMAN.

In the twilight of my career I'd return to the Amex (or "Turienzo's Lovechild ArenA") as player-manager- AND WIN THE BLOODY CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

So, to answer the original question- no I wouldn't play for Man U

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I can't believe some of the stuff people are writing. If Man United were offering you 300k a week, no one turns that down unless you're 100% committed to a club. If Brighton were struggling in the lower depths of league 1, and a top Premiership team wants you, you will not say no. As much as you love something, sometimes it's best to let it go.

I wouldn't want to play rugby.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
People who are good enough at football to play for Man Utd don't usually support a team anyway, as they've spent every Saturday since they were 5 playing a high standard of football, rather than watching it.

I can't understand anyone who would rather play for Brighton than Man Utd. If you're good enough, why would you not want to play at the top level? If it's a choice of sitting on the bench at Utd or playing every game for Brighton then it's a different story.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If you were good enough to play for Manchester United, you'd probably have your pick of teams, so you could play for a less obnoxious club instead.

(Obviously not at the moment, of course. Your ceiling would probably be Southampton.)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Le Tissier?

Unfortunately,if he had played for a so called big club,he, as one of the most gifted players of his generation, he would have got a lot more caps than the rather pitiful eight that he actually got. The England team should have been built around him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here