Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] PL atmosphere

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I have also just seen the below video of this famous atmosphere Harry Kane is talking about.

Is hearing Fred Flinstone scream Yabba Dabba Doo into The Can Can really the type of atmosphere we want to imitate?

Imagine going through all of that, just to see it subsequently VARd out of existence :lol:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The atmosphere in the Premier Leaugue is genuine. It will deppend on which teams are playing each other and what is happenng on the pitch.

The ultra stuff you see at Europian matches seems to be choreographed and does not relate to what is happening on the pitch, it does look impressive though.
Completely agree. I'm going to a game to support my team and I'll respond to the match accordingly. I agree that sometimes these great tifos etc look great but I prefer something that is not manufactured. I see the Saudis on Tyneside are now going for the grand shows before games and for me it sums up how utterly plastic that club is now. As for our friends up the road, urgh! just cringeworthy.

The atmosphere at the Amex often gets a bad rap but I have always considered it to be decent even if it is not as grand as others. A simple RDZ banner here or card display there but nothing too fancy. Whatever you think of the atmosphere at the Amex it's organic rather than mass produced. I think that stands for most of English football too and we are none the worse for it.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Completely agree. I'm going to a game to support my team and I'll respond to the match accordingly. I agree that sometimes these great tifos etc look great but I prefer something that is not manufactured. I see the Saudis on Tyneside are now going for the grand shows before games and for me it sums up how utterly plastic that club is now. As for our friends up the road, urgh! just cringeworthy.

The atmosphere at the Amex often gets a bad rap but I have always considered it to be decent even if it is not as grand as others. A simple RDZ banner here or card display there but nothing too fancy. Whatever you think of the atmosphere at the Amex it's organic rather than mass produced. I think that stands for most of English football too and we are none the worse for it.
I liked the way the northstand put up the RDZ flag at the last game, much better then it being moved across the stand. Looked really good from WSU.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
As mentioned, it is partly an age thing - bundles, singing all game because we were mostly up shit creek, abusing the ref, the "danger" of getting in and out of the ground and away safely. Enjoyed all that in the 80s and 90s. Wouldn't enjoy that at my current age.

I'd love to experience more games abroad. I've been to a couple of games in Spain (early 2000s and 10 years or so ago) - at the Nou Camp and at Levante (vs Real Madrid). Enjoyed it immensely, so laid back, but atmosphere? Non existent, much worse than in England.
I'd love to experience a game in Germany or Turkey but only as a one off experience - I agree with the comments above in that I want to watch the game not turn my back and bounce around, not have to follow chants led by a drum or some bloke at the front with a loud hailer. Nor do I want to breathe in flare smoke and be surrounded by right wing Ultras.
I actually enjoy seeing families at the games in the UK and foreign tourists enjoying themselves. And I really enjoy the English way that the atmosphere builds at our games when there's a contescious moment, goal, sending off - and the spinoff humour of comments around me and small funny chants that break out.
Nothing wrong with the atmosphere at English games imho and no need for an inferiority complex comparing it to Ultra-led atmospheres abroad.
Plus Kane is bum licking, of course.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Another everything’s better elsewhere article…yawn!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
As mentioned, it is partly an age thing - bundles, singing all game because we were mostly up shit creek, abusing the ref, the "danger" of getting in and out of the ground and away safely. Enjoyed all that in the 80s and 90s. Wouldn't enjoy that at my current age.

I'd love to experience more games abroad. I've been to a couple of games in Spain (early 2000s and 10 years or so ago) - at the Nou Camp and at Levante (vs Real Madrid). Enjoyed it immensely, so laid back, but atmosphere? Non existent, much worse than in England.
I'd love to experience a game in Germany or Turkey but only as a one off experience - I agree with the comments above in that I want to watch the game not turn my back and bounce around, not have to follow chants led by a drum or some bloke at the front with a loud hailer. Nor do I want to breathe in flare smoke and be surrounded by right wing Ultras.
I actually enjoy seeing families at the games in the UK and foreign tourists enjoying themselves. And I really enjoy the English way that the atmosphere builds at our games when there's a contescious moment, goal, sending off - and the spinoff humour of comments around me and small funny chants that break out.
Nothing wrong with the atmosphere at English games imho and no need for an inferiority complex comparing it to Ultra-led atmospheres abroad.
Plus Kane is bum licking, of course.

Totally agree about Spain. Fans turn up, have a chat, and eat sunflower seeds. The loudest it gets is when they take the foil off their halftime ham sandwich.

My experience of Italian football is so much better. Spent many afternoons and evenings on the Curva Nord in Cagliari and it was rocking every time.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
the fans that crave the better atmosphere are those (like me) that reminisce on how brilliant it was in the 70s and 80s whilst conveniently forgetting how unpleasant the violence was inside and outside the stadiums, how run down the stadiums were, the muddy pitches, and the varying quality on the pitch.

Am I willing to join in the singing? Yes, sometimes and mainly at away matches. Atmosphere can also be used to intimidate the opposing players and fans.

I’d like to be part of a great atmosphere, but it’s conditional on me having a good seat and view in a top class stadium watching top class players and returning home safely.
Maybe you're just too old for football and should transfer to cricket? 😂

I agree re the hoolies, although it was optional!

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Whilst I don't disagree that the atmosphere is obviously better in Germany (and always has been), I'd also argue that we're too dismissive of our own.

Went to see Fulham v Spurs last night as a neutral with a few mates, two of which were Aussies attending their first game in this country. They couldn't believe how good the experience was and thought the atmosphere and standard of football was great. Quite shocked when we said that was a cup game neither team would've been overly bothered with losing and the atmosphere can get much better than that.

Football crowds in this country really give a crap about what is going on on the pitch. Sometimes that means bad performances = bad atmosphere. That's the nature, and beauty of a British crowd.
I watched the fulham spurs game last night (on tv). I was expecting to see a half empty ground, second string teams and crap atmosphere. Really surprising to see a packed ground, strong lineups and the atmosphere sounded excellent on the telly.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Football crowds in this country really give a crap about what is going on on the pitch. Sometimes that means bad performances = bad atmosphere. That's the nature, and beauty of a British crowd.
This.

I also saw that post and read lots of comments claiming that the atmosphere is better and more passionate in lower leagues. I always chuckle at that - total bullshit in my experience of watching the Albion up and down the leagues. Tired rhetoric.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I have also just seen the below video of this famous atmosphere Harry Kane is talking about.

Is hearing Fred Flinstone scream Yabba Dabba Doo into The Can Can really the type of atmosphere we want to imitate?

Jesus if that was over here that'd be (rightly) completely mocked.

Having been to football in Germany, whilst the atmosphere is constant and can be very loud, I've found people overall are nowhere near as invested in the game as over here. Fans really don't react to decisions, chances etc - even goals- in the same way as over here. I'd argue even in the ultras section as they're just wailing and woooing away to the beat of a drum. Most of the time you wouldn't realise the second half had started if you were looking at your phone or whatever.

I like the ebb and flow of atmospheres over here and how invested people are in what's going on on the pitch around the ground (not arguing that the atmosphere overall couldnt still be better at many grounds, though, but its really not bad for the most part - just different and way more reactive to the action).

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Totally agree about Spain. Fans turn up, have a chat, and eat sunflower seeds. The loudest it gets is when they take the foil off their halftime ham sandwich.

My experience of Italian football is so much better. Spent many afternoons and evenings on the Curva Nord in Cagliari and it was rocking every time.
Agree - Spanish atmosphere is for the most part really terrible. Never any way fans either

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
And connected to that is the sheer number of ST holders at PL clubs. Everyone wanting their usual seat and their bottle tops for season after season is not exactly the spontaneous experience of yesteryear. 30k captive STH audience at the Amex every week whereas big crowds used to only be the norm with a winning team and the hardcore small support for a losing BHA team contained a lot less people in the ground for the quality of football and therefore more inclined to get behind the team regardless of what was happening on the pitch. Football fans have changed as well. Like it or not a game at the Amex is a middle class, family day out for many. There are significant upsides to that in terms of safety but it is never going to be the same as the working class crowds of the old days.
Have you been in the north stand recently? There aren’t many middle class folk in there 😂

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Historically English grounds have rarely had the amazing atmosphere some might lead you to believe, this is certainly the case with the Albion. You might have had one stand where there's been a bit of regular sing-song, a few moments where the entire ground joins in, but this is about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here