[Brighton] Photos of Brighton 1976

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I do remember going in there once to see what it was like, but back in late 70's early 80's when I lived in Kemp Town, the Bulldog was our regular.

That's changed a bit :lolol:

I did go to few gay clubs, with girlfriends (said in overly deep voice) or mate when every one club was shut in the week. Bolts (Sunday nights at The Pink Cocunut) was literally the only choice, but they played incredible dance music.

These days I'd be called Woke or a Virtue Signaller.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I did go to few gay clubs, with girlfriends (said in overly deep voice) or mate when every one club was shut in the week. Bolts (Sunday nights at The Pink Cocunut) was literally the only choice, but they played incredible dance music.

Ha! I worked at The New Regent, next door, for a while, and Sunday night there was 'rock night'. Was always amusing to see two totally different cultures piling out at the end of the night, and mingling in West Street.
If I remember correctly, there was rarely any aggravation, either, as both factions seemed very tolerant of each other.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Back then the Bulldog was just a 'locals' pub like any other in town. I remember one of the barmen and a few customers were gay, but it wasn't what defined the pub.

Ha! I worked at The New Regent, next door, for a while, and Sunday night there was 'rock night'. Was always amusing to see two totally different cultures piling out at the end of the night, and mingling in West Street.
If I remember correctly, there was rarely any aggravation, either, as both factions seemed very tolerant of each other.

Yes indeed, the years of 'tolerance' .... sigh

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Bolts must’ve brought in their own booze. They had ice cold cans of Colt45, beautiful stuff.

As a lifetime night owl, I was gutted when it closed at 11 or 12pm. The old licensing laws were a joke …. thank you to Tony Blair I think for ridding us of the WW1 nonsense.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Back then the Bulldog was just a 'locals' pub like any other in town. I remember one of the barmen and a few customers were gay, but it wasn't what defined the pub.

Yes indeed, the years of 'tolerance' .... sigh

Can I just say, gay-bashing was a big thing. Various gf’s knew loads of gay men, many took brutal kickings in east Brighton from neanderthals. Sorry.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Can I just say, gay-bashing was a big thing. Various gf’s knew loads of gay men, many took brutal kickings in east Brighton from neanderthals. Sorry.

I concur - it went on a lot, but I'll still say that it wasn't a thing carried out by the rock club customers - more the 'lads' out on the piss in other venues.
Most of us were too busy listening/headbanging to music, than cause grief to gay folk.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I concur - it went on a lot, but I'll still say that it wasn't a thing carried out by the rock club customers - more the 'lads' out on the piss in other venues.
Most of us were too busy listening/headbanging to music, than cause grief to gay folk.

Yep, that.

Thick as shit scummers heading home. The age old story, they hadn’t pulled and couldn’t take it, so then either attack someone in West Street and/or a gay person in St James’s Street.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I get the feeling I was the only one to not go to the Hungry Years. :D

I know the feeling. I never went to Sherry's, or Top Rank or Jenkinson's or any number of late night clubs. Judging by other responses, I'm the only person brought up in Brighton in the 70s and 80s who never went there

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Streets look clean and no rubbish.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

It was the same when I was a punk in the late 70s. Half our gang were gay. Mind you, a lot of yobs were a bit scared of the punks. I only ever got problems from Teds at Portslade station.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

To be fair I was being a bit blase about something that was bad at the time. One of my mates at the time was a big evil ****er who happened to be gay. He put a few homophobes right about what would happen if they tried 'gay bashing' :lolol:

But it was a problem at the time, and still, but thank god far less, today. Although it seems the majority of homophobes/racists and other inadequates don't get out from behind their keyboards much these days. I like to think some of that was down to my mate :thumbsup:

(And there I go again)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To be fair I was being a bit blase about something that was bad at the time. One of my mates at the time was a big evil ****er who happened to be gay. He put a few homophobes right about what would happen if they tried 'gay bashing' :lolol:

But it was a problem at the time, and still, thank god far less today. Although it seems the majority of homophobes/racists and other inadequates don't get out from behind their keyboards much these days. I like to think some of that was down to my mate :thumbsup:

(And there I go again)

Going anecdotally by the odd incident in the Argus for example, it’s definitely crept back. Lesbian couples attacked by male thugs elsewhere in the UK too.

I love stories like that in your first para. I ‘know’ of a few similar incidents in the hetero male world back in the 80’s …. chavvy perpetrators who cowardly attacked the wrong people in Brighton and the next day would’ve very much regretted their blunder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports