Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pickford Timewaster

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Pickford was up to his usual tricks yesterday, timewasting from the start. He is well known for his antics, so the Brighton fans at the match were calling out loud the number of seconds Pickford held on to the ball. I'm sure the referee could hear but, as usual he was allowed to get away with it.

Why is this law of the game allowed to continue unpunished?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When was the last time you saw a keeper penalised for holding the ball for longer than the prescribed six seconds, resulting in an indirect free-kick for the opposition?

No, me neither. The rule might as well not exist.

Although in researching this mid-post, Mignolet was penalised for holding it for 22 seconds for Liverpool against Bordeaux.

Kenn

Jun 15, 2023
Pickford was up to his usual tricks yesterday, timewasting from the start. He is well known for his antics, so the Brighton fans at the match were calling out loud the number of seconds Pickford held on to the ball. I'm sure the referee could hear but, as usual he was allowed to get away with it.

Why is this law of the game allowed to continue unpunished?
To be fair, while many fans were counting they were counting vary fast so out of curiosity I timed our counting and when we got to twelve it was only six real seconds gone. So yes Pickford was taking longer than six seconds but not the twenty than the counting got to.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The refereeing was awful yesterday again.

Unfortunately we’re back to time wasting just being accepted. It feels like it was cracked down on in August and now we’re all forgetting it again. Four minutes addition yesterday - should have been more like seven. Fulham got away with murder last week. Yet at Wolves Pascal was booked for moving the ball maybe three yards.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
When was the last time you saw a keeper penalised for holding the ball for longer than the prescribed six seconds, resulting in an indirect free-kick for the opposition?

No, me neither. The rule might as well not exist.
Does the law exist now? Assumed it was axed.

Edit: It does!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The refereeing was awful yesterday again.

Unfortunately we’re back to time wasting just being accepted. It feels like it was cracked down on in August and now we’re all forgetting it again. Four minutes addition yesterday - should have been more like seven. Fulham got away with murder last week. Yet at Wolves Pascal was booked for moving the ball maybe three yards.
Do you not feel this happens quite often where they announce an ‘initiative’ at the start of a season then 4 or so weeks later it disappears into the ether and absolutely nothing is achieved

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Do you not feel this happens quite often where they announce an ‘initiative’ at the start of a season then 4 or so weeks later it disappears into the ether and absolutely nothing is achieved
Yes, this is exactly what I feel. It's immensely frustrating. Must drive players, coaches and fans mad.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Does the law exist now? Assumed it was axed.

Edit: It does!

Indeed.

I probably went through the same research as you, but I did it before I made my post!

Incredible, isn't it?!?

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
In addition to time wasting has the early season initiative to yellow card players that kick away the ball after the whistle now finished in November ? I saw Everton do it on at least 3 occasions yesterday - all the Brighton players pointed it out to the ref who did nothing.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Can people please stop whinging about the Everton game.

Everton should have had a penalty btw.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Can people please stop whinging about the Everton game.

Everton should have had a penalty btw.
They are discussing it. On a discussion board. I don't think anyone here has said it was the ref's fault we 'only' drew. I too thought they could have had a pen - him missing that as well doesn't make him any better.
And I'm going to add to it. It seems extraordinary that refs can't seem to stick to the guidance after the first few weeks of a season. I understand that the idea is to crack down on it hard at first so that habits change but players being players have realised that they can now do the time wasting, blocking, crowding round the ref again because the attention span of the officials is clearly so short that they've already forgotten what they were told at the start of the season.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
They are discussing it. On a discussion board. I don't think anyone here has said it was the ref's fault we 'only' drew. I too thought they could have had a pen - him missing that as well doesn't make him any better.
And I'm going to add to it. It seems extraordinary that refs can't seem to stick to the guidance after the first few weeks of a season. I understand that the idea is to crack down on it hard at first so that habits change but players being players have realised that they can now do the time wasting, blocking, crowding round the ref again because the attention span of the officials is clearly so short that they've already forgotten what they were told at the start of the season.
Interestingly, I learned of fish who have a memory span of 3 seconds. Are refs descended from fish?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It’s so obvious yet officials do nothing. He has a free kick or goal kick and whilst there’s subs deliberately walks 10m+ ahead of the ball to pretend to chat to someone. So when the minute is up for the subs (which is also way too long) and the idiot ref blows to restart play. He’s nowhere near ready and wastes another 30 secs. So obvious and clear and the ref just does nothing about it. Infuriating.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Last season Everton had a set routine - Pickford would catch the ball then flop onto the ground. He would like flat on his face until one or two of his team- mates came over to him. They would press down on his back and have a chat for a few seconds before he got up then took an eternity to release the ball.

Why he was able to get away with that for so long is incredible.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Goal kicks: The centre backs always drop off to pretend they want the ball. Everyone knows they aren’t good enough to play out from the back, and we all know that a GK is banned from playing it short under the management of Dyche. Pickford will then fake thinking about playing it short. And then he will wave them up the pitch before launching it long.

Every time.

Takes 30-60 seconds out the game every goal kick.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Only way to stop it is to ove to 30mins live football each half. Pickford can then take as long as wants
Except the ball is live when he's holding it.

Agree about the 30 mins live play per half though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here