Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Plans to close rail ticket offices in England scrapped

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Transport Secretary Mark Harper said the government had asked train operators to withdraw their proposals because they failed to meet high passenger standards.

However, a source told the BBC rail bosses were "furious", saying the original plans had been approved by the Department for Transport.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Transport Secretary Mark Harper said the government had asked train operators to withdraw their proposals because they failed to meet high passenger standards.

However, a source told the BBC rail bosses were "furious", saying the original plans had been approved by the Department for Transport.

Good 👍

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
wait, so the consultation was actually consultation, and not a predetermined schedule of closures?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Great news (of no action), vulnerable people very much need them. R4 You & Yours covered this in detail.
Not just the vulnerable. Had an issue collecting our rail tickets for Wolves away as the ticket machine wouldn't read the card I'd paid with. Lady at the ticket office sorted it out straight away. We talked about the closures and she did point out to me the irony that offices were being shut because people were buying online, and she'd just fixed a problem with my online tickets.

I'd only got them online because I 'split' them making them a lot cheaper. They can do that too at a manned ticket office. I didn't know but have since bought rail tickets in person where I can.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Great news (of no action), vulnerable people very much need them. R4 You & Yours covered this in detail.
Visually impaired people had problems with ticket machines, so using the Disability Access as part of the protest helped, plus it helped wheelchair users because it meant small stations had someone nearby.
There was a huge response online, protesting about the closures. Photos every day of different locations showing a queue at ticket offices, proving that people did need a personal touch rather than machines, which, more often than not, were broken anyway.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
This is what you get off machines. I tried to use my Railcard to get a couple of bob off a return to Three Bridges.

IMG_2520.jpeg

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Sanity prevails.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Excellent news - but I'd prefer it if the rail companies had been told, not just asked. Wouldn't be surprised if half the time rail companies just said terribly sorry, we just haven't got the staff today/staff sickness, etc.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Excellent news - but I'd prefer it if the rail companies had been told, not just asked. Wouldn't be surprised if half the time rail companies just said terribly sorry, we just haven't got the staff today/staff sickness, etc.
This is all a government sham. The rail companies only did any of this because they were instructed to by Government and DFT during Covid to recover industry losses. As soon as its (shock horror) become clearly unpopular with the public with an election on the horizon the minister has thrown the operators under the bus and u turned. The government are currently funding the entire railway and taking the revenue. Everything rail companies currently do is by permission or instruction of the DFT/gov.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
This is all a government sham. The rail companies only did any of this because they were instructed to by Government and DFT during Covid to recover industry losses. As soon as its (shock horror) become clearly unpopular with the public with an election on the horizon the minister has thrown the operators under the bus and u turned. The government are currently funding the entire railway and taking the revenue. Everything rail companies currently do is by permission or instruction of the DFT/gov.
Spot on!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Surely not? Nationalisation by proxy on the watch of the hardest right government we've ever had? My, what a bunch of lying hypocrites they must be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here