Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Phrases you hate people saying

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
You can't underestimate how good a player he is.

Said regularly by pundits on sky. Pisses me right off

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Dude is another one that seems to have been imported from the States like Reaching Out and Cool.

The rules are pretty clear; We all know the one about Reaching Out, Dude can only be applied when talking about Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski and Cool can only be applied to Steve McQueen who was the King of Cool

Not wishing to be awkward (and then being awkward), but Miles Davis ?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Dude is another one that seems to have been imported from the States like Reaching Out and Cool.

The rules are pretty clear; We all know the one about Reaching Out, Dude can only be applied when talking about Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski and Cool can only be applied to Steve McQueen who was the King of Cool

He was the cooler King.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Couldnt find a thread on this so started anew..I'm sure we all have pet hates for phrases which people say that get on your nerves but we are too polite to "correct" the person saying it. Few i've recently been confronted with.

- "I'll be in touch". (BAD BAD BAD during covid :) ) - No please dont touch me just call me back
- "Back In a mo." - how fekking long is a mo ? I've heard this twice in the past fortnight - 1st time the caller too roughly 20 seconds and the 2nd one was gone for over 3 minutes so i hung up!. They dont even bother telling you WHY they will be back in a mo.
- acronyms - once was told this word for word..."Our PA from HR will post your CV , PDQ' :tosser: - he even got that wrong - he meant my reference not CV. a CV belongs to me not them.

Hold the line.

I am on a frigging mobile!!!!!
On a landline I would reply ok I am holding the line, what next?

Not a phrase but an intonation.
Why does every female under 30 seem to copy the Americans and end every sentence as if it were a question? grrrrr

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Cricket commentators who say “he did the hard bit but dropped the catch”

In what world is running in a straight line for 20 metres the hard bit compared to catching something akin to a rock falling from a great height?

Yes I get you have to judge it but compared to actually completing the catch that is easy!

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
You can't underestimate how good a player he is.

Said regularly by pundits on sky. Pisses me right off

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I can't say that anyone has ever said to me "Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk" - but I guess I can see how that phrase might annoy you.

:)

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Surprised it's not been mentioned already but:

"Listen...."

Every pundit / person answering a question seems to have to get that in now days. Does my head in

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Karma is real, as long as you have a conscience, I hope you have a conscience, so I hope you are wrong about Karma.

I wish it were so, but IMO karma is just an illusion that helps people make sense of an unjust world. Decent, honest people die in appalling conditions every day whilst ex Nazi Commandants die comfortably of old age in their sleep in South America. I do have a conscience but I think that is completely different to karma where Hindus and Buddhists believe that somebody's actions in a previous existence determine their fate in the future. I don't believe in reincarnation, I think we live in a universe where things happens at random, not for a reason

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
My bad.

No it wasn’t. There is no such thing a "a bad". It was your mistake. And by the way, your mistake was thinking you know how to speak English.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here