Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] PL begins fixture plans for 2022 World Cup.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That is an EXTREMELY* pessimistic outlook.

*you did realise that the Championship is also planning to stop for the World Cup...?

I think the League 1 games of Portsmouth and Sunderland were also postponed! If Scotland were to qualify there would be League 2 and Conference games impacted!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Or they will go on tour of the Far East or USA....

Or to help the Championship clubs survive the period when they will have zero income how about a premier league/championship set of mini leagues, regionally based, cheap ticket prices, cumulating in a knockout phase with a final at Spurs ground. Get a TV company who haven't got world cup rights involved.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The amount of faff going on to accommodate this farce is laughable.

I'm boycotting it entirely.

Really though mate, are you? If you have the will-power to genuinely boycott an entire world cup you're a better man than me

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Or to help the Championship clubs survive the period when they will have zero income how about a premier league/championship set of mini leagues, regionally based, cheap ticket prices, cumulating in a knockout phase with a final at Spurs ground. Get a TV company who haven't got world cup rights involved.

I would not be shocked to see a cup set up to mirror it as you say, unless FIFA plan to compensate for loss of earnings.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
It's a shorter world cup than the last one. That went from the 14/06 to the 15/07, 32 days. This world cup is only 28 days. That suggests more matches per day and fewer rest days at the end. That's not going to go well with the Christmas fixtures straight after.

Mind you, I guess there's not going to be so much travelling time required.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Really though mate, are you? If you have the will-power to genuinely boycott an entire world cup you're a better man than me

I am.

Though, being totally honest, it helps that I don't have more than a passing interest in international football.

I usually watch the World Cup because it's football and it's on. Not this one though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I am.

Though, being totally honest, it helps that I don't have more than a passing interest in international football.

I usually watch the World Cup because it's football and it's on. Not this one though.

So England make the World Cup Final (however unlikely) but you'll be out walking the dog ?

Chinny.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Have it as a re-formatting of the league cup and fit it to this schedule. Most of the players are reserves and kids anyway.

Lower level teams can qualify to get to the 'group' stages and play games accordingly.

Free up mid-weeks earlier in the season to play the league games.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I don't have a dog, so no.

Believe what you want but I shan't be watching any of it.

If we do get to The FIFA (Sponsored by Mastercard) World (More clubs entered due to significant incentives to FIFA Members) Cup (Sorry about all the health & safety deaths, please ignore that) Final then could you take my dog for a walk please?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
If we do get to The FIFA (Sponsored by Mastercard) World (More clubs entered due to significant incentives to FIFA Members) Cup (Sorry about all the health & safety deaths, please ignore that) Final then could you take my dog for a walk please?

:clap: Sure thing Tim!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
If it was up to me, the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga would tell Fifa to do one and continue as normal. Players could then decide whether to prop up a corrupt organisation that is capable of awarding its main competition to a wholly unsuitable host such as Qatar, or play for the people who pay their considerable wages.

So you won't be covering this WC then and just reporting on league 2 football?

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
it will be great - xmas do's + footy matches on the telly 3 a day
qatar are 3 hrs ahead so games on at 6pm 8pm 10pm ?

1st half of the season - big teams using international players for every game / top players half protecting themseleves - mixed results
World cup - some big players out injured - mixed results
2nd half of the season - some big players out injured - more mixed results

and what about the transfer window ?

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Perhaps the second div. And non league clubs will see an opportunity to encourage fans to visit their local clubs while top football is suspended? With marketing and media support, they could win new fans.

it will be great - xmas do's + footy matches on the telly 3 a day
qatar are 3 hrs ahead so games on at 6pm 8pm 10pm ?

1st half of the season - big teams using international players for every game / top players half protecting themseleves - mixed results
World cup - some big players out injured - mixed results
2nd half of the season - some big players out injured - more mixed results

and what about the transfer window ?
3pm in Qatar might still be too hot.
Surely it's significantly cooler in February?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There is still room for International football and there should be.

But the amount of games is the issue.

We have 3 breaks before Xmas to play pretty meaningless games and then 3 in the new year.

You could cut these down.

Three things have dimmed my enthusiasm for international football.

1. Constant disappointment from players who have often given a very poor return for their supposed ability.

2. The huge number of breaks in a season which just serve to spoil any sense of flow. How rubbish is the 2022 season going to feel?

3. FIFA should have been disbanded. We still have the same kind of situation as before with corruption ruling, Qatar simply takes the biscuit. The whole thing stinks and I will be praying for some kind of (non life-threatening) disaster to befall that competition before it gets underway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here