Picking Sloes (for people of a certain age and sadness)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Or bullaces. We have both sloes and bullaces out our way and they look very similar. Check the difference by tasting. If it is utterly repellent, it's a sloe. But that won't detract from the fact that, after a few weeks steeped in sugary gin, sloes are utterly transformed.

Agree Lord B. Bullaces also make excellent gin, and they don't have a thorny problem of picking 'em.

I once made some sloe jam from a load of bushes near the reservoir above Polegate. It was revolting.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Some say I need to get a life, but the excitement of finding the Sloe bush of all Sloe bushes sent a tingle up my spine! 3lbs in 20MINS!! And have made my first litre of sloe gin!

As I can't really drink beer any more and I likes me a drop of gin, last Christmas I was very eager to try some sloe gin. I really thought I would like it ..... but I didn't. I really didn't, and was v disappointed. Pah.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Smoke the sloe's before making the gin.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
:needpics:

because I don't know what they look like (I'm a bit sloe today.... fwnar fwnar fwnar)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I won't be picking them until after the first frost.

Given the combination of global warming and the recent renewed interest in Sloe Gin in the last few years, you probably won't have any left to pick by then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports