[Brighton] Photos of Brighton 1976

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Nice to see so many replies to this thread, great to read the memories of going drinking in Brighton.
I get the feeling I was the only one to not go to the Hungry Years. :D
There is another thread that was started around 2008ish about the pubs and clubs of Brighton and is a good read. Just don't ask me to find and paste on here as i haven't got a clue how to do it,:rolleyes:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I know the feeling. I never went to Sherry's, or Top Rank or Jenkinson's or any number of late night clubs. Judging by other responses, I'm the only person brought up in Brighton in the 70s and 80s who never went there

I only saw bands in Jenkinsons, Sunday nights late 70s and early 80s, Top Rank probably been once on a weekend normal club night but several times to see bands.
Too young to go to Sherrys, it had changed to Pink Coconut when I started going to clubs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well yes. :lolol:

I'll rephrase the question: Was it a rock club in '74? I think John and Pepa took it over in '76, but what was it prior to '76, when you went?

I went from when I was 15 or 16 which was around 73/4. It seemed just the same to me after the new owners arrived (which I only vaguely remember). Same decor, same pie and peas. We all used to eat the pie (I think it was a pasty - can't really remember) rather than chuck it about the place. I drank whisky and ginger in there (too much beer can come up again, as it did down the Basement some years later when I was a punk and thought that 3 pints in 15 minutes was the best fuel for a pogo - tw@). I was on the dancefloor all night at all times back in the day. The rush for the last train home was always emotional. I had to walk back to Portslade a couple of times after missing it. I was a skinny as a stick back then - all the dancing and smoking.

As I said in 92 it was exactly the same.

Hi Ho Silver Lining
Space Trucking
Silver Machine
Third Uncle
One of These Days
School's Out
Faith Healer
Space Station number 5
Weaver's Answer
Back Street Luv
Paranoid
Out Demons Out

Name the bands without looking them up. The last one is the trickiest :wink:

As I mentioned before, Stuart the DJ played Anarchy in the UK for a bit, till he decided to smash it to bits one night. I stopped going after that (till my one visit in 92).

And there is the legend that Cardiff boyos tried to get into the club with a harpoon gun after a game with The Albion. Would have been around 74.

Anyone remember Martin (sweetie) Webster's non-facist sister? She would be around 62 by now. Crikey?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I went from when I was 15 or 16 which was around 73/4. It seemed just the same to me after the new owners arrived (which I only vaguely remember). Same decor, same pie and peas. We all used to eat the pie (I think it was a pasty - can't really remember) rather than chuck it about the place. I drank whisky and ginger in there (too much beer can come up again, as it did down the Basement some years later when I was a punk and thought that 3 pints in 15 minutes was the best fuel for a pogo - tw@). I was on the dancefloor all night at all times back in the day. The rush for the last train home was always emotional. I had to walk back to Portslade a couple of times after missing it. I was a skinny as a stick back then - all the dancing and smoking.

As I said in 92 it was exactly the same.

Hi Ho Silver Lining
Space Trucking
Silver Machine
Third Uncle
One of These Days
School's Out
Faith Healer
Space Station number 5
Weaver's Answer
Back Street Luv
Paranoid
Out Demons Out

Name the bands without looking them up. The last one is the trickiest :wink:

As I mentioned before, Stuart the DJ played Anarchy in the UK for a bit, till he decided to smash it to bits one night. I stopped going after that (till my one visit in 92).

And there is the legend that Cardiff boyos tried to get into the club with a harpoon gun after a game with The Albion. Would have been around 74.

Anyone remember Martin (sweetie) Webster's non-facist sister? She would be around 62 by now. Crikey?

Edgar Broughton Band. Tricky? Really? Remember the NSC demographic:)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Pav Tav is where I spent my lunch hour on the day I moved to another branch of a well known bank opposite. Spent the afternoon upstairs lying on a table hoping to recover enough to venture back downstairs for my farewell at the end of the day and receive my parting gift of a Parker Pen. Needless to say no chequebooks were printed that afternoon.

My abiding memory of 70's Hungry Years is of a rubber chicken being thrown around the room late in the evening. No idea if that was a thing or I was just 'lucky' to be there that night.

Bath Arms in the Lanes was a favourite for a pint and a game of bar billiards before heading to The Dome for some gig or other.

My other abiding memory is how I used to happily down 7 or 8 Pernod and Blacks in the 70s before jumping in my Mini to drive home.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Pav Tav is where I spent my lunch hour on the day I moved to another branch of a well known bank opposite. Spent the afternoon upstairs lying on a table hoping to recover enough to venture back downstairs for my farewell at the end of the day and receive my parting gift of a Parker Pen. Needless to say no chequebooks were printed that afternoon.

My abiding memory of 70's Hungry Years is of a rubber chicken being thrown around the room late in the evening. No idea if that was a thing or I was just 'lucky' to be there that night.

Bath Arms in the Lanes was a favourite for a pint and a game of bar billiards before heading to The Dome for some gig or other.

My other abiding memory is how I used to happily down 7 or 8 Pernod and Blacks in the 70s before jumping in my Mini to drive home.

Were you at that particular bank in 1974/75?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Funny how those pics remind you how conservative Brighton was in those days. Maybe compared to Britain as a whole it was still rather hedonistic, but mainly in a saucy, seaside postcard kind of way.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Funny how those pics remind you how conservative Brighton was in those days. Maybe compared to Britain as a whole it was still rather hedonistic, but mainly in a saucy, seaside postcard kind of way.

Conservative?

There's a YELLOW Cortina in the very first picture! :wozza:

:moo:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed I was, although no longer at that branch. I returned in 1989, but 74/75 I was at Burgess Hill.:bigwave:

One of my older brothers and a mate of his worked for one year at NW Castle Square after leaving school in 1974. I remember three things about his time there.

- a translucent globe NW piggy bank, given as a gift to me.
- Laurence Olivier was a customer.
- they said there was pervy assistant manager, a loser, who preyed on teenage female staff. Unrequited, these days it would be sexual assault. At their one Xmas do there, they caught the perv who’d trapped a young girl in a room who was crying. My drunken bro, a big bloke, grabbed the perv and slammed him against a wall and slurred something along the lines of “Don’t fkn touch her again”. Nothing was ever said, bro kept his job.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Was it still a rock club, in '74?

For anyone interested, there's Facebook group for the Years. :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2412138951

There's a detailed history of how it all started on the facebook thread. Unfortunately the more recent comments stray from the topic into trivial subjects. Cats, performing children etc and best ignored. But lots about old times from some of the door staff and bar. Even some messages from John and Peppa.

One of the original DJs possibly Stuart, put together a great playlist on Spotify.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
One of my older brothers and a mate of his worked for one year at NW Castle Square after leaving school in 1974. I remember three things about his time there.

- a translucent globe NW piggy bank, given as a gift to me.
- Laurence Olivier was a customer.
- they said there was pervy assistant manager, a loser, who preyed on teenage female staff. Unrequited, these days it would be sexual assault. At their one Xmas do there, they caught the perv who’d trapped a young girl in a room who was crying. My drunken bro, a big bloke, grabbed the perv and slammed him against a wall and slurred something along the lines of “Don’t fkn touch her again”. Nothing was ever said, bro kept his job.

Phew. Glad I wasn't there in '74! Mind you staff Christmas parties were pretty close to the wire for decades.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports