Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] PL atmosphere

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Or just make tickets cheaper and therefore more affordable to younger, more energetic crowds. Average age of a Premier League ticket holder is 41 in 2011, it's surely much worse now. Some clubs (West Ham) have had to raise their senior categorisation due to so many of their fans being over 65.
And connected to that is the sheer number of ST holders at PL clubs. Everyone wanting their usual seat and their bottle tops for season after season is not exactly the spontaneous experience of yesteryear. 30k captive STH audience at the Amex every week whereas big crowds used to only be the norm with a winning team and the hardcore small support for a losing BHA team contained a lot less people in the ground for the quality of football and therefore more inclined to get behind the team regardless of what was happening on the pitch. Football fans have changed as well. Like it or not a game at the Amex is a middle class, family day out for many. There are significant upsides to that in terms of safety but it is never going to be the same as the working class crowds of the old days.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
This struck a cord with me...

View attachment 165689
Same old same old, folk thinking 20 yoofs banging a drum is an atmosphere, that constant backfround noise and look at me flag waving regardless of the game is what they crave.

Not for me, I like the organic generation of atmosphere based on what is occurring on the pitch. Constant orchestrated organised noise generation and drum banging doesn't do it for me.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I was watching this video last night and was surprised how much better the atmosphere was in all three of these games in the J League than anywhere you'd get in the UK. Our Japanese friends must be a bit let down by the Amex experience if this is what they're used to. Maybe not 'limbs' but pretty impressive:

To say that was spectacular is an understatement...!

I was prepared to watch a couple of minutes....but finished up watching it all. Puts our grounds and atmosphere to shame.

I now understand why so many Japanese come to watch Mitoma while he is here....and buy the merchandise too. They are fanatical...!!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I was watching this video last night and was surprised how much better the atmosphere was in all three of these games in the J League than anywhere you'd get in the UK. Our Japanese friends must be a bit let down by the Amex experience if this is what they're used to. Maybe not 'limbs' but pretty impressive:

I'm torn on this video. It does look pretty cool but it doesn;t tally with my experience of j league games - but then I've not been to one fr a number of years so things may well have changed for the better.

When I last went it reminded me very much of going to the bseball. Yes the 'ultras' continually banged drums and sang but it had little to do with what was happening on the pitch - the same as in baseball. The atmosphere didn't change in intensity or output regardless of whether their team was playing well or badly and as far as I could tell there was no back and forth between the rival fans. All chants were led, none were organic. It was all a bit sterile.

But, like I said its been a few years since I last went, I'm sure there are Japan based posters who can verify if i'm talking fact or total bollocks about modern j league games. The video certainly makes it seem like a great match day atmosphere. Maybe I'll go again one day and see for myself.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I have also just seen the below video of this famous atmosphere Harry Kane is talking about.

Is hearing Fred Flinstone scream Yabba Dabba Doo into The Can Can really the type of atmosphere we want to imitate?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I have also just seen the below video of this famous atmosphere Harry Kane is talking about.

Is hearing Fred Flinstone scream Yabba Dabba Doo into The Can Can really the type of atmosphere we want to imitate?

looks shit , sounds like Kane quote is him just bum licking bayern fans

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The atmosphere in the Premier Leaugue is genuine. It will deppend on which teams are playing each other and what is happenng on the pitch.

The ultra stuff you see at Europian matches seems to be choreographed and does not relate to what is happening on the pitch, it does look impressive though.
Yeah, as you say, it's very impressive but it also comes across as entirely performative.

I don't doubt that the people involved in these massive pyro laden tifo singalongs absolutely love their clubs but it often looks to me like the football is secondary; that they're Ultras first, and football lovers second and they'd probably have just as much fun if they set themselves up as a travelling carnival act.

Some people will call the AMEX sterile or dull or flat or whatever but I've never really thought that. Perhaps a few times I've noticed it being eerily quiet but usually the context there is that the game itself is also pretty flat :shrug:

People can call me a prawn sandwich eating middle class tourist if they like but I'm not there for a sodding song and dance; I go to the football to watch the football.

And to occasionally call the Ref a C-Word at the top of my lungs (with apologies, again, to the bloke and his young kid I used to sit behind in the ESU - I was quite drunk and it was a particularly poor performance from the man in the middle)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Only way to get great atmosphere back in the UK is proper terraces. Not safe standing and def not seats

Terrace allows the singers to all stand (propery) and the people that prefer to sit can also do so in those areas of the ground

Way too sterile now
This has always been a myth IMO.

We had terraces at the Goldstone, and I went to loads of games when the atmosphere was a like a morgue (and I'm not just talking when we were going down the toilet from the mid-90's). Any atmosphere is 95% driven by whats going on the pitch. If we're STINKING the place out, or there's naff-all going on, or its a humdrum League game against some noddy club with little riding on it, then any atmosphere would (and did) die on its arse.

Most of us will have stood on terraces home and away, and witnessed an incredible atmosphere. But its not generally the norm, or something that always happened just because most of us were standing on a terrace.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
What the PL has that other leagues don’t have is the relative prominence of AWAY fans. I’m thinking of wolves, where we had a full lower deck, or Arsenal where we had a corner as the Albion goals rain in , it’s impossible not to love the sheer presence of the away fans in an English PL stadium. It worked against us on Saturday, and who can forget the Everton end as they pulled off that coupon buster at the end of last season. The away fans being so there and in your face changes the way away teams play in the PL and that (I believe) creates more exciting end to end football that the rest of the world loves. That’s the special sauce - you can stick your ultra pyro tiki taka bollix up your errrse….

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I've heard about certain grounds with an atmosphere and am yet to really experience it. We as an away crowd out sing any home crowd. Liverpool was a massive disappointment for me last season as I'd heard this was the best anywhere

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I'm not as concerned by the atmosphere at games as much as still being treated like criminals for simply wanting to attend a football match and enjoy myself. The way you get looked at and treated by police (more at away games to be fair), the legislation that seemingly only applies to football stadiums and crowds meaning you get viewed as some kind of terrorist if you absent mindedly carry a plastic cup of beer to your seat or dare to argue over killer bottle tops. There are numerous other things that irk me about attending a footy match as opposed to any other sporting event but then I am a grumpy old bastard.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Anyone else feel there is an element of Kane justifying the move to himself?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I'm not as concerned by the atmosphere at games as much as still being treated like criminals for simply wanting to attend a football match and enjoy myself. The way you get looked at and treated by police (more at away games to be fair), the legislation that seemingly only applies to football stadiums and crowds meaning you get viewed as some kind of terrorist if you absent mindedly carry a plastic cup of beer to your seat or dare to argue over killer bottle tops. There are numerous other things that irk me about attending a footy match as opposed to any other sporting event but then I am a grumpy old bastard.
Blimey, the restrictions and treatment you describe are nothing compared to the way we were treated in the 80s. Being looked at in a funny way used to be the least of your worries at football. Try being penned into the lane behind the away end at Fratton Park for over an hour and watching the Portsmouth fans patiently waiting for the police to get bored and melt away, which they did. Or standing on the away terrace at Walsall which was so shallow you had to watch the game through metal railings. I could list hundreds of other examples. In the nicest possible way you don’t know you’re born :)

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Blimey, the restrictions and treatment you describe are nothing compared to the way we were treated in the 80s. Being looked at in a funny way used to be the least of your worries at football. Try being penned into the lane behind the away end at Fratton Park for over an hour and watching the Portsmouth fans patiently waiting for the police to get bored and melt away, which they did. Or standing on the away terrace at Walsall which was so shallow you had to watch the game through metal railings. I could list hundreds of other examples. In the nicest possible way you don’t know you’re born :)
I'm 54 I'm well aware. I get what you're saying and agree it was worse back then but still being made to feel like a second class citizen should be a thing of the past.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I'm 54 I'm well aware. I get what you're saying and agree it was worse back then but still being made to feel like a second class citizen should be a thing of the past.
I haven’t experienced that in the last 20 or so years. We go for a drink and a meal pre game. In the ground the stewards are always helpful although the only contact we have is in being directed to our seats. Don’t need any interaction with the police these days as never see any trouble.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Goal music, yep that's atmosphere. Call and response too. How utterly fabulous....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here