Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PL looking abroad again

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Hull City owner made an interesting comment the other day. He said in the Championship, attendance revenue was 60% of the clubs total income. In the Premiership it is 7% (with full attendance) The rest is made up from SKY/BT. So attendances / ticket prices are not the main concern of Premier League clubs.

I know that but that Sky revenue would continue whether Hull played in Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai or Hull.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I can't see it being the big cash cow some people think it could be. Matches are already show live around the world for which TV companies pay a fortune.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I've been thinking about that just now. If you're a team like Arsenal with 60,000 gates and you move to, say, Indonesia to a stadium with perhaps 80,000, are you going to recoup your costs? You're not going to charge anything like UK prices.

The only way it would work would be to play in the US, Japan or S Korea where clubs could charge decent money. Even then, I'm not wholly convinced that the rewards would be that great after costs are taken into account.

It's not about match day profit and a few million here or there.

It's about extending the brand - the clubs' and the BPL as a whole. More interest/demand overseas = (much) more money for international rights

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Easily managed though. You don't have to fixture Liverpool v Chelsea and Burnley v Hull do you? they're not stupid.

Chelsea v Hull
Liverpool v Burnley
United v Palace
City v Stoke
Arsenal v QPR
Spurs v blah blah

All sell out, no problem.

But doing this would take out the so called random fixtures their computer churns out each year.
I personally think the money will be in each club selling their own internet TV rights, which must come soon.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
They'd probably just play all their games abroad

Quite.

I don't think "just cancel your Sky sub" is effective protest anymore. So much money is coming from elsewhere now, and if it wasn't Sky it'd be someone else.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Said it before and I'll say it again.

I wish the MASSIVE teams (Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Leeds and Pompey) would hurry up and join their European Superleague and leave football to the rest of us mere mortals.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's not about match day profit and a few million here or there.

It's about extending the brand - the clubs' and the BPL as a whole. More interest/demand overseas = (much) more money for international rights

Yes, I was thinking that just now. As I said, I think most would make a small loss on each game but the potential advertising is enormous.

The other revenue stream is selling a TV stream to your own fans. If you're a Hull fan not prepared to travel to KL, you'd be happy to pay £10 to watch the match (and it you're not happy then you're just not a fan, right?) - nice little earner

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Cancel your Sky subs. Turnstyle money is chicken feed compared to TV money.

While its a nice thought, the plastic armchair fans of the "big 4" who have never set foot in Old Trafford, Anfield or The Emirates will still flock to worship Jeff Stelling and "Kammy" for the "epic bantz". I bloody hate that type of fan, yet they are the ones who, ironically, generate the cash for the self fulfilling prophecy that is the Premier League.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If they took the PL to America for a weekend, they could televise all ten fixtures at venues from East to West coast. Kickoffs at 12.00, 2.00, 4.00, 6.00, and 8.00 on Saturday, and then the same all over again on Sunday. Just put the shitty ones (Palace v West Brom, Hull v Stoke etc) as the later kickoffs, so that Europe can catch the big games from the early evening onwards. East coast is only 5 hours behind GMT.

I'm going to email Richard.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes, I was thinking that just now. As I said, I think most would make a small loss on each game but the potential advertising is enormous.

There is literally no chance that they'd lose money on the game. The PL would sell the right to host each match, using the model that the F1 use to sell each Grand Prix. The enormous bids from China and Qatar, etc for these rights will handsomely repay the clubs for any lost matchday revenue.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I watched some of the Raiders/Dolphins game and it was clear that, despite the Raiders being designated the Home team, the more 'famous' Dolphins got the greater support (and therefore a greater revenue from merchandising!).

Which is why I'm supporting the Jaguars. Designated as the home team but last year faced the 49ers and this year the Cowboys, both teams with big support over here. The Jags may be shit but they have my sympathy support.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
One possible scenario from this would be having the knock-on effect of weakening the England team still further.

Clubs are under no moral nor contractural obligation to field English players, and the main thing which stops them fielding more of the best players from across the world is funding. Even in the Premier League. It will mean clubs being able to afford the best players over and above even what Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich etc can afford, with the trickle down of the players going to the likes of Stoke City, QPR, West Brom etc.

Easily managed though. You don't have to fixture Liverpool v Chelsea and Burnley v Hull do you? they're not stupid.

Chelsea v Hull
Liverpool v Burnley
United v Palace
City v Stoke
Arsenal v QPR
Spurs v blah blah

All sell out, no problem.

That's way before any consideration of the fans (which may not come into consideration at all). But using this example above, there is no way Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. will sacrifice a home match for the sake of this move, so the lesser fodder in this division will be asked - sorry, told - to do so.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Its a shit idea.

But it makes me laugh how some of the same people love the idea of the NFL playing in London but are dead against this idea, which is basically the same.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Yes, but that's not what's being proposed - it's for all the teams to do it and I can't see many of the others being a glamour draw

Really? I should have read the whole article. Doh!. In that case I agree It would be difficult to see it working. Although the NFL have sent over some terrible sides and got away with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here