Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Planes, trains & coaches -- 1st trip to UK and Brighton, April-May 2023

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
Pre-book one with a fixed fare. Plenty of options if you search ‘gatwick airport taxis’ or similar that will meet you off your flight. If you’re going directly from the airport to the Amex it’s only the last 1km or so that’s a bit slow as you won’t go anywhere near Brighton anyway.

Ah, good idea, that! Only problem is that even if I flew over with only my backpack, I'd still have to drop it off at the hotel, first, as the stadium authorities wouldn't let me through. But then the M25 shuttles at Old Steine come around fairly frequently and use bus- and taxi-only lanes, don't they?

Quebec Seagull

Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
You know, I'm seriously wondering whether I should simply try to make a Friday, April 28 arrival happen, just to be on the safe side. If everything goes well, then I'll have the pleasure of exploring Brighton more fully, at a more leisurely pace. 🚶‍♂️......... . . . . . . . . . . . . .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ah, good idea, that! Only problem is that even if I flew over with only my backpack, I'd still have to drop it off at the hotel, first, as the stadium authorities wouldn't let me through. But then the M25 shuttles at Old Steine come around fairly frequently and use bus- and taxi-only lanes, don't they?

Sorry, read your post in that you were going directly to the ground……no idea re Brighton buses, will leave that to others !

Quebec Seagull

Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
Apologies if you need to repeat yourself but why did you choose to follow Brighton? What’s the connection? Very good choice btw.

Connections are the following:
  1. Ottawa is not a big or respected city in Canada, despite being its capital. It is overshadowed by Montréal (2 hrs away) and Toronto (4 hrs away).
  2. Our professional sports teams are also sneered at by our bigger brothers : small budgets, no superstars, treading water for years before achieving a fleeting period of decency and respectability in play and standings.
  3. I was a neutral for several years, not really looking to become a fan of one club, until I started noticing plucky little Brighton improving incrementally with positive football and overachieving, relatively speaking, despite its modest means.
  4. Our fan bases are eerily similar:
    • We don't fill up the stands or arena in lean times.
    • The fans often sit sombrely for long periods instead of cheering on our boys.
    • Opposition fans can make up a large chunk of game-day attendance.
    • When the good times come, we wonder how soon it will fall apart again ("This run can't last, can it?")
    • Your fans worry about relegation; our fans worry about our teams folding or moving to another city.
So to sum up: fans in both cities are somewhat permanently insecure underdogs, and our teams can only succeed, for a time, through shrewd scouting, recruiting and spending.

... And your kits are gear! :cool: (y)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
  1. Ottawa is not a big or respected city in Canada, despite being its capital. It is overshadowed by Montréal (2 hrs away) and Toronto (4 hrs away).
  2. Our professional sports teams are also sneered at by our bigger brothers : small budgets, no superstars, treading water for years before achieving a fleeting period of decency and respectability in play and standings.
  3. I was a neutral for several years, not really looking to become a fan of one club, until I started noticing plucky little Brighton improving incrementally with positive football and overachieving, relatively speaking, despite its modest means.
    • When the good times come, we wonder how soon it will fall apart again ("This run can't last, can it?")
    • Your fans worry about relegation; our fans worry about our teams folding or moving to another city.
So to sum up: fans in both cities are somewhat permanently insecure underdogs, and our teams can only succeed, for a time, through shrewd scouting, recruiting and spending.

Plan your trip to the minute and disappointment surely awaits, barring a miracle. We're not all negative for the sake of it. UK transport is broken and we all pathetically just accept that as the way things are. My advice would be to book a cab at LGW to drop your stuff off at hotel and then the same cab drops yourself off somewhere near the Amex. You'll prob spend a pathetically long time doing the couple of miles back into Brighton after the game unless you leave at half-time but - hey! - you'll at least have seen the stripes in action :thumbsup:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Hello everyone! I'm planning a 2-week trip to North Wales and London, and would like to spend several days in Brighton for the April 29 and May 6 home fixtures (assuming the coronation doesn't louse up the schedule).

My plane would be landing in Gatwick April 29 at 10:45 am. I figure I'll disembark between 11:00 and 11:15, spend another 30 mins at customs, 20 mins to pick up my suitcase at the carousel, 15 mins to get to South Terminal, 30-40 mins to ride the train to Brighton, 30 mins to check into the hotel, then a 10-min walk to the Old Steine bus stop (F, I think it is) to take the shuttle to the Amex at around 2:00.

Question: is this a likely scenario? Are these assumptions reasonable, or should I not even bother buying a ticket to the match because I may miss most or all of the match?

Thanks in advance for your help. Hey, maybe some of us can meet at a pub for a pint! :cool:

Assuming you are a Canadian national, you can go directly through the automated gates when you reach the border. With a bit of luck, this might mean no queuing time to speak off for the border/customs phase of your plan.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thanks. I get it! Welcome aboard!

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Hello everyone! I'm planning a 2-week trip to North Wales and London, and would like to spend several days in Brighton for the April 29 and May 6 home fixtures (assuming the coronation doesn't louse up the schedule).

My plane would be landing in Gatwick April 29 at 10:45 am. I figure I'll disembark between 11:00 and 11:15, spend another 30 mins at customs, 20 mins to pick up my suitcase at the carousel, 15 mins to get to South Terminal, 30-40 mins to ride the train to Brighton, 30 mins to check into the hotel, then a 10-min walk to the Old Steine bus stop (F, I think it is) to take the shuttle to the Amex at around 2:00.

Question: is this a likely scenario? Are these assumptions reasonable, or should I not even bother buying a ticket to the match because I may miss most or all of the match?

Thanks in advance for your help. Hey, maybe some of us can meet at a pub for a pint! :cool:

It is a likely scenario and your assumptions are reasonable but my advice would be to fly in the day before. Ask me how I know...

tronnogull

May 17, 2010

Hmm.......very happy for anyone to support the Albion for any reason. But please keep plucky to yourself........

Quebec Seagull

Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
It is a likely scenario and your assumptions are reasonable but my advice would be to fly in the day before. Ask me how I know...

Speaking of travelling, I'm headed down to Cornwall this afternoon in the middle of this damned snowstorm. I heard they closed the 417 between you and Hawkesbury... I hope the road's not too bad from Ottawa to Casselman, but I do fear the worst on the 138.

Be safe this weekend! :)

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Speaking of travelling, I'm headed down to Cornwall this afternoon in the middle of this damned snowstorm. I heard they closed the 417 between you and Hawkesbury... I hope the road's not too bad from Ottawa to Casselman, but I do fear the worst on the 138.

Be safe this weekend! :)

Trains are also up shit creek!
Is the 138 the one that goes past Cumberland and Rockland? Check out Black Walnut if so!

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Re the opening post. Also be aware that West Jet and Air Canada seem to still be finding their feet (wings?) post-covid. Air Canada changed our departure date (and route) twice when we went to the UK last year.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Thank you, everyone, for your feedback. It looks like my best bet would be to fly in on Friday the 28. I'm not sure I can push back the start of my trip a day earlier, though. I guess I'll just hope that the May 6 tie is rescheduled on a date that's convenient for me. 🤞🍀

Yes, I think that would be best. If you land in the morning you’ll have plenty of time to get to an evening ko if the match has been moved to a Friday. If the match isn’t on Friday, you’ll have the added benefit of being able to experience the cultural delights of West Street on a Friday night.

Quebec Seagull

Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
Re the opening post. Also be aware that West Jet and Air Canada seem to still be finding their feet (wings?) post-covid. Air Canada changed our departure date (and route) twice when we went to the UK last year.

Air Transat. And I'll be flying in on Friday the 28th, after all. (y)

The kids and I took Air Canada for our summer trip to Paris, and everything went without a hitch and in a timely manner.

Last edited:

Quebec Seagull

Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
Trains are also up shit creek!
Is the 138 the one that goes past Cumberland and Rockland? Check out Black Walnut if so!

The 138 runs from Casselman to Cornwall.

We left Gatineau in fine enough weather, but it got worse and worse as we drove through Embrun and Limoges. After that, we started seeing numerous 18-wheelers and cars in ditches, so everyone slowed down to 40 kph and turned on their blinkers -- Friday night's freezing rain had of course turned into black ice when the temp dropped to -20 C, and the fresh snow covering the ice and blowing in at 90 kph reduced visibility to virtually nil and made driving treacherous (even for us normally blasé, snow-tyred Canadians!).

Soon after, the line of cars came to a screeching halt. Surprised, I quickly applied the brakes and zig-zagged before coming to a stop. About 30 seconds later, a white sedan rammed into my right fender and ricocheted into the ditch -- someone had rear-ended him quite hard. Unfortunately, there was nowhere for me to pull over -- the shoulder was just a miles-long snowdrift, so we continued to crawl along for another half-hour.

For the next 30 minutes, 10-second white-outs happened every 100 yards or so -- I couldn't see the road at all, or even the lights of the car 30 feet in front of me. Then, just a couple of hundred yards from the 417 exit to the 138, we idled for an hour, the news was that a very serious accident had occurred near the overpass. Just before traffic finally started moving again, a posse of police cars and large pick-up trucks with electronic arrows on top blocked the exit. The policemen got out, and some of them came to each of our cars. Mine asked me if I planned on taking the 138. I answered yes, and he replied that it was closed -- there were dozens of accidents along the entire 40-km stretch.

-- Where are you headed?
-- Cornwall.
-- Where are you coming from?
-- Gatineau.
-- Well, you'd better head back home, because all the roads between the 417 and Old Highway 2, from here to the border, are closed on account of accidents.

So we (my 4 kids, a friend and her daughter) drove on to the Maxville exit and turned around. Road conditions and visibility were still extremely poor (for those who don't know, it's dark here at 4 pm, and our highways are not lit AT ALL [much too expensive given the distances]), such that even the salt trucks and snow ploughs still wouldn't risk coming out. As a result, our speed varied from 5 to 25 kph for a looooong time. In any case, it was 6 hours of sheer hell. I missed Christmas with my folks and my sister's family; I've got a smashed rear bumper and am not sure the insurance will cover the cost to repair it; I blew half a tank of gas driving a total of 120 km; and I ache all over from hours of clenched upper-body muscles, lol. Never again -- I'm too old for this sort of prolonged, heart attack-inducing stress!

Last edited:

Quebec Seagull

Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
Hello again! I'm flying in to Gatwick, Friday morning. Finally decided to extend my trip a few days so that I can, among other things, take in the matches vs Wolves and Toffees. :ascarf:

I'll have roughly a day-and-a-half to do some sightseeing in Brighton before leaving for Snowdonia the morning of the 30th. Any recommendations beyond the Pier, the Pavilion, the beach..? I've been fortunate in life to have spent years living and travelling in dozens of countries, so I personally prefer sites and activities off the beaten track. I've looked at this (https://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/brighton-eng-es-brighton.htm) and this (https://www.visitbrighton.com/things-to-do/attractions) for ideas. What would you suggest? And which shops and restaurants might be of particular interest?

Thank you for your help and cheers!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hello again! I'm flying in to Gatwick, Friday morning. Finally decided to extend my trip a few days so that I can, among other things, take in the matches vs Wolves and Toffees. :ascarf:

I'll have roughly a day-and-a-half to do some sightseeing in Brighton before leaving for Snowdonia the morning of the 30th. Any recommendations beyond the Pier, the Pavilion, the beach..? I've been fortunate in life to have spent years living and travelling in dozens of countries, so I personally prefer sites and activities off the beaten track. I've looked at this (https://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/brighton-eng-es-brighton.htm) and this (https://www.visitbrighton.com/things-to-do/attractions) for ideas. What would you suggest? And which shops and restaurants might be of particular interest?

Thank you for your help and cheers!

Couple of options perhaps...........

A walk on the South Downs ? Devil's Dyke for example not far away, and there's a pub. Fabulous views of Sussex

Knepp Estate rewilding project

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've no idea what you like but here is a walking guide I give to the tourists who visit my shop. This all depends on where you're staying and who you are with.
Brighton Lanes. The old original cobble stoned streets. Worth a look, they can be found between Prince Albert St & North St.
From there head north down Bond St, Gardener St and the pedestrianised Kensington Gardens (this area is the North Laines).
At the end of Kensington Gdns turn around and walk back. At Church St turn left and a short way down on your right is New Road. Enter. Here you will see the Dome and Theatre Royal. On your left will be a path down towards the Royal Pavillion. You are at the back of the building. Go to your left to walk around to the front. From here make your way to the Pier & Seafront. There are many small independant coffee shops and cafes to stop along the way. This whole walk could take between 1.5 to 3 hours depending how fast you travel and how many shops you stop in.
There is a hop on hop off bus but to be honest we've nothing to hop off for.
For a stunning view forget the i360, pop up to Devils Dyke. There is a pub up there but nothing else. Check here and look for number 77 https://www.buses.co.uk/April-Updates-2023
For general shopping we have Churchill Square Mall and next to it Western Road. It's the same shops as you will find in any other high street.
Eating and drinking is down to personal taste but we have everything covered. Suggest trip advisor to find something but avoid the nationals, use a local pub and restaurant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here