Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PIG Happy To Wait On New Contract

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He's amongst the top 5 keepers in the division I reckon, two things work against him for me.

1) His distribution is not good enough for the type of game Oscar wants to play.
2) In the FFP world is it wise to have your keeper as one of the top earners at the club? Of ANY position, I reckon there is a lot of value about at keeper. I can't remember the last time I saw a poor opposition keeper at the Amex.

I'm not saying get rid, far from it. But I do think we could get someone 80-90% as good for 50% of the wages and chuck the money saved into attracting something creative in midfield that isn't injured every other game.

This. I think what will transpire with Top Kat -- and Orlandi, Bruno, and a few others -- is that they'll be offered a new contract with a substantially reduced salary. They can take it, remain at a club where they're settled and playing regularly with a fantastic new training facility about to open, or they can gamble and go elsewhere where they'll get more money, but these conditions don't pertain. I know many suggest that it's money that drives footballers these days, but I'm not entirely convinced this motivates all of them solely. Upson, for instance, seems to be having the time of his life, and if offered a bigger salary by another club, I can see him sticking with us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Almost certainly. He'll go to the highest bidder and good luck to him, he's a class act.

Disagree, his first priority will be to be the number one keeper and I don't think he's good enough to get that sort of guarantee at a Premier league club. Not many better places to play in the Championship imo and FFP may well mean that we will be offering close to other teams in this division next season. A relegated club may be his best bet if it's all about money.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Disagree, his first priority will be to be the number one keeper and I don't think he's good enough to get that sort of guarantee at a Premier league club. Not many better places to play in the Championship imo and FFP may well mean that we will be offering close to other teams in this division next season. A relegated club may be his best bet if it's all about money.

Ipswich were after him at the same time as us, but we got his signature. I wonder if we can offer the same terms now?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ipswich were after him at the same time as us, but we got his signature. I wonder if we can offer the same terms now?

Ipswich is hardly a step up from where he is now is it? He wanted to leave United long before they let him go so maybe it's not all about money but about being the number one keeper. I have no idea and I suggest that those who say he will be out of the door as fast as possible haven't either.

We are all guessing, all I'm saying is that he is not as good as some on here seem to think he is, although he is an excellent keeper at Championship level and we must be in with a good shout of keeping him, unless Oscar has someone else in his sights.

In the last month Upson, Greer, Orlandi , Bruno and now Tomas have said how much they love this club. I remember when decent players skirted around the issue. This is a club going places, maybe not as fast as some would like but we are an attractive proposition at this level.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Personally, I'm amazed the club don't try and sort his contract now. Ridiculous to leave it to chance at our end of season.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
He's amongst the top 5 keepers in the division I reckon, two things work against him for me.

1) His distribution is not good enough for the type of game Oscar wants to play.
2) In the FFP world is it wise to have your keeper as one of the top earners at the club? Of ANY position, I reckon there is a lot of value about at keeper. I can't remember the last time I saw a poor opposition keeper at the Amex.

I'm not saying get rid, far from it. But I do think we could get someone 80-90% as good for 50% of the wages and chuck the money saved into attracting something creative in midfield that isn't injured every other game.

I agree with all of this (and Hans point about Gonzalez). He does make some brilliant saves but he's very poor distribution wise and not the best communicator.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Yeah that's a good point, but I'd also say I don't think there are many 'keepers of his caliber in this division. Bogdan is one of the few who I'd take over PIG. If another team decides they need to sort out that position they'd do a lot worse than Tommy, and I think we'd struggle to replace him.

I'm not saying we should break the bank to keep him either - he's good but nobody is irreplaceable and the clubs priority (quite rightly) is balancing the books. For PIG though, he's only got a few years left and I wouldn't blame him if he went elsewhere for more money.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Good keeper.

I still think he's over-rated on here though.

He lets in some pretty saveable goals, imo. Saturday amongst them.

I did raise the possibility that that shot was stoppable on Saturday with our lot and got shot down by everyone bar our ex keeper who mentioned near post (cough cough) .
No doubting the one on one though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When a player says "no rush".... Fear the worst.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Personally, I'm amazed the club don't try and sort his contract now. Ridiculous to leave it to chance at our end of season.

Do we have the ability to offer him terms he could not afford the refuse? I doubt it. He holds the aces. He would be a fool to sign for us now when there are likely to be plenty of suitors.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Do we have the ability to offer him terms he could not afford the refuse? I doubt it. He holds the aces. He would be a fool to sign for us now when there are likely to be plenty of suitors.

We could start the ball rolling instead of waiting until the end of the season. Offers can be improved.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
We could start the ball rolling instead of waiting until the end of the season. Offers can be improved.

And how do you know this hasn't already happened? I would be amazed if the club hasn't at least talked to Tomaz about the situation.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And how do you know this hasn't already happened? I would be amazed if the club hasn't at least talked to Tomaz about the situation.

He's been in the press three times talking about his future at the end of the season. Barnes was offered a contract extension last August and the club made it known.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

But that seems unlikely...the club seem to have a policy ...Bruno and Orlandi have commented on it recently....and yet wasn't Ince due to be out of contract at the end of the season and offered or deal...or were his circumstances different

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Good keeper.

I still think he's over-rated on here though.

He lets in some pretty saveable goals, imo. Saturday amongst them.

Really the bloke absolutely leathered it ! Back of the goal came about 2 ft off the ground. Your not falling for the keeper should never get beaten at the near post cliche?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
He'll be off. Certain he'll get better terms elsewhere.

Disagree. I don't think this is TK trying to push up his money - I think this is him trying to get some security with us. It took a while for his young daughter to settle in school - she is very happy at a good school now and I suspect he wouldn't want to move her.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Reckon he'll get offered better terms elsewhere, good keeper but overrated massively by some in my opinion. Admittedly he is far superior to the other two first team 'keepers' but some visiting keepers have always really impressed me when visiting the Amex. Butland on loan would be a decent option for example.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here