Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pierluigi Collina makes a good point with clips of Villa shown

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I went to a basketball game the other night, and it struck me how easy it is to have a clock that everyone can see that stops when the game stops. And it makes the last few minutes more exciting as everyone can see it counting down. All that then needs to be decided is how many minutes games should be. The average ball in play time currently is 55 minutes so that’s a decent starting point, albeit not a nice round number.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I went to a basketball game the other night, and it struck me how easy it is to have a clock that everyone can see that stops when the game stops. And it makes the last few minutes more exciting as everyone can see it counting down. All that then needs to be decided is how many minutes games should be. The average ball in play time currently is 55 minutes so that’s a decent starting point, albeit not a nice round number.
60 minutes seems like the most obvious choice. Yes it is a bit more than the average today, but the average today is a bit low IMO and probably lower compared to a couple of decades ago.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
I'm saying I think it will be difficult to police, and that's your response?
There is a much simple solution, allow treatment to continue whilst the game is playing.

There would be less "rolling around" if the game continued without them and for genuine injuries and necessary stoppages the refs would easily be able to see how the physios are responding to the player.

The only reason play would need to be stopped whilst treatment is taking place on the field is when it's considered "interfering with play" which I realise opens up a whole new can of worms.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There is a much simple solution, allow treatment to continue whilst the game is playing.

As was pointed out before, what if that's in the penalty area? Does a downed defender play attackers onside? What if a shot is stopped by the physio? What if someone has genuine concussion and then they get hit again?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As was pointed out before, what if that's in the penalty area? Does a downed defender play attackers onside? What if a shot is stopped by the physio? What if someone has genuine concussion and then they get hit again?
Indeed. People would find it nice and refreshing to start with but it would only take one incident of someone smashing a ball at a physio treating a broken ankle or something before it would be considered too risky and wonky.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Indeed. People would find it nice and refreshing to start with but it would only take one incident of someone smashing a ball at a physio treating a broken ankle or something before it would be considered too risky and wonky.
It works well enough in Rugby, it would soon stamp out the non-urgent "treatment" that players need when a break in oppositions play would help them. I, by all means am not bringing a solid solution but it is a start to get rid of the blatant tactics used by teams to halt momentum of another team.

Ultimately it would be the refs call to stop play, @Triggaaar so if there was a genuine concussion or a player injured in a dangerous position you'd hope that a competent ref would be able to make that judgement call.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here