Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Placement of the ball at corners.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You would rather we had a 50/50 chance of giving the ball away? Bizarre.

Or, to put it another way, a 50/50 chance of scoring a goal, which, afterall, is the point of the game!!!

what is the point of a corner flag?

is it deemed as foul play to remove one before you take a corner?

they are very off putting,considering your supposed to be the team with the advantage

If you didn't have corner flags then there would be occasions when the ball goes out over the painted corner. Is that a corner or a throw in? With the flag, it has to go one side or the other or even bounce back into play.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What drives me more mad is the crowd's ignorant reaction to it, because generally (like with Barton last night) the player is RIGHT.

There was nothing at all wrong with where he put the ball (outside the quadrant, but overhanging the line), but the OUTRAGED crowd, and the petty lino, saw to it that he had to re-position it.

I think most of us know he's right. We just enjoy the panto as other posters have said.

Bet you're right in that some don't know he is right.

I often call for fouls against us when it's clearly a clean tackle. Just playing my role as 12th man. And because I'm doing it, players don't need to rush up in the refs face.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
2 reasons I believe.

1. The paint sometimes flattens the grass a bit meaning if the ball is placed on the other side of the line it is slightly elevated.

2. It is to wind up the crowd. Which, based on the players who normally do it, I believe to be more likely.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not true. Well, not exactly. It does say inside the arc, but it doesn't say that that precludes the ball being on the white line, quite the contrary, it specifically shows a diagram indicating that the ball can be placed on the white line.

A corner kick is a method of restarting play.

A corner kick is awarded when the whole of the ball passes over the goal
line, either on the ground or in the air, having last touched a player of the
defending team, and a goal is not scored in accordance with Law 10.

A goal may be scored directly from a corner kick, but only against the opposing
team.

Procedure
• The ball must be placed inside the corner arc nearest to the point where
the ball crossed the goal line
• The corner fl agpost must not be moved
• Opponents must remain at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the corner arc until
the ball is in play
• The ball must be kicked by a player of the attacking team
• The ball is in play when it is kicked and moves
• The kicker must not play the ball again until it has touched another player

Infringements and sanctions
Corner kick taken by a player other than the goalkeeper

If, after the ball is in play, the kicker touches the ball again (except with his
hands) before it has touched another player:
• an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team, to be taken from the
place where the infringement occurred (see Law 13 – Position of free kick)

If, after the ball is in play, the kicker deliberately handles the ball before it has
touched another player:
• a direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team, to be taken from the
• a penalty kick is awarded if the infringement occurred inside the kicker’s
penalty area

Corner kick taken by the goalkeeper
If, after the ball is in play, the goalkeeper touches the ball again (except with
his hands) before it has touched another player:
• an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team, to be taken from the

If, after the ball is in play, the goalkeeper deliberately handles the ball before it
has touched another player:
• a direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if the infringement
occurred outside the goalkeeper’s penalty area, to be taken from the place
where the infringement occurred (see Law 13 – Position of free kick)
• an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if the infringement
occurred inside the goalkeeper’s penalty area, to be taken from the place
where the infringement occurred (see Law 13 – Position of free kick)

In the event of any other infringement:
• the kick is retaken

Procedures – infringements
Referees are reminded that opponents must remain at least 9.15 m (10 yds)
from the corner arc until the ball is in play (the optional marks off the fi eld
of play may be used for assistance). Where necessary, the referee must warn
any player within this distance before the corner kick is taken and caution the
player if he subsequently fails to retreat to the correct distance.

If the kicker touches the ball a second time before it has touched another
player, an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team in the position
where the second touch occurred (see Law 13 – Position of free kick).

If a player, while correctly taking a corner kick, intentionally kicks the ball at an
opponent in order to play the ball again but neither in a careless nor a reckless
manner nor using excessive force, the referee must allow play to continue.

The ball must be placed inside the corner arc and is in play when it is kicked,
therefore the ball does not need to leave the corner arc to be in play.

The diagram shows some correct and incorrect positions.

View attachment 51957

That's that sorted out then. Next problem, please can you explain how a player who " Clothes lines " a player would get a yellow or red card in open play, but, can do so with impunity in his own penalty area while awaiting the delivery of a corner or free kick ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That's that sorted out then. Next problem, please can you explain how a player who " Clothes lines " a player would get a yellow or red card in open play, but, can do so with impunity in his own penalty area while awaiting the delivery of a corner or free kick ?

Only explanation for that is that the officials are more likely to miss it at a corner because they follow the ball and have upwards of 19* other players to keep an eye (*22 players - the two involved in the incident - player taking the corner)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Only explanation for that is that the officials are more likely to miss it at a corner because they follow the ball and have upwards of 19* other players to keep an eye (*22 players - the two involved in the incident - player taking the corner)

Usually there are 4-6 players usually jostling and "Fending off " each other to a level that would result in a free kick/yellow card/red card in open play. ref: John Terry. Yet, they can't see one ?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
What drives me more mad is the crowd's ignorant reaction to it, because generally (like with Barton last night) the player is RIGHT.

There was nothing at all wrong with where he put the ball (outside the quadrant, but overhanging the line), but the OUTRAGED crowd, and the petty lino, saw to it that he had to re-position it.

Oi! I love shouting Oi! when the ball is placed. It has nothing to do with ignorance or whether the ball is in or out of the segment or whether it has any impact at all, I just like shouting Oi!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
You would rather we had a 50/50 chance of giving the ball away? Bizarre.

A 50/50 chance from a corner, or passing all the way back and have a 100% chance of causing no immediate threat to the opposition.

I have no problem with possession football, but why is it bizarre to think that we should, from a corner, aim for the likes of Upson, Greer, Ulloa and Ince and give the defence something to worry about?

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
i guess as long as the WHOLE of the ball doesn't cross the WHOLE of the line, it is still considered 'in the corner taking area'

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Is it just me that cannot understand why modern day footballers all try and get the ball 1 or 2 inches closer when taking corners? We see it now at every game: player moves ball, crowd goes mental, linesman indicates ball should be moved back, player moves ball half an inch. Repeat the process 3 or 4 times until the corner eventually gets taken.

Do they really need the ball 1 inch closer to the goal for their cross to be effective?

Drives me mad it does.

they do to wind the crowd up!!!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Absolutely. Again if 1 mm of the ball from a vertical angle is overlapping the line (not touching) it is infact FAIR! Id love to do some photo examples of this to show just how far that ball could be 'out' the quadrant visually but can't be arsed. Even the officials often react to the crowd and get it WRONG.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think it's about interpretation and the accepted interpretation that is universally applied now.

"Whole ball over the line", nor much to interpret there. But simply "over the line" - isn't clear.

"Inside the arc" isn't either. In fact any part of the ball over hanging the outside of the white line that determines the arc is a very generous interpretation of "inside".

"Any part of the ball inside" - that's clearer.

So a bit harsh to have a pop at fans who apparently don't "understand the rules". What they may not know is the current interpretation. They aren't always widely communicated outside of clubs and referees and they change.

"Last man" has become "clear goalscoring opportunity". Pundits are constantly getting that wrong.

What I find very very odd is the variance that referees allow to where a free kick or throw in to be taken.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here